PDA

View Full Version : My highly engineered fuzz buster

Bill Huber
05-06-2012, 10:41 AM
It makes no difference what blade I use, and I have an 80 tooth Frued Ultimate Cut-Off cross cut blade and it does it also, I get a little fuzz on the edge of the board I am cutting. There is not a lot but there is some and it does make a difference how much I get with the wood I am using.

So I made myself a fuzz buster, it is just enough to knock off that little bit of fuzz.

I have a 2 3/4" rolls of 220 grit 3M sand paper left over from a car body project I did a few years ago and used it. I took some hard maple scraps and planned it down to 1/4" and then ripped it to 1 1/4" wide and 8" ling. Wrap the sand paper around it and there it is.

It takes very little to knock the fuzz off, not enough to round over the corner but just knock the fuzz off. I think it is used in my shop as much as any tool I have.

Bill White
05-06-2012, 1:15 PM
Bill, you can send me some of the paper. I'm sure you have a lifetime supply.
Good tip.
Bill

ian maybury
05-06-2012, 7:16 PM
Thanks Bill, it works well.

A sanding block can be good for trimming some types of surface film too. A skin of 0.5 oz woven glass cloth (about the weight of a nylon stocking) brushed down with epoxy resin thinned 50/50 with methanol and sealed with a second coat before rubbing down is quick, easy and effective way to put a hard and ding resistant skin on soft woods used on items likely to experience heavy handling. (it conforms very well to 3D curves if the weave of the glass cloth is not too tight) A sanding block is a great way to trim the overhang of cloth after the resin cures.

Another related option especially if the wood is a bit soft or resinous so the paper doesn't cut cleanly if (presuming it fits with the eventual finishing plan) is a quick seal coat of something that penetrates well and dries quickly and hard like shellac before using the block.

ian