PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bed glue up.

Dave Sims
05-05-2012, 4:09 PM
I am trying out some beginner mortise and tennon joints. I am making a cherry headboard and footboard with some square spindles 3/4" x 3/4" that fit into a slot with spacers to give the look like I drilled out some mortises. Some of them are very snug. I have to pull hard to get them out from dry fitting. How snug it too snug? Should I glue them in place?

I will snap a couple of pics later.

Troy Turner
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Dave -

If you want to glue them in, I might would HAND sand the sides down a hair. Maybe a couple of strokes on one side then the other. A little glue on the back into the mortise so you minimize squeeze out and clean up. This will help hold it in place and make it easier to remove if you ever have to replace it or anything down the road.

Also, maybe posting this is the General Woodworking and Power Tool forum could get you some more replies.

Kent A Bathurst
05-07-2012, 7:16 PM
Sound like an Arts & Crafts spindle design. Nice.

My rule of thumb is that I should be able to put tenons into mortises [in effect, that's what you are doing] with some light pressure required going in and coming out. Not hard, not a hammer, but not fall right into place. Kind of a personal preference tactile feel............

Plus - for your application, you are in a "can't lose" situation. If it is too tight to accept any glue, then it is not going to go anywhere after assembly. If it is just right and will accept glue, then it is not going to go anywhere after assembly. The upper and lower rails are going to provide the structural needs. You simply don't want them to rattle....ahh...ummm......:o

Dave Sims
05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
;).

I thought I came up with such a slick idea of gluing in spindles and spacers into a slot because I couldn't figure out another way to get a clean mortise and tennon in an arch. After all day at work brainstorming a way to get the look I want, I logged onto the creek and found out people do this all the time.

I got tied up with putting a new front door in the house. Cant wait to get back at this project. thanks.