PDA

View Full Version : wood plane choking

Noah Wagener
05-06-2012, 7:38 PM
hi,

I recently bought a jointer try plane (23") from an antique store. The plane gets clogged real bad. I think it is from the wedge. The wedge feet (?) hang over the bevel of the cap iron. Is this the normal position? i would have to chop off like 1/8 inch or more so they don't hang over and i think the wedge would look funny if i did as it currnetly looks like most pictures of wedges ive seen. The iron is also really tight going in the mouth. I am now talking without the wedge. Just side to side it is tight. If the cap iron isn't exactly flush with the cutter it wont even go in. Should there be a gap between the side of the mouth and the iron?

Thanks. Noah

Jim Koepke
05-06-2012, 8:39 PM
Noah,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't show your location. You may live near someone who may be willing to help.

It sounds like you may have a plane that has been put together from parts that do not match. This happens often.

Pictures are always a good idea to help show others what is taking place.

jtk

James Taglienti
05-06-2012, 9:56 PM
Also the cutter is likely tapered and as they get shorter, the wedge creeps closer and closer to the mouth. Maybe you could cut the end off of the wedge entirely

David Weaver
05-07-2012, 7:47 AM
You don't need a lateral gap down at the mouth, though your plane may have shrunk some from manufacture.

If you know the feed problems are happening at the intersection of the cap iron and the wedge, trim it back, but make sure you keep a taper on the ends of the wedge to feed toward the middle.

Bob Glenn
05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Sounds like someone has replaced the iron with one that doesn't fit.

Noah Wagener
05-07-2012, 2:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Now that i think about it i don't see a problem with trimming the wedge. It is obviously not supporting the iron where it hangs over the bevel. I am in Saint Paul Minnesota Jim.

Jeff Heath
05-07-2012, 5:06 PM
If you don't mind altering it, you can certainly make it work with the plane by paring it down with a sharp chisel. Maintain the angle as best you can for curling those shavings you're going to be taking.

Jeff