PDA

View Full Version : Finally through with the flatwork and get to play with the 1642.......

Tom Winship
05-05-2012, 7:43 PM
Finished the deer blinds and have been working on the new lathe. Sure a pleasure.

First a potpourri bowl. About 8 x 5 mesquite and pecan. Second, a lidded bowl mesquite with walnut handle. About 5 x 5. Both segmented, obviously. Have to stop playing and build a couple of sleds. 12 segment rings just come off my compound ms perfect.
C and C requested.

Jim Burr
05-05-2012, 9:02 PM
Atta boy Tom!! Great pieces. How do you like the big guy?

Tom Winship
05-05-2012, 9:08 PM
How do you like the big guy?

Love it, Jim. Need to start swinging something larger than 8".

Roger Chandler
05-05-2012, 9:19 PM
I like the segmented work you have done here Tom........both are nice forms.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2012, 9:39 PM
Great looking pieces Tom. Glad to see ya cranking that bad boy up.

Michelle Rich
05-06-2012, 5:51 AM
congrats on your 1642..I luv mine. the lidded bowl is cute

John Keeton
05-06-2012, 6:13 AM
Tom, whatta ya' mean! Your still doing flatwork - just look at all those flat, glued up pieces of lumber!:D Just kiddin' ya'. Nice joinery, very tight. Sounds like you are headed down the sub-vortex of segmentation. You guys are an elite group!

Tom Winship
05-06-2012, 8:10 AM
John, still have HF in my bucket list. That is my 3rd and 4th segmented pieces. What I like about it is the challenge of the joinery. Had to take a piece apart yesterday because of a bad glue joint (Didn't flatten the ring I was adding on).

I also thought since you no longer did flatwork and you don't do segmentation, I would get up your way some day and lighten you inventory of exotic woods, since you won't be using them.

I will never be a Tibbets, but I can sure appreciate what he does.

Donny Lawson
05-06-2012, 8:42 AM
Both look great. I like the 1st one.

John Keeton
05-06-2012, 9:39 AM
I also thought since you no longer did flatwork and you don't do segmentation, I would get up your way some day and lighten you inventory of exotic woods, since you won't be using them.Two things wrong with that plan, Tom. First, I get gentle hints from Ms. Keeton that perhaps my flatwork tools will, in fact, see usage in years to come. Second, my "stash" of exotic woods would fit in a flat rate box! Domestic lumber - now, that is a different story! I have a goodly supply in the barn and every time I walk in the barn, I get a twinge of guilt.:o

Bill Wyko
05-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm in the same boat. i had to finish the humidor I posted in woodworking projects in order to get on the lathe. I'm finally going to get to work on it today.

As far as your projects go, very well done. Isn't it great to finally spin some wood on the new lathe?