PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of Pecan bowls.

Ed Morgano
05-06-2012, 7:47 AM
Well, I said I had enough Pecan logs to make about 40 bowls. What I didn't have is enough energy. I finished 19 and that's the end for me. I'll have to figure out something else to do with the rest of the wood. Boy that makes a lot of shavings. I filled my dust collector, a 30 gal drum and still had another 30 gallons on the lathe and surrounding areas. I turned these green so I left the tennons attached till they dry some. I'm hoping that when I turn them off, the bowls will be dry enough so the bases don't warp. C&C Welcome.

Doug Herzberg
05-06-2012, 9:28 AM
I'm tired just looking, Ed. Looks like some pretty bowls coming. I've been trying to explain your shower curtain to the Mrs. These photos will make it easier.

Scott Hackler
05-06-2012, 9:36 AM
19 is nothing to be disappointed in! Looks like the makings of some fine bowls. I see you found a good use for the "digit remover saw"! If I had $10 for every radial arm saw I have been offered for free...well I would be able to buy something REAL nice. Dad has one and I refuse to use it!

Barry Elder
05-06-2012, 9:38 AM
Maybe it's just my old eyeballs, but the tenons appear to be quite deep. Do you always have such long tenons or are you using deep jaws?

John Keeton
05-06-2012, 9:42 AM
Nice work, Ed, and far more "sticktoit" than I have!!
I see you found a good use for the "digit remover saw"! If I had $10 for every radial arm saw I have been offered for free...well I would be able to buy something REAL nice. Dad has one and I refuse to use it!Scott, you got that right!! Without doubt, the most dangerous tool I have ever owned. Sold mine about 30 years ago, and I get a cold chill every time I see one.

Ed Morgano
05-06-2012, 1:14 PM
Nice work, Ed, and far more "sticktoit" than I have!!Scott, you got that right!! Without doubt, the most dangerous tool I have ever owned. Sold mine about 30 years ago, and I get a cold chill every time I see one.
To John and Scott:
I use my RAS all the time without fear....but I do have a lot of respect. I've never had a mishap on it. Mainly because that spinning blade above the table is scary. However, I have had two minor injuries on a table saw. That's the bugger I refuse to use. If you have one hand on the handle of the RAS and the other holding the work, it's hard to cut yourself. However, on a table saw, your hands are moving with the work right around a blade that "looks" safe because it has a guard on it.

David DeCristoforo
05-06-2012, 1:28 PM
Only 19 bowls? That's it? What a woose! Nice this about that wooden lathe... the shavings just kinda blend right in...

Ed Morgano
05-06-2012, 4:04 PM
David,
I feel like a woose. I thought I'd have at least 40 bowls in a week, but I couldn't shovel the shavings fast enough! :eek:

Bob Bergstrom
05-06-2012, 4:16 PM
I hope you recover before you start finish turning. That Pecan can beat you up some more. It can get pretty hard when dry. Makes a hot fire if burned though.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2012, 7:10 PM
Ed that is a batch of nice looking bowls.

Jon McElwain
05-06-2012, 7:50 PM
Good looking heard of bowls there!

Eric Holmquist
05-06-2012, 8:48 PM
Good production effort. After looking at the lathe, I am wondering if the dust collector is some kid pumping a bellows

Kathy Marshall
05-06-2012, 10:30 PM
That's a great looking bunch of bowls you have there Ed!

Baxter Smith
05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Makes me tired just looking at it Ed! Looks like you once turned most of them and that takes even more time and care than just roughing.

Michelle Rich
05-07-2012, 6:31 AM
with all those shavings, you can now go into suppling compost material for your neighborhood!

Pat Scott
05-07-2012, 8:58 AM
How tall are your shower curtains? Love the shavings, I filled up a 44 gal trash bag yesterday roughing out some Walnut bowls and plates.

Ed Morgano
05-07-2012, 1:24 PM
How tall are your shower curtains? Love the shavings, I filled up a 44 gal trash bag yesterday roughing out some Walnut bowls and plates.
Pat,
The shower curtains are standard length ( I think about 80 "). I ordered them off of Amazon. They're about a foot off the floor but they stop all of the flying shavings and keep me from having to clean half the shop everytime I turn something.