PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Fios

Rich Konopka
05-06-2012, 8:12 AM
Can anyone tell me if Verizon Fios uses their own router/modem for Fios Internet? I am looking into their service in our new place and would like to hook up an Oooma device. Anyone have experience with Oooma / Verizon Fios?

Thanks

Ron Natalie
05-06-2012, 8:16 AM
The FIOS comes with (last I checked) an Actiontec router with MOCA (i.e., your WAN connection is over the COAX). It's a pretty basic router with a good set of features including the firewall and DYNDNS if you want.
I had FIOS TV and Internet since the day it became available in my neighborhood (my existing cable service sucked badly and I have no view of the sky on my lot).
I've had zero issues with the internet (and it is fast).

Doing a quick google shows that people are using Oooma on FIOS without issues.

Rich Konopka
05-06-2012, 8:34 AM
Thanks, The Ooma forum said that there were no issues with Ooma behind a router and I have experienced quite a few issues. It was not until I put Oooma in front of the router that It worked properly. I was wondering if I could put Oooma infront of the Fios router.

Curt Harms
05-06-2012, 9:56 AM
Thanks, The Ooma forum said that there were no issues with Ooma behind a router and I have experienced quite a few issues. It was not until I put Oooma in front of the router that It worked properly. I was wondering if I could put Oooma infront of the Fios router.

AFAIK the default install uses coax from the ONT (optical network terminal) to the router. The ONT does have an RJ-45 jack that can be enabled but I think not using the MOCA setup causes video-on-demand and the channel guide to not function properly. We have the triple play bundle so don't know about Ooma but I know I can set QoS on the different ethernet ports so i suspect it would work. We have an ActionTec MI-424WR-Gen2. You can find a manual here. I don't know if it'll be the exact router you'd get but it should be close:

http://www.actiontec.com/support/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev._E&F_User_Manual_20.10.7_v1_GPL.pdf

And yeah, FiOS goes like a bat. We have the 35/35 package. I'd have been happy with slower but we had to go with that bundle to get the TV channels we wanted. I just ran the Speakeasy.net speed test, bearing in mind it's Sunday morning. I was getting 38-43 Mbps./sec. down and 26-30 Mbps.sec up. There's been one internet outage in 2+ years and that lasted 3 or 4 hours. You do have to pay attention when ordering to how long the various incentives and discounts last.

Dan Hintz
05-06-2012, 5:26 PM
AFAIK the default install uses coax from the ONT (optical network terminal) to the router. The ONT does have an RJ-45 jack that can be enabled but I think not using the MOCA setup causes video-on-demand and the channel guide to not function properly.
Verified... it keeps the guide data for about a week ahead of time. After installing a better quality router, it took me a day or so before I clued in to why the guide wasn't coming back when Verizon said everything was okay...

Peter Kelly
05-06-2012, 8:23 PM
Been using a Linksys SPA2102 VoIP router with the aforementioned Actiontec FIOS modem/router for a year now. No problems so far.