PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have CenturyLink?

Scott Shepherd
05-06-2012, 9:39 AM
They are hitting the area really hard with marketing right now, and I have a family member that has been using satellite internet for years, because they have no high speed connections available. A couple weeks ago, a sign appeared at their neighborhood, telling them that CenturyLink now had high speed available to their area.

So he asked me about it, and then stopped by work one day and called from the desk next to mine. He'd constantly say "Hold on a minute" and then ask me about what he was just told or if I had any questions.

This is what he was promised :

1) DirectTV- 4 cable boxes, 2 HD, 1 DVR.
2) Broadband Internet - I asked if it was DSL. He asked the guy on the phone "Is this DSL" and the response was "No, it's not DSL". The speed promised was 10Mbps download.
3) Free HBO, Cinemax, Starz for 3 months, I think.
4) $250 in gift cards
5) No installation fees
6) 5 YEAR price guarantee, locked in at $109 for 5 years.

Price- $109 per month, complete. He repeatedly asked the guy about all of this stuff. He was on the phone with him for about 45 minutes. When he hung up, I said "No way, there is no way you're getting all of that for $109 per month", yet I heard the conversations myself where he repeated confirmed things with the guy.

So the paperwork shows up, it only shows 3 boxes, not 4. So he calls and the price goes to $138, not $109.

The come to install the TV, install it, no free movie channels. He calls. Sorry, no can do, you're not eligible for that.

He's spoken to no less than 4 people now that have all assured him he will have 10Mbps internet.

They had scheduled the internet installation for the following day between 8 and noon. 1:00 rolls around, not a peep. He calls them, they say "It's a self install".

If it's a self install, then why would you give me the time from 8:00-noon for them to come install it?

We install it, it's DSL. Doesn't work. I personally call in, they tell me it has to be setup at the box down the road, and that won't happen until the next day. So the next day rolls around, someone knocks on their door, says they are there to install it. Huh? The guy says "I just connected it at the box, and just to let you know, your maxed out at 1.5Mbps at the box". He explains to the guy that he was promised 10Mbps and the guy says "I don't know who promised that, but it's maxed out at the box down the road for 1.5 and there is nothing I can do about it".

So he gets on the phone, starts working up the tree. He's told by the manager of that call center that 1.5 should be good enough. He repeatedly tells he to that he's been promised by every person he's talked to (and he had employee names and ID numbers, all documented), that he would have 10 Mbps speed.

She looks through the account and says he's right, she can see it noted repeatedly, but it's not going to happen. Plus, they shouldn't have quoted that price to you, it's now going to be no less than $158 per month.

Anyone with CenturyLink have any upper level contacts to get this worked out? I told him that he should expect it to be far more than the $158 when it's done because they seem to keep saying "their services" and I suspect he's going to get popped for a monthly fee for all the equipment on that, that he was always told was included.

How anyone can have it's employees make promise after promise to their customers, and then just change the price and say "Sorry" is beyond me. There is no accountability. The manager even agreed with him. He told her he had very detailed notes and she said "my records indicate your notes are correct".

So, it is DSL, it's not 10 Mbps, it's no free movie channels, no free gift cards, no free installation, and the bill is about 45% high than originally quoted, and I find that out AFTER you install it????????

Is this normal for CenturyLink? Any suggestions on how to get it resolved, short of ripping it all out and giving it back to them?

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2012, 3:34 PM
The lesson to be learned is if it sounds too good to be true it is, and get it in writing. These companies use off-shore
call centers to solicit business and their pay will depend on selling. I had Qwest (now CL) at my shop for a few years
as they were the only game in town at the time and I had nothing but trouble with both the land line and internet. The
service was terrible, they liked to blame the landlord's wiring and I had to pay someone to prove it was theirs.

Sounds like your family member may have you as a witness if he decided to take it higher up at Cl and threaten to sue, but I don't think they would do much other than maybe offer to take it out and charge for that.

Brian Elfert
05-06-2012, 4:43 PM
I would not be surprised if that was a contractor that sells Centurylink service. The gift card might come from the contractor and not Centurylink. The contractor gets a payment from Centurylink for each new customer they sign up. Comcast also has lots of contractors working for them that do the same thing. The use of contractors doesn't absolve Centurylink though.

I used Centurylink/Qwest for years for my DSL and it was rock solid. I recently switched to Comcast because they offered a cheaper price for higher speeds.

Ron Natalie
05-06-2012, 6:12 PM
You're lucky you even got someone to show up. I had a "temporary" drop run that ran across the street (on the top of the asphalt) and across my lot to the debark. After a month somehow the cable got cut (I think it got mowed up by the guy on the other side of the street) and ended up wrapped around the pedestal. I kept calling them and asking when they were going to fix it. They keep asking me if I had dial tone. Dial tone? I don't even have a wire. They promised to come out Friday, no one showed. Called and said they ran late but I'd be first on Monday. Called up at Noon on Monday. They're running late. Late? I'm supposed to be #1. Took them three other missed appointments to finally come out. Then they didn't bother to straight relief the cable properly and it fell out of the remark. Fortunately, that I could fix that myself (I have no qualms at this point with these morons to open "their" side of the demark.

The one thing I can tell you is to go to the FCC website and fill out the complaint form. It will take a couple of months, but it will be routed to someone in management (a lawyer usually) who is empowered to "fix" the issues.

Scott Shepherd
05-06-2012, 7:37 PM
I think one of the main issues that makes this all turn south is that they had satellite for TV already, and then had satellite internet with a speed of 1.5Mbps. So the ONLY reason they were switching to it is to get faster internet so their kids could use it more for school, and even possibly they would use netflix or something.

So basically, they went through all of this trouble (and had the old stuff removed) just to end up with the exact same situation they already had. Had they been honest up front and said "We're looking at your location and due to the configuration of the box that feeds you, the best we can delivery would be 1.5Mbps", then they wouldn't have ordered it.

Heck, if they produced 5Mbps, it would make them thrilled and they'd probably not worry about it any more, but to switch from 1.5 to 1.5 was pointless.

Matt Meiser
05-06-2012, 7:50 PM
1.5 DSL is WAY better service than 1.5 satellite. Doesn't make the price changes OK or even legal for that matter. I'd make a slew of complaints to the BBB, attorney general and the state public utilities commission.

charlie knighton
05-06-2012, 8:15 PM
i believe it is true for all cable companies, when they installed mine, the installer ask if i wanted insurance, i said yes, about $6.50 extra a month, when i said yes, the installer filled out the paper work then said , let me go hook up the ground. better make sure they hooked up the ground.

David Weaver
05-06-2012, 8:22 PM
I would definitely go to the state attorney general and the PUC.

Myk Rian
05-06-2012, 9:47 PM
Your SAG will have the most weight to throw at them.
Get them to re-install the old system on their dime, if you go that way.