PDA

View Full Version : getting confused with material

James Higgon
05-05-2012, 4:07 PM
Hello all, im having trouble getting my head round a few different materials. Firstly im after a few coloured plastics that will engrave white to use as key rings, im assuming i want normal cast acrylic for this? does this always engrave white?

secondly im after some yellow plastic that will engrave black, also for key rings so it has to be solid, do i need engraving laminate? or do i need engraving acrylic? is there even a difference? if anyone could give me a break down of these few different materials itd be greatly appreciated! thankyou

Ross Moshinsky
05-05-2012, 5:27 PM
Laminated plastic is a 2 or 3 ply (layer) plastic. You engrave a thin layer and it exposes the core color. So if you wanted a yellow key ring with black letters, the cap would be yellow and the core would be black. You'd burn away the top layer to expose the black core.

http://www.rowmark.com/laser/Laser_Engravable_Materials.asp

john banks
05-05-2012, 5:45 PM
Having difficulty finding a UK distributor of Rowmark despite what the Rowmark website says, the named distributor denies they are it!

Darryl Hazen
05-05-2012, 7:50 PM
John, this website sells materials similar to Rowmark. http://www.908ltd.co.uk/

Michael Hunter
05-05-2012, 7:53 PM
UK distributor for Romark is Identify Engraving - now Trotec UK. Some of the consumables are under the Suregrave website.

Ring Beca on 01179530800 (Although this is a Bristol number, it takes you through to the sales dept in Newcastle).

Last time I bought Romark Laserlights, the price had gone up by 45%!!!!!!
If Romark pricing is too high, try HPC Laser - their (Chinese) material is reasonably good and MUCH cheaper.

Michael Hunter
05-05-2012, 8:02 PM
To answer James -

Yes - cast acrylic is best for engraving and gives a "white" engraving. The engraving does not show up well on all colours (even some of the darker ones), so it is a bit try-it-and-see.

For the yellow/black you could try deep engraving on yellow acrylic and colour-filling (with paint or rub-n-buff type stuff).
There are lots of threads here about colour filling.

Engraving laminate (Romark, IPI and Chinese copies will give you the colours that you want, but won't make very nice keyrings.

James Higgon
05-06-2012, 4:59 AM
To answer James -

Yes - cast acrylic is best for engraving and gives a "white" engraving. The engraving does not show up well on all colours (even some of the darker ones), so it is a bit try-it-and-see.

For the yellow/black you could try deep engraving on yellow acrylic and colour-filling (with paint or rub-n-buff type stuff).
There are lots of threads here about colour filling.

Engraving laminate (Romark, IPI and Chinese copies will give you the colours that you want, but won't make very nice keyrings.

Why wouldnt they give nice key rings? what colours would you stay clear of on the acrylic?

Andrew Fleming
05-06-2012, 6:07 AM
Try Engravamet they do a great range, and the one we are using is Matt and 1.5mm thick which will help any warping, the romark materials are 1.3mm thick and over a large sheet of engraving will warp.Not to mention Engravamet is a lot cheaper.

James Higgon
05-06-2012, 6:19 AM
Try Engravamet they do a great range, and the one we are using is Matt and 1.5mm thick which will help any warping, the romark materials are 1.3mm thick and over a large sheet of engraving will warp.Not to mention Engravamet is a lot cheaper.

thanks ill check them out, is engraving laminate typically hard? as ive been having a look on 908ltd at the sheets that they stock and most are listed as "flexible". Im using this for key rings/tags etc so it needs to be solid.

Andrew Fleming
05-06-2012, 6:29 AM
Yes all laminates will be hard enough for key rings, that is what my business is, signage etc and we find that the Engravamet materials are the best value for money and quality.

James Higgon
05-06-2012, 6:38 AM
shame they dont list any prices, what one would you use for key rings then?

Mike Null
05-06-2012, 8:25 AM
James

Why not contact a few suppliers and explain that you're new to the business. Ask if they'll provide you with samples to test. Most of the suppliers here in the US will do that.

Rodne Gold
05-06-2012, 9:05 AM
Most 2 core lams have a thin top layer and will wear and scratch quite badly , especially if in a pocket mixed up with keys
The acrylic will last and look good for a much longer time , generally cheaper than laminates too, just more effort to paint fill which eats up savings.

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2012, 9:34 AM
Why wouldnt they give nice key rings? what colours would you stay clear of on the acrylic?

Most of the laminates are 1/6" which is too thin for decent key rings. The 1/8" is much more expensive and in limited color combinations. You can cut 1/16" acrylic and apply together with the laminate for a thicker key ring, or make your own laminate by painting 1/8" acrylic, but it will show wear from being pocketed.

john banks
05-06-2012, 1:13 PM
Thanks Michael.

Andrew Fleming
05-07-2012, 5:55 AM
JoeAs said above phone or email the suppliers they will send you a sample to try usually about 150mm sq, what I also found is if you are looking around make sure the top surface is thin, some materials have a thick colour top surface which makes it mesy to engrave and slow