PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Moser interview

Gary Pennington
05-06-2012, 9:15 AM
One of our local TV stations in Portland Maine has a weekly news magazine show, Bill Green's Maine, that profiles people places and things of interest in and around Maine. Last week he interviewed Thomas Moser, not so much about making chips and sawdust, but the genesis of the business and the grit that keeps it going. Wicked interesting. The page was slow to load but the video played through just fine. Click here (http://www.wcsh6.com/life/programming/local/bill_greens_maine/article/199293/10/Furniture-maker-Thomas-Moser) to view, it’s about 7 minutes.

Gary

Ron Kellison
05-06-2012, 9:54 AM
Thank you! I've had his "Measured Shop Drawings" book for many years and it's still a reference for me.

Ron

Jeff Bartley
05-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I saw Thomas speak at the Bard Institute in NYC a couple years ago during a Shaker Exhibit and it was a great lecture. For such a heavy-hitter in the large-scale furniture world he was really down to earth.

Andrew Joiner
05-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr. Moser is a marvel to me. He started in the woodworking business in 1972, a year after I started. I made good money,but I retired in 1995. I lost my passion for the business and I had other investments that were less work.

I admire Moser. He's tackled all the problems that come with the business.

To make solid wood furniture in the USA and a profit isn't easy.

In fact I find it mind boggling to think of how tough it would be to compete in the woodworking/ furniture business today. Insurance,finding and keeping dedicated workers,maintaining buildings and machines gets very expensive.

To me the number one reason Moser's still going is the marketing. You gotta be good to sell a chair for $ 2000 when most places get $ 100.

Jeff Bartley
05-06-2012, 8:46 PM
In my view his marketing strategy has been his real genius.....no middleman, no gallerys, no craft shows, just thos moser retail outlets. Of course those outlets are all located in the absolute premium shopping district of their respective cities. If you ever get the chance visit one. I've been to the one in Georgetown (Washington D.C.) and it's front and center on M Street. There couldn't be a more expensive spot in DC to have a store. But the clientele on M Street wouldn't think of purchasing a $100 chair. Thomas Moser is a marvel to me too!