PDA

View Full Version : Steadicam video shop tour

Alan Lilly
05-05-2012, 8:45 PM
Tour starts at 3:15
For best viewing, be sure to change to 1080p and full screen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp5f0zbmNgc&t=3m16s

Gary Herrmann
05-05-2012, 8:56 PM
Very cool. Alas, my photography and video skills are abominable. Even though I supported a media services dept for 5 years a lifetime ago. They learned more geek from me than I learned creative from them. Oh well, that's what my shop is for.

And speaking of which, that's a nice looking shop you have. But it's waaay too clean.

Ole Anderson
05-06-2012, 2:16 PM
Alan, very cool, now I think I understand how a steadicam works! So the reason for a steadicam seems to be to hold a steady tip at the horizon and a tilt which is constantly parallel to the horizon with the ability to pan and in doing so, if the camera moves vertically up or down, you don't really notice it. Do you use the Canon for all of your videos now? I have a T2i but need a better sd card for video, as I keep getting messages that my video was automatically stopped. Seems to be a common problem with some sd cards, even though I have a class 10. I liked how you seamlessly were able to speed up the video, I presume while editing. What edit program do you use?

Alan Lilly
05-06-2012, 2:55 PM
Thanks Ole. I use sony vegas for video editing and it's pretty easy to speed up sections of the video.
I use a 16GB sandisk extreme compact flash, capable of 60MB/s and I have never had video capture failure.
Unfortunately, I can't use my canon 7d for all video because of the issue of focusing and hand held use is still too shaky for my taste, but I do plan to use it more often.
I am also planning on eventually upgrading my old vx2000 video camera with a canon vixia hf g10 HD camcorder.