PDA

View Full Version : Raising the floor...

Reed Gray
05-06-2012, 1:37 PM
Okay, a little collective help here, please. I am entertaining more students in my shop. Since students come in all sizes, and I don't have lathes in all sizes, how can I raise the floor level so they can be comfortable at the lathe. My Robust has adjustable legs, but too much hastle to change the leg settings for each student. I did make a plywood platform, which helps a little, and may need to change the shape a bit, but any other solutions than slipping a 2 X 4 under different parts of the platform????

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
05-06-2012, 1:40 PM
The Aussies take a couple of pallets and put them together and put plywood over top.........that should raise the floor about 5 inches.

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2012, 2:09 PM
Reed, I made a boxed style platform so my wife (5' tall) could use the Jet 1642 which was set up for me to use comfortably when hollowing. The platform is 7" high and just slides under the lathe (out of the way) when not in use. Also, the platform was large enough to make sure Colleen would not fall off under normal turning conditions... like reaching for a tool, sander, etc.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-06-2012, 4:05 PM
Reed, I would normally make some smart alec answer like.....have a height minimum like the adult rides have at amusement parks but who knows, I might come visit some day and not meet the height requirement. Instead, how about making up a few different height platforms you can use to elevate your students.
faust

Steve Vaughan
05-06-2012, 4:11 PM
Yup, I'd think some platforms might be the way to go. Similar to Faust, maybe build several different platforms - say, one platform that's 1" or 2" high, another one that's 3" high, and another one that's 4". And, make them stackable, but also where they somehow "fit" onto each other so they won't slip around. Then you could have a variety of sizes by just stacking one on the other, or use one of them, or none of them. Having several platforms of different heights would allow for a custom fit...albeit perhaps a bit more work making all those things.

Eric Holmquist
05-06-2012, 4:32 PM
See if you can find some of those step aerobic platforms on Craigslist or a tag sale. They are modular and allow you to add height. Typically around 40" x 14" for the main platform with 14" square riser blocks

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2012, 5:09 PM
Reed I made some simple platforms for kids of different heights.

Jim Burr
05-06-2012, 7:57 PM
I'm good on the 1642, but the 1014 is on my bench. 4x4 frame with a 3/4" plywood top...3' long and 24" wide. just tilt it up and it's outa the way!

Reed Gray
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the tips. I figured an L shaped platform would be the answer, and slipping risers under it the easiest solution. I keep thinking about my accountant's desk, which is on hydraulic risers so she can work sitting down, and standing up. No anti gravs yet, mini car type scissor jacks that would work in unison, just easier to slip risers in. 1 1/2 inch increments.

robo hippy