PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman alignment question

John Powers
05-06-2012, 8:06 PM
Just bought an older craftsman lathe. Runs great. It's the type where the components ride on one big pipe four feet long. There is a rail attached to the bottom of the pipe that keeps the tail aligned. Bear with me I'm new to turning. On the right the rail is tight to the pipe. One the left near the head there is slop in the rail allowing the tail to go 1/4 inch out of alignment. I'm guessing this is so because over 30 years most of the work was left of center on shorter stuff. The rail is attached with rivnuts. If anyone has run into this and remedied it I could use some direction. I've done a couple of useful handles with the lathe as is but I'm guessing that getting the head and tail aligned is basic to good lathe operation. Thanks

Wally Wenzel
05-06-2012, 9:39 PM
Hey John, I had one that developed the same problems, I rerivited it with some alum. pop rivits but they didn't last to long so redid it with some steel pop rivits., I had to do some filing on the rivits so the tail stock would pass over them with out catching , and it worked ok, but don't be fooled that you will be able to keep the head stock and tail stock in close alingment because it ain't going to happen, but that don't mean you won't be able to turn out a lot of very nice work with it. I have a lot of bowls and boxes and all sorts of stuff spread around that came off it. I now have a delta 460 that is really a dream lathe to work on.
Wally

Jamie Donaldson
05-06-2012, 9:40 PM
Sounds like you're describing my first lathe 25 yrs. ago! I was able to lock alignment by drilling and tapping a hole for a bolt through the headstock casting into the pipe bed.

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2012, 9:51 PM
My first lathe was a Craftsman mono-tube and I had the same problem with the alignment issue. I seem to remember that the square stock used to keep everything aligned was secured to the metal tube with machine screws and one of them had come out or loose or something. Replaced the screws and that firmed everything up enough to turn.

John Powers
05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
We're all on the same page. The cut sheet for the lathe labels them RIVNUTS. there's a company is clarks summit pa that markets a rivnut tool that may be the answer. Thanks for the input. It was only $50.00 with a few tools so couldn't pass it up. Sounds like a common problem so I'll pursue from here.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Before you start investing serious dollars in rebuilding the old lathe, I'd look for a modern Rikon/Delta/Jet mini lathe. Used if you're on a budget. You'll be astounded at the difference in quality.

Just my $0.02, being an ex-Craftsman lathe owner.

John Powers
05-07-2012, 1:44 PM
Always a good point. I found one rivet nut broken and another very loose so I have what I need coming from mcmaster Carr. They're very helpful. I'll draw the line with this repair and see what the future brings. I love my delta craigslist bandsaw but repairs and upgrades did push it into the relm of a new saw. Won't do that with this old lathe.