PDA

View Full Version : New HF and Bowl

Eric Holmquist
05-06-2012, 2:38 PM
Figured Maple Hollow Form. Around 6" (15 cm) tall. Finished with Bush Oil, just buffed. Probably keep it this way and not try to tart it up with a more gloss finish.

Norway Maple Bowl. Around 8" (20 cm) across. Another in my series of experiments with candy colors over metallic bases. Finished outside with EM6000 waterborne lacquer, inside with Bush Oil. The intent of the fade is primarily Blue to Purple, with a hint of green at the rim. The metallic base coat worked better this time by spraying a coat of titanium white first.

John Keeton
05-06-2012, 3:09 PM
Eric, I love the wood in the HF!! Looks almost like it has been dyed. Very nice.

I have trouble with blue vs. purple (horribly color blind), so it is difficult for me to fully appreciate the fade on the bowl, but I like it generally.

What kind of spray setup do you have?

Eric Holmquist
05-06-2012, 3:16 PM
Thanks John, I airbrush with an Iwata HP-CS for the colors, and spray finish with a small conversion HVLP gun (Asturo brand) using a 1.5mm needle for waterborne finishes.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-06-2012, 3:49 PM
Well Eric, I can see all the color transition and really like it. I like the concept of an automobile type finish on wood, especially when the inside is left natural. I also appreciate the quality of your turning. Every little imperfection will show like crazy in the hi gloss colored bowl and I don't see anything but smooth flowing lines. After listening to a seminar by David Mittman about colors and how they relate to each other, I bought a book written by Leatrice Eiseman entitled Color: Messages and meanings. Ms Eiseman is the executive director of The Pantone Color Institute. Her book deals with how various colors make us feel. I looked up her take on Blue Purple. She says that "in Egypt, amethyst was thought to be a healing amulet, offering divine protection from evil." The words it brings to her mind are "contemplative, meditative, spiritual, soul searching, intuitive, mysterious and enchanting." And you thought you were just decorating a bowl.
The hollow form is lovely and the grain is spectacular. But to me, the bowl is a star.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2012, 5:11 PM
Both look great. Love the wood of the HF and the color on the bowl is fantastic as is the finish.

Roger Chandler
05-06-2012, 5:21 PM
super nice bowl! hf is nice as well.

Kathy Marshall
05-06-2012, 10:34 PM
2 Very nice pieces Eric! Great looking wood on the hf and awesome color job on the bowl!

Baxter Smith
05-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Very pretty work on both Eric! Coloring just the outside of a bowl is something I have wanted to try for a while now. It sure won't have a finish like yours though! Stunning!

Michelle Rich
05-07-2012, 6:28 AM
your painting & finishing are terrific..

Eric Holmquist
05-07-2012, 7:50 AM
Thanks everyone

Faust - You figured it out! I did use color theory to choose the colors, the green-blue-purple portion of the spectrum are cooler, and for most people soothing colors. Sometimes I like making a more energetic piece and will focus on warmer colors like red-orange-yellow. I sometimes play with tetradic or split complementary color schemes for more representational designs.

Baxter - Give it a try! Practice fades and blends on cheap paper like newsprint, then try it on some simple FOG wood bowls to get a feel for airbrushing on curved surfaces and applying high gloss finishes over them.