PDA

View Full Version : Best Live Center

Jim Paulson
05-07-2012, 8:04 AM
Hi all,

Just upgraded to a nicer lathe:) I went from a Delta 46-111 to a Delta 46-521. The difference is staggering so far in terms of performance.

Now it is time for me to invest in a premium live center and it will be used for turning spindles (Windsor chair legs).

What do you recommend? Is the Oneway live center at $120 the way to go?

Thanks,
Jim

Eric Holmquist
05-07-2012, 8:49 AM
The Onway live center is fantastic. It is very rugged and comes with lots of options for tips. There are aftermarket suppliers of specialty tips. The 3/4"-10 threads allow you to make your own screw on special purpose tips.

Jim Paulson
05-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks Eric. I understand that the Oneway live center includes some parts made of aluminum, like the outer cone. Does that affect performance?

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
I bought the Nova live center. I like it. The OneWay is probably better, but the Nova is about half price. It does have a hollowing center, which is the main reason I got it. There's a thread here on Nova vs Oneway if you google it. I didn't follow the link.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I have the oneway and nova both. I find myself using the oneway more often but the nova is a good one to have.

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
The One Way is probably the best ,but Jet makes a clone to it that is very good at a lower price.

Tom Winship
05-07-2012, 2:12 PM
I just got my Jet lathe and it has the OW knockoff on it. Love it. And as Joe said, cheaper at Jet.
I've turned tenons down to probably 1/64-1/32 before the break. Lots of room to work around the center.

Jamie Donaldson
05-07-2012, 2:39 PM
There have been many problems with the Jet knockoff of the Oneway center. The bearings are not of the Oneway quality and design, and I've seen several that just didn't hold up under sustained heavy use.

Jim Paulson
05-07-2012, 4:47 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Joe,
I couldn't find any of those Jet live centers that you spoke about.

Otherwise it does seem a toss up between Nova and Oneway. Just as information, is the Nova live center made in China? I like to support North America business whenever I can.

Joe Meirhaeghe
05-07-2012, 5:10 PM
There have been many problems with the Jet knockoff of the Oneway center. The bearings are not of the Oneway quality and design, and I've seen several that just didn't hold up under sustained heavy use.
Jamie, I have a Jet knock off & it's never had any problems. I some times turn Very large & heavy pieces. I've not heard of any problems & I know at least 4 other people that have them.
Jim I would check with a Jet dealer, or call Jet & ask them for a part #.

Sid Matheny
05-07-2012, 5:17 PM
So do the Nova & Jet both have the 3/4"-10 threads?

Sid

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2012, 7:16 PM
So do the Nova & Jet both have the 3/4"-10 threads?

Sid

The center that came with my Jet 1642 does, I don't think the Nova does. BUT the Nova does have a few accessories that may make up for that. I'm pretty sure there's a threaded center, but it's not a 3/4-10 like the Jet. I got the Nova to upgrade the center that came with my Jet 1014, which does have some inferior bearings. I like my 1642 live center too.

Jamie Donaldson
05-07-2012, 7:46 PM
Joe, if you use the Jet center a lot, check that the brass faceplate doesn't unscrew and allow slop in the bearing stack. The brass plate has 2 holes for use with a spanner wrench, and that plate needs to be fixed in place with a sealing material like Locktite, and few people have access to that type of spanner wrench.

James Combs
05-07-2012, 8:33 PM
Joe, if you use the Jet center a lot, check that the brass faceplate doesn't unscrew and allow slop in the bearing stack. The brass plate has 2 holes for use with a spanner wrench, and that plate needs to be fixed in place with a sealing material like Locktite, and few people have access to that type of spanner wrench.

I have had the problem Jamie refers to(loose back plate) with a PSI live center but haven't had any problems with my Jet 1642 center other then self inflicted problems. I am not fond of the aluminum outer shell point because I tend to ding it, break it, or otherwise damage it. I have had to turn a new point on it a couple times with my metal lathe.

John Keeton
05-07-2012, 8:52 PM
I am not fond of the aluminum outer shell point because I tend to ding it, break it, or otherwise damage it. I have had to turn a new point on it a couple times with my metal lathe.I have done the same, but just place a small bolt through the hole in the shaft that is used to remove the cone tip. That way, you can simply put it in your headstock drive and spin in to turn or sand the nose cone.

Also, I notice Craft Supplies sells a center with a hardened cone for around $70. I know nothing of the quality.

paul vechart
05-07-2012, 9:21 PM
I have a Delta 46-460 lathe and the live center that it came with quickly developed a wobble (single bearing). I bought the Nova and it works nice (3 bearings). It is longer than the original Delta live center so I lost over an inch on turning capacity. The Oneway was another inch longer yet so I would have given up 2 inches with that one although it's one of the best. Multistar is another good brand (from the UK) and I think Robust lathes uses this brand...see link below.

https://www.thesandingglove.com/Woodturning-Revolving-Centers.asp

Jim Paulson
05-08-2012, 8:04 AM
Multistar is another good brand (from the UK) and I think Robust lathes uses this brand...see link below.

https://www.thesandingglove.com/Woodturning-Revolving-Centers.asp

Paul, I appreciate the link. Since most of my turning is on spindles I'm not sure about all the other features these centers offer. Mainly, I'm after a very high quality cup center with a center point.

Steve Kubien
05-08-2012, 5:51 PM
The only time I have heard of anyone having to replace the bearings or rebuild a live centre, it has been a Oneway. With that said, when I upgraded, I bought a Nova and LOVE it.

Steve Peterson
05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I have 2 of the cheap $20 live centers and get frustrated with them. The bearing often separates from the shaft when backing off the tailstock. Both of them (different brands) do the same thing, so I assume it is a design flaw with single bearing units.

I got a Oneway live center when I upgraded my lathe. All I can say is WOW, what a difference. There is less friction. It comes with multiple tips including a reversible cone center about 2.5" in diameter. It is a huge improvement.

Steve

Michael Mills
05-09-2012, 4:32 PM
I have the Nova live center and like it a lot. I’m sure the Oneway is very good, maybe twice as good based on the price. With the treaded insert it is easy to make custom centers (I use tee nuts for ease of future use); you can also just drill a pilot hole and use the hanger bolt that comes in the kit.

Richard Allen
05-09-2012, 5:21 PM
I have the Oneway center and an Axminster multi tip center. I use both of these live centers. There are times when the Oneway is the best and times when the Axminster is the best. I much prefer the cup center of the Axminster and one of the tip for the Axminster is an inverted cone. That inverted cone is perfect for centering 1" and smaller diameter spindles. The Oneway live center is perfect for centering spindles that are 3/8" (remove the center point). The profile of the Oneway live center is the same as the profile of the Oneway safety center. What this means is that you can flip spindles end for end when those work holding devices are used. The Oneway center, with the point removed, can be used with a lamp auger. The Axminster has a 3/4x16 thread on the end. That is a standard size for small faceplates so custom centers can be turned (with a spindle adaptor) on the headstock and then mounted on the live center. The body of the Axminster live center turns so you can early "test" the level of pressure being applied by the live center. Only the tip of the Oneway live center turns. You can get an adaptor from Oneway which threads onto the 3/4x10and presents the same thread as you headstock spindle. This is perfect for centering while chucking for reverse turning. This also work good when parting fragile objects that might be mounted on both ends.

I am happy that I have the choice between these two wonderful live centers. The Oneway live center is VERY popular and there are several third party attachments for this live center.

231715 The Oneway and adaptors is in the foreground with the Axminster and adaptors in the back.

James Combs
05-09-2012, 9:22 PM
I have done the same, but just place a small bolt through the hole in the shaft that is used to remove the cone tip. That way, you can simply put it in your headstock drive and spin in to turn or sand the nose cone.

Also, I notice Craft Supplies sells a center with a hardened cone for around $70. I know nothing of the quality.

Good idea for a quick fix of a minor ding. The metal lathes allows me to turn it to exactly the original 60* point if it is a serious ding. I will check out the harden version.

Dan Hintz
05-10-2012, 6:22 AM
Anyone know where I can get an MT2 Axminster kit (or a Multistar Super 32)? I haven't found a US-based shop to order the Axminster from, and the one shop I found for the Multistar is out of stock :( I think either kit would be a nice addition, but getting a hold of one has proved troublesome.

Jim Paulson
05-10-2012, 7:42 AM
Thanks John and James for talking about the nose cone on the Oneway center. I opted to order the Oneway live center. Hopefully, I'll see it in action real soon.

Alan Trout
05-10-2012, 8:30 AM
Dan,

The Sanding Glove sells the Multistar Super 32.

Alan

Dan Hintz
05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Dan,

The Sanding Glove sells the Multistar Super 32.

Alan

That's where I initially found it, but at the time I posted they were out of stock. I sent Bruce an email and asked if he knew when they'd be in... turns out, they had 6 in stock, but he forgot to update the webpage. So, I placed my order that evening.

Thanks for looking out, though...

Jim Paulson
05-26-2012, 4:08 PM
The Oneway live center is perfect for centering spindles that are 3/8" (remove the center point).

Thanks Richard and friends,

I got the Oneway live center and love it! I can't believe what a difference it can make on spindle turning over say the stock center I was previously using.

Thanks for all the input as it was quite helpful.

Jim

Jon Murphy
07-13-2013, 5:24 AM
I have had the MultiStar Super 32 for about a year, prior to that I had the Apprentice from Craft Supplies. The bearings wore out in about two years, but Craft Supplies made a freebie repair. That repair lasted a month. I bought the Super 32 from The Sanding Glove and am very happy with it - particularly as there is a kit one can buy to replace the bearings oneself. It is a triple bearing, but the barrel is narrow which makes it good for close to the end work. The accessory points are good, but I missed the various sizes of cup centers I had with the Apprentice. A little judicial filing with the cup centers gripped on the head stock and I reduced the US measurement to the UK metric - it was a very small difference. I now have a range of cup centers and a couple of "blunt" centers that fit in the Super 32. The Apprentice centers are available from Craft Supplies individually. The blunt centers are particularly useful when reverse chucking with a jam chuck as they make no hole in the base of the piece.

Paul Heely
07-13-2013, 7:46 AM

If it's the Precision Machine Multi-Tip center, then Ellsworth swears by them. All he had in his shop when I was there was this center. I think the ones we used were some of the same ones he had in his old VHS videos. If I had to replace a center today, that's the one I would buy.

Jim Paulson
07-13-2013, 8:53 AM
Thanks Jon and Paul. I've had a brief hiatus from serious turning and your comments are inspiring me to make spindles again. I confess that I haven't fully explored all the benefits of the Oneway center I purchased. Nice to hear about alternatives and the flexibility they offer ie maintenance.
Jim

Josh Bowman
07-13-2013, 8:55 AM
I have a one way clone (PM ) and the Nova Live Center system. The one way is my work horse. The nova is used for special or tricky stuff.

charlie knighton
07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
you might check craft supplies: item # 103-066 multi-tip revolving center by precision machine
this company makes products for metal lathes also

craft supplies says "without question the finest quality revolving center system available and an exceptional value.

i have one and have destroyed about 2 or 3 other revolving centers

steve worcester
07-13-2013, 6:07 PM
Thanks Eric. I understand that the Oneway live center includes some parts made of aluminum, like the outer cone. Does that affect performance?

It is made of aluminum so if you hit it with the gouge, it doesn't screwup the gouge