PDA

View Full Version : What finish is safe to use on a baby cradle?

David Tiell
03-31-2005, 8:45 AM
Within the next several days, I will be ready to start applying finish to a baby cradle I am building, with the baby expected about the 3rd week of April. Looking for a "baby safe" finish to put on it. Can you guys give me some recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Jim Becker
03-31-2005, 8:49 AM
All finishes sold today are "safe" when fully cured. (That sometimes takes up to a month, depending on the product) Pick the finish you like to use and like the look for your project. Personally, I use water bourne acrylic lacquer (Target Coatings USL) as my top coat for furniture projects that are "things that will be used".

AJ Hamler
03-31-2005, 8:56 AM
Jim's correct.

The terms "food safe" and "baby safe" are largely just marketing terms. If you follow the directions on a can of "food safe" finish, you'll find they're the same as for any other can of finish.

It's kinda like all the magic weight-loss aids for sale out there. Every one promises amazing results with their use. Of course, every one of them instructs you to use them in conjunction with a diet and exercise program to see amazing results.

A.J.