PDA

View Full Version : Garniga Adjustable Groover--I'm stumped?

Peter Quinn
05-06-2012, 7:34 AM
A few weeks back I scored a 180MM Ganiga adjustable groover, 20-40MM on a deep discount from Laguna. I got it to make tenons on a sliding shaper, and I went to use it for that yesterday, but I can't figure out how to use it! It has two "index pins" for lack of a better word in the bottom cutter of the stack that align the top cutter when used for grooving. They keep the two plates from crashing into each other I suppose. Well, when the plates are inverted and shims placed in between for tenons, these pins are now sticking up, and I can't put the shaft collars and lock nut on to tighten the cutter stack down. Any here at the creek familiar with this garniga cutter? Are these pins removable? They certainly don't back out with gentle force and I don't want to force anything.What have I missed? There is a video featuring this cutter on the Laguna site and they are clearly making tongues and tenons with it, the garniga catalogue shows this capacity too, but neither shows how to deal with the pin situation. It came with spacers that have holes which accommodate these pins, perhaps I need to purchase more of these spacers to stack above the cutter until the pins are covered? Seems it would work but its a pretty convoluted way to get there. Any help is appreciated.

Peter Quinn
05-06-2012, 7:57 AM
Duhhhhh, just figured it out. Seems the stock shaft bushings on my minimax have a 2 1/8" OD, but the pile of freeborn bushings I have are 1 3/4" OD which slips perfectly inside the alignment pins. problem solved. Just had to take the blinders off. Now to make some chips!