PDA

View Full Version : Laguna L14 SUV owner question

Mike Holbrook
05-05-2012, 11:24 PM
My new saw is still sitting in my garage. I have had it for 2+ weeks without being able to turn it on. The saw I bought was put together at the Woodcraft store. Apparently the knob/clamp for holding the table top in place fell off at Woodcraft before they got it into my truck. I rolled it 10" from my truck into the garage and found that it was missing. Something fell off while they were loading it, but they could not find anything at the time.

While waiting I have been trying to determine what A circuit breaker the saw needs. I have a 20 A, 230 circuit in the garage now. The Laguna specs I found say 30 A, but... Woodcraft lost the original documentation that came with the saw and printed out what I have from a Laguna file that may be specs for the entire 3000 series of saws. The Laguna site lists a PDF file for a L14 SUV manual but it does not work. I had a licensed electrician look at my panel and the saw in order to get a proper circuit. He was thinking 30 AMPs until he read the info on the saw. He said 20 AMPs would handle it after reading the info. The info I see says Induction Motor-230V, 60 HZ AC- 12.8 A, Phase 1.

I am hoping someone with the same saw and maybe the original Operator's manual can give me better information. I am trying to get Laguna to fix the broken PDF file or send me an actual L14 SUV Operator's Manual, but the wheels seem to turn slooowly.

Charlton Wang
05-06-2012, 2:18 AM
20A works fine. When I got my LT16 3000, I also used a 30A circuit based on the recommendation of the manual but both Laguna support and personal usage have confirmed that 20A works fine. I've moved the saw to a 20A circuit and I have never had it trip once. The motor on mine should be the same as your LT14 SUV.

Michael Mayo
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
It would seem that rated at 12.8 a. that a 20a. circuit would be more than sufficient.

John Coloccia
05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Why isn't Woodcraft handling this? They replaced the knob at least, right? If that had happened in my store someone would have been on the phone with Laguna trying to resolve this. Occasionally, stuff gets lost or damaged but I'm very surprised they stuck you with this, or am I misreading something?

I think we have one in stock. If we do and this isn't resolved by Monday, I'll take a drive in myself, grab the manual and give you whatever information you need. I need to head there and pick up some supplies anyhow.

Alan Lightstone
05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
20A fine on mine also.

keith denbesten
05-06-2012, 2:56 PM
I've got a LT 16 and a 20 amp works fine for me as well.

Mike Holbrook
05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions regarding the circuit needed guys.

John you are very kind. To explain a little. I think the local Woodcraft sales guy had to confirm with the store manager that they would get involved, taking my word for the fact that the knob must have fallen off in the store. They knew their store was in chaos due to a Lie Nielsen event that was going on. I am a little disturbed that it took a week for Laguna to call me up about the problem. Apparently Woodcraft talked Laguna into excepting the responsibility. I tried to be very clear about exactly what part was missing, using the exact term Laguna uses in the manual "Trunion clamp handle". I suspect this was a classic case of information loosing it's integrity after being verbally repeated multiple times. I called both Woodcraft and Laguna when they sent the wrong part. The Laguna rep tried to tell me the part had just changed since my saw was made. He was still thinking about the handles on the DriftMaster fence though and I had to emphasize yet again that the missing part was for the table not the fence. Woodcraft left a message a couple days ago that the new part was on its way. They said they double checked to make sure it was the correct part this time.

I did find an interesting conundrum researching this part though. In a review I found of this saw the position of the Trunion clamp handle and the Trunion clamp nut appeared to be reversed compared to the example in the Manual I have. I suspect either way will work.

John Coloccia
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Laguna can be a royal PITA the deal with sometimes. Not a shot against them or their products but their customer service is legendary for running hot and cold. Sometimes I call them and they are extremely helpful and responsive, and other times I call them and nothing. Glad you were able to resolve it. I knew it didn't sound right that Woodcraft would have stuck you with a problem like this. Anyhow, sounds like you got the info you needed.

edit: As someone mentioned to me, I should be clear that my dealings with Laguna have been for my own personal inquiries. I've never had occasion to call them for anything work related. Above my pay grade, as they say. LOL.

Ty Williams
05-08-2012, 12:58 AM
I just picked up my LT14SUV from Woodcraft last Wednesday. Made my first cuts with it on Sunday. Holy. Mother. This is the first tool I've worked with where it really feels like falling on it would result in the loss of a limb in an instant. I re-sawed some 8/4 by 8" wide rock maple down into 1/2" planks. The saw didn't even strain. There was a little (but not a whole lot) or resistance to the cut, but the motor never so much as groaned. You could feel when you started to try to over-feed it and the profile of the Resaw King blade stonewalled you from feeding it too fast. Measuring the pieces after cutting, they were out only 5-7 thousandths alone the whole thing. At one point, I thought I had a 2 hundredths error, but it turned out that the saw and my (bad) technique had caused it to faithfully follow a twist in the original board. I'm VERY happy with the saw since I bought the saw and got the Resaw King blade and the mobility kit thrown in free.

Anyway, the plug is terminated in a NEMA 6-20P. The manual says it should require a 30A breaker. However, the motor plate says it'll consume 12.8A. That's safe to run on a 20A breaker and that jives with the fact that they put a 20A plug on it. Of course, I promptly put a NEMA 6-50P on it so that I could plug in into the 240V outlet in the garage for my welder, so it was a bit of a moot point for me.

And I think I have your trunion clamp handle. The manual says I should have one handle and one nut for the trunion. I have two handles. Go figure.

Mike Holbrook
05-08-2012, 2:23 PM
Great info. Ty. Glad to hear the positive report on your saw. I have a stack of 8/4 European Beech, Ash & Hickory eagerly awaiting my saws attention. I hope to get my Trunion clamp soon. It was suppose to be sent last week. I remember the saw I bought having the clamp on it in the store and I think I heard something fall off it when they were loading it. there was a big Lie Nielsen event going on and I think it just got lost in the shuffle.

Did your saw have the DriftMaster fence on it? Mine has one on it. I am wondering if the fence is the reason you were able to get such great accuracy?

harold bowlin
05-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Mike, it seems as though you have solved your questions regarding power and a fix to your missing part is in the works. I bought a Laguna 14SUV about three months ago and I will echo Ty's remarks. I love my saw. I will also say the customer service I have received from laguna has been some of the best and most responsive of any manufaturer. They have really done a complete turn around for the better in CS.

As for your comment on the accuracy of the saw related to the Driftmaster, I had my saw for about a month before I installed the Driftmaster fense and I had the same accuracy of cuts with the stock fense as I do now using the Driftmaster. Where the Driftmaster excells is in the accuracy and ease of positioning it for the cut and adjusting for bade drift. The accuracy of the cut is in the saw and the blade. I think you will love your saw. It has been a great addition to my shop.

Ty Williams
05-09-2012, 3:19 PM
I'll second what Harold said. With the stock fence set correctly for drift, you get really, really good results. What you gain with the Driftmaster is the ability to move the fence a known amount each turn of the crank. This allows you to cut veneer off the "outside" of the wood so the jointed face always stays undisturbed against the fence. Additionally, you can get the tall fence blade for the Driftmaster so that a wide plank is well supported. I can tell you that with the stock fence on there right now, resawing a 12" wide plank is a little sketchy. The Driftmaster has an optional fence that's 8" tall and would make that MUCH more stable. I'll be buying the Driftmaster and the tall fence after the 1st of next month.

Mike Holbrook
05-09-2012, 3:27 PM
Thanks for another positive report Harold. I am itching to put mine to work too.

I am excited about the DriftMaster. I am sure it will make the work faster and easier. Soon as I can lock my table down I will get back to getting the DriftMaster properly attached. I took it off for the trip from WoodCraft to my house. I need the table stable to get those positioning brackets lined up and tightened down.

Laguna Tools
05-11-2012, 6:22 PM
Hi Mike,

I am sorry to hear about the troubles receiving a proper manual and handle for your LT14SUV bandsaw. In checking our files it appears that the issue with the handle has at this point been resolved. I will go ahead and email a PDF copy of the operators manual to you today as well.

Please feel free to contact me direct in office at Laguna if any other issues should arise. Thanks! Tim Lory (800) 234-1976 ext.9665

QUOTE=Mike Holbrook;1924842]Thanks for another positive report Harold. I am itching to put mine to work too.

I am excited about the DriftMaster. I am sure it will make the work faster and easier. Soon as I can lock my table down I will get back to getting the DriftMaster properly attached. I took it off for the trip from WoodCraft to my house. I need the table stable to get those positioning brackets lined up and tightened down.[/QUOTE]

Mike Holbrook
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Just an update to make sure everyone knows Laguna jumped in and resolved these issues. They got me the missing part, which fell of in the WoodCraft store. The PDF for the LT14 SUV Bandsaw Manual is now fixed and I have the digital version on my computer.

Thanks Tim & Laguna.