PDA

View Full Version : Laptop computer question- AMD vs Intel

dennis thompson
05-07-2012, 8:51 AM
I am looking to buy a basic laptop for my grandson and know very little about computers (to say the least)
I'm looking at two Dell computers from Best Buy:
The first one is $350. has an AMD dual core processor(whatever that means?), and is rated 4.8 of 5 in reviews.
The second one is $400, has an Intel core i3-235 m processor (?) and is rated 4.6 out of 5 in reviews.
They both have 4 GB of memory & 500 GB hard drives.
Any thoughts or suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis

Tim Boger
05-07-2012, 9:19 AM
For the intended purpose I don't think you would go wrong with either ....... for what it's worth, I would go with the Intel i3.

Tim

Brian Elfert
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
You have to be careful with the AMD processors as they make some very low end processors for cheap laptops. There is one AMD processor that isn't much faster than the processor in the Dell computer I bought in 2005!

cpubenchmark.net is a good place to compare the speed of different processors.

Myk Rian
05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
As a rule, AMD CPUs cost less, translating to lower cost of a computer. You pay for the Intel name.
I've always had AMD CPUs in my systems. There really is no difference in function.

Steve Meliza
05-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm guessing you're looking at the AMD E-450 and Intel i3-2350M. Assuming there are plenty of reviews, the difference between the two scores is insignificant. Key differences would be in battery life and CPU and graphics power. I'm typing this reply on a laptop with an i5-2540M that has integrated HD 3000 graphics which is what the i3-2350M has, it is certainly sufficient for my needs on this laptop.

From just looking at the CPU specs I can tell that the AMD chip is about 8-10 months older than the Intel chip and doesn't have nearly as much power. Using the cpubenchmark.net website provided by Brian we see the Intel is 4x more powerful:
http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2350M+%40+2.30GHz
http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+E-450+APU

I guess it boils down to paying $50 less or getting a more powerful laptop that won't show its age nearly as quickly and will be usable for longer. I've had both AMD and Intel processors over the years and always go with which gives me the most bang for the buck and always buy as much CPU as I can so it gives me the most years of service before feeling too slow.

Kevin W Johnson
05-07-2012, 1:43 PM
You have to be careful with the AMD processors as they make some very low end processors for cheap laptops. There is one AMD processor that isn't much faster than the processor in the Dell computer I bought in 2005!

cpubenchmark.net is a good place to compare the speed of different processors.

Im sure the same could be said about low end Intel processors , if not currently, certainly in the past. Intel has a long history of questionable business practices, and we're darn lucky that AMD has held in there and is still in business. Intel CPU's are already high priced, and would certainly double or triple in price in the absence of AMD. In looking at cpu benchmarks in your link, there's one example of two cpu's, nearly equal in performance, but the Intel costs $1000 more. In this case, I'd say Intel still has a hand in the poor offerings at Dell when it concerns AMD based laptops. Dell doesn't sell AMD laptops on it's website, only in retail, and even then the processor choices are poor. Anyways, that's a whole different discussion.

In this case, the AMD E-450 in the above mentioned laptop out scores many of the Intel Core2 Duo mobile processors used in the past, but gets a spanking from the i3 in the other laptop and other current offerings. If only considering those two laptops, the choice is an easy one.

Larry Browning
05-07-2012, 2:24 PM
Please do not over think this decision. For basic computing: email, web browsing, simple word processing, etc... any computer you find on a shelf or online will be more than capable. I look at these type of computers more like buying fruit at the grocery store, just find the one that looks good, give a quick sniff, put it the basket and head to the checkout. It doesn't matter what brand it is or what processor it has, it will work and work well for basic computing. It really is that simple. It didn't used to be that way, but it is now.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-07-2012, 3:16 PM
I recently picked up a laptop for a friend. I decided to search hard for an Intel i5 because it seems to benchmark much faster than the i3. I managed to find one on sale at Microcenter for $450. Nice little laptop

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383677

Sadly, I think that it is an instore only special, not sure if you live near a microcenter or not.

Erik France
05-07-2012, 4:00 PM
Please do not over think this decision. For basic computing: email, web browsing, simple word processing, etc... any computer you find on a shelf or online will be more than capable. I look at these type of computers more like buying fruit at the grocery store, just find the one that looks good, give a quick sniff, put it the basket and head to the checkout. It doesn't matter what brand it is or what processor it has, it will work and work well for basic computing. It really is that simple. It didn't used to be that way, but it is now.I do agree that is the case for most of the inexpensive machines, but you can still get a little added value with doing some research. Even just basic computing for the newer generations isn't all that basic. My daughter and niece will do some video editing on material they shot on their phones, as well as some photo work.

Steve has some good advice.

Larry Browning
05-07-2012, 6:07 PM
I do agree that is the case for most of the inexpensive machines, but you can still get a little added value with doing some research. Even just basic computing for the newer generations isn't all that basic. My daughter and niece will do some video editing on material they shot on their phones, as well as some photo work.

Steve has some good advice.

I do agree that Steve's advise is sound for someone who actually cares about these things (such as myself). But my experience has been that all of that research is just wasted on the casual basic user who just wants to check email, browse the web, and do some research papers. Just about everything you see in the stores will do what these users need and more. Its just not worth the extra effort. I have advised many people on purchasing a new computer, I used to spend all sorts of time finding the best bang of the buck for these people. I finally came to the realization all that research was moot for a basic computer. They all have plenty of processing power, memory and hard drive space. They all are reliable and priced so low that replacement is more economical than repair in the unlikely event that something fails. The main decisions should be base on how big the monitor is and what color the case is. This is actually sad news for someone who loves the geekyness of all this, like me, but that is the way it is these days. The last few people that have asked me for advise on which computer to get, I have told them to go down to Wal-Mart, Target, or what ever store is closed to their house, find one in a color they liked and buy it. It has always worked out great.

Paul Gallian
05-07-2012, 6:13 PM
Ask your grandson which he would prefer!! Disappointment hurts.. I am thinking that he will know the difference.

paul

Curt Harms
05-08-2012, 9:06 AM
If your grandson is going to use this machine unplugged, also pay attention to battery life. Intel used to have the edge there. With the new generation of AMD processors I'm not sure if that's still true or not. I tend to agree with Larry, pick your color. I'd consider things like how the screen looks, how the keyboard feels. I dislike shiny screens, they reflect overhead lights and other things messing with the oncreen image. I prefer matte screens for instance and prefer 'stick' pointers to touch pads but having both are optimal. Unless he's doing high end photo editing, transcoding video and other processor intensive tasks, processor speed - while easily benchmarked and thus often quoted - may not be primary usability or value determinant. For instance, I have a 10 year old PIII Thinkpad (not running Windows) that will do 90% of what I need a PC for.

Greg Portland
05-08-2012, 1:26 PM
Please do not over think this decision. For basic computing: email, web browsing, simple word processing, etc... any computer you find on a shelf or online will be more than capable. I look at these type of computers more like buying fruit at the grocery store, just find the one that looks good, give a quick sniff, put it the basket and head to the checkout.+1. There is a reason that manufacturers are pushing Ultrabooks... energy usage is the real feature for most people (how long will it last on a battery). I would just add that you purchase from a reputable dealer who honor their warranties.

dennis thompson
06-08-2012, 6:27 AM
Please do not over think this decision. For basic computing: email, web browsing, simple word processing, etc... any computer you find on a shelf or online will be more than capable. I look at these type of computers more like buying fruit at the grocery store, just find the one that looks good, give a quick sniff, put it the basket and head to the checkout. It doesn't matter what brand it is or what processor it has, it will work and work well for basic computing. It really is that simple. It didn't used to be that way, but it is now.
Well I followed Larry's advice & bought an HP laptop from Costco, my grandson is very happy with it. It only cost $329, plus Costco extends the manufacturers warranty to 2 years. Given that he is pretty rough on his computer this was important to me.
Thanks for all the good advice.
Dennis

Larry Browning
06-08-2012, 7:45 AM
Great! I am sure you and your grandson won't be sorry! Wow! $329 There was a time not too long ago that the best deal on a laptop was around 2 grand.

Myk Rian
06-08-2012, 9:44 AM
I have always liked HP machines. Good choice.

Larry Browning
06-08-2012, 7:52 PM
Just for grins, what are the specs on that bad boy??

dennis thompson
06-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Just for grins, what are the specs on that bad boy??
Larry
HP 2000z laptop AMD dual core e-300 1.6ghz AMD radeon 6310m discrete class graphics, 4 mb , 320 gb, 6 cell lithium ion battery,Kaspery antivirus. By the way,other than the 4gb of memory, I don't know what any of that means! But my grandson says it does everything he needs (as you said it would)
Thanks again
Dennis