PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar...the beginning

Lee Koepke
05-06-2012, 8:55 PM
Back in October, I salvaged a red cedar tree from one of my jobsites. My intention is to make several bowls for my Owner team we are building their new corporate headquarters for. Also toss in a few for my project managers, architect, and superintendents .... so that means I gotta 'turn' out about 10 bowls or so by August..... I chainsawed and roughed out about 6 or 7 this weekend. Because it felt dry while I was roughing this one, I went on and finished it out to see how it would work. It looks/feels stable, so I may be able to finish the rest!!! It needs some buffing and probably some WOP, but here's a sneak peak. (I see some streaks in the photos, but thats more of a finish issue, not tool marks)

Its my first time with this type of form...its just over 9" dia at the rim and 2.5" tall, I kind of like the way this looks. Comments/critiques always welcome!

Jamie Donaldson
05-06-2012, 9:46 PM
As long as you don't have to fight with sap cedar makes a good turning wood, even with a few cracks which you can't control as in this nice bowl. This tree must have been dead since the wood appears to be dry, and a big tree as well to make such a large bowl possible.

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2012, 9:53 PM
Looks pretty good to me! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you to turn 10 or more bowls! Have fun with it!

Lee Koepke
05-06-2012, 9:59 PM
As long as you don't have to fight with sap cedar makes a good turning wood, even with a few cracks which you can't control as in this nice bowl. This tree must have been dead since the wood appears to be dry, and a big tree as well to make such a large bowl possible.

It must have been, I bucked up the tree into 20-24" sections, anchorsealed it in October and the shavings today were hot on my hand and real dusty....zero moisture. The others I roughed out in January dried completely within 60 days.....

This isnt even the largest section! I think the tree was probably 24" diam ish .... if I had a bigger lathe, I'd be turning bigger bowls .. haha...

Chris Colman
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I love turning cedar! It is easy to work and smells good. You have to watch out because it splits easily.

My biggest fight with cedar is in the finish. That stuff is THIRSTY! I think it could absorb about 10 coats of WOP before it would build a shine.

I have had good luck with FLOODING it with shellac, sometimes repeatedly, until it quits sucking it up like a sponge. Then I can start building up with WOP.

I am envious. The only cedar I have gotten hold of is the kiln dried variety at the lumber yard. I would love to work with some turning stock.

Looks great!

Baxter Smith
05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I would make a comment about needing a bigger lathe but will only say "nice bowls"!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Really nice cedar bowl. Love turning cedar.

John Keeton
05-07-2012, 7:07 AM
Congratulations, Lee - you are now a production bowl turner!!:D That happened pretty quickly, didn't it??

Looks great, and also looks like you lucked into some fairly stable cedar - a rare thing. The little bit I fooled with early on cracked, and it was fairly dry.

Pat Scott
05-07-2012, 9:14 AM
I like the shape, foot, everything. I've made the same shape (only bigger) and it works great as a fruit bowl. Ditto on cedar soaking up finish, I would definitely use a sanding sealer of some kind. Keep the shape and details to a minimum if you're making 10 bowls, and especially if you're giving them away! (meaning don't change anything).

Eric Holmquist
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Nicely done, hope youhave fun making the rest of them.

Lee Koepke
05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone!
Since I have the time, they are all going to be a little different, my way of practicing some. The hard part would be deciding who gets what bowl!

I put some of the friction polish on this already, and it soaked up quickly. I will put a few coats of shellac on before the final finish. I hope I am as lucky with the rest of them (cracking wise) as I was here.

Sid Matheny
05-07-2012, 2:11 PM
Looking good and super looking cedar. I love cedar but it hates me. I had to hold my breath just looking at the pictures.:(

Sid