PDA

View Full Version : transporting a finished project - gone bad

Bruce King
05-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I designed and built this large floor cabinet (6ft long x 5 feet tall x 18 inches thick) for a guy that wanted special order high gloss laminate all over it. It will have two vertical rows of glass shelves. The material cost not counting the glass is close to $700 (gloss laminate and plywood) due to the size and design.

I knew it could tip over easy in the truck so I put it upside down, screwed cleats to the "top" and screwed angled braces to these cleats that went down to the side of the truck bed into some grooves on top of the wheel wells. After doing this I stood in the truck and pushed on the cabinet and it did not move even a 32nd of an inch, very solid setup for this 175+ pound project. I have hauled similar cabinets and know to take it easy on highway ramp curves etc. The glass was not installed yet so no worry there. Looks good I thought, can't lose this one, too much time and money in it......

So we headed up the road to deliver this monster and uh, we never made it.
We were on a very long transition lane from a bypass to an interstate, just along a slight curve nothing sharp, easy to do about 45-50 with no worries since you really can't push this cabinet over if you wanted to.

Ka-boom! WTF! Look in the rear view mirror and the cabinet has fell over against the side! I check my other mirrors quickly to see what else was happening but this is a single lane, really wide lane and nothing beside me, before I could even apply the brakes I see the whole cabinet catapulting over the side of the truck! Then I get to watch it flip and slide for over 50 feet. A few cars were back there but they saw it coming and stopped. It ended up on the back and actually slid back to the inside of the curve out of the road which is weird but it was sliding and spinning like it was on ice with 30 sf of slick laminate on the concrete. The road must have been banked some too.

So we got out of the way and backed up to "load the debris" I thought. Check out the pictures, hardly any damage considering it took flight at 50 mph on the highway!

I have to do some wood filling where the laminate got ground away and will have to reskin the whole exterior (3 sheets glossy at $100 ea)

I'll let you guy's guess at the construction method I used that turned out to be way stronger than I would have imagined. Its all just 3/4 plywood. Want to guess at the joinery technique used on this?
The first picture is before the accident....

231504 231506 231505

Steve Griffin
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Glad no one got hurt.

Any ideas on how it escaped your tiedown system?

Troy Turner
05-06-2012, 10:35 PM
That sucks...nothing more to say without my post getting deleted... :D

I'm gonna say you're going to plug Kreg?

Bruce King
05-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I forgot to include the likely cause, I think the force from the wind getting inside the cabinet plus the heavy side with the 3/4 back was on the exit side plus the regular outward force from the curve all added up and actually broke the brace on that side.
The brace looked like it would handle three times what I guessed it would need so overkill is very important when hauling this type of cabinet. I think I'll just lay it over on the side on some moving blankets on the next trip.

Bruce King
05-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I did not use my Kreg system on this one, it works very well on small to medium projects but large pieces of 3/4 plywood is just too wavy and a pain to line up. Lets see how long it takes someone to guess what holds this tank together.

Andrew Kertesz
05-07-2012, 5:40 AM
Even though it is plywood, you talk about it being wavy to line up so I am going to guess biscuits....

Cary Falk
05-07-2012, 5:48 AM
I am going to guess biscuits....

That is going to be my guess also.

William C Rogers
05-07-2012, 7:41 AM
Tongue and groove would be my guess

Bruce King
05-07-2012, 8:53 AM
I used 1.5 inch 16 gauge finish nails (air nailer) and put a nail every 1-2 inches on every butt joint (no glue either). The sides have two layers seperated by spacers to give it the thick look but the inside layer was just attached with a few drywall screws. I made sure the nails did not overdrive. The cost of the nails is high but saves a lot of time. If the cabinet would have started cartwheeling at 50mph I bet any construction method would have failed in some way.

Richard Dragin
05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
The joinery doesn't matter, the laminate is what held it together. I think you over thought the loading, furniture pads and ratchet straps are a tried and true method. Great looking before shot!

John Piwaron
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I am taking a lesson from this (and other moves) - no amount of tie downs, rope and duct tape is too much when moving/transporting something.

The new laminate will adhere to the existing damaged laminate?

Bruce King
05-08-2012, 9:30 PM
The latest version of wilsonart horizontal grade laminate is thinner now, vertical grade is even thinner. I used all horizontal grade but its a pain to work with now due to being more flimsy. As far as I know, for repairs, you just remove any loose pieces and fill in the uneven areas with laminate repair or even a good wood filler and use contact cement to apply the new layer.

HANK METZ
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Road tested.
D.O.T. approved.
Gravity test: passed.

I think you've got sales points with this adventure.

- Beachside Hank
Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.