PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Magazines*** pay attention*****

Dave Lehnert
05-05-2012, 3:40 PM
Just wanted to give a heads up to some woodworking magazine offers I received in the mail.
They look just like a renewal notice you get from magazines. BUT THEY ARE NOT DIRECT FROM THE MAGAZINE. I could see where a wife would think it was a bill to pay for a magazine you read and just pay it.

The first one I received was for a woodworking magazine. 7 issues for $24.98 but that's only half payment. full payment $49.95. If that's not bad enough, you agree to an auto renew. Want to cancel your subscription, There is a $20 fee.
This one is clear about all the charges but you have to read front and back to take it all in.

Received another one from the same outfit but this time it was for different magazine and it does not give all the details like the first one. looks just like a payment slip. 18 issues $58.00:eek:

Michael Weber
05-05-2012, 3:44 PM
Thanks for passing this on.

Brian Elfert
05-05-2012, 4:44 PM
$20 to cancel a magazine? I don't believe I have heard of this before.

ray hampton
05-05-2012, 5:02 PM

Why not charge to cancel a magazine, if they are anything like other companies, they possible got ten offices in ten different states

Dave Lehnert
05-05-2012, 5:03 PM

And the magazine direct from the publisher is only $21.97.

Kevin W Johnson
05-05-2012, 7:22 PM
Why not charge to cancel a magazine, if they are anything like other companies, they possible got ten offices in ten different states

When you see companies structured this way it's because the laws make them have a physical presence in that state for the business they are in. Insurance is but just one example, you can't just set up office in one state and operate in the other 49, or is that 57 or 58? :eek:

ray hampton
05-05-2012, 7:57 PM
When you see companies structured this way it's because the laws make them have a physical presence in that state for the business they are in. Insurance is but just one example, you can't just set up office in one state and operate in the other 49, or is that 57 or 58? :eek:

do this apply to paying a bill to your local fire station/EMG for the act of transferring a family member to a local hospital but sending the bill to another state other than the one which your fire station are in ?
I believe that the Hawaii state was the last one ,# 50

Kevin W Johnson
05-05-2012, 9:16 PM
do this apply to paying a bill to your local fire station/EMG for the act of transferring a family member to a local hospital but sending the bill to another state other than the one which your fire station are in ?
I believe that the Hawaii state was the last one ,# 50

57 or 58 is a joke for anyone that was paying attention during the 2008 campaign.

As for sending a bill to another state, it's most likely just who processes the payments.... a lot of businesses use such clearing houses to collect payments as they don't want to be involved in tracking people down to collect those payments themselves.

ray hampton
05-05-2012, 10:22 PM
57 or 58 is a joke for anyone that was paying attention during the 2008 campaign.

As for sending a bill to another state, it's most likely just who processes the payments.... a lot of businesses use such clearing houses to collect payments as they don't want to be involved in tracking people down to collect those payments themselves.

So if I sue someone for money , then I will hire someone from Hawaii which will permit me to collect more money ?

Greg Peterson
05-06-2012, 1:50 AM
States rights?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-06-2012, 8:32 AM
"Subscription Scam Alert" (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/subscription-scam-alert)

From the link, it sounds like someone out there has recently been trying to represent themselves as PW; I've seen this with other, non-WW magazines, before . . .

I always find it funny when you subscribe to a magazine and it eventually gets cancelled, and the publisher just transfers your subscription to some other magazine that's not really like the one you were subscribing to at all. This has happened to my wife twice.

John C Lawson
05-06-2012, 8:54 AM
This is not a new thing. "Subscription agents" have been scum since the beginning of time, or at least 40 years since I learned about them at my first job at a publisher. The publisher actually sees very little of what you pay, but honors the subscription for a few reasons: they don't want to tick off a customer, they can get subscribers outside their normal subscriber demographic, and they can still count it as a paid subscription for the purpose of billing advertisers.

Myk Rian
05-06-2012, 9:15 AM
Just wanted to give a heads up to some woodworking magazine offers I received in the mail.
They look just like a renewal notice you get from magazines. BUT THEY ARE NOT DIRECT FROM THE MAGAZINE.
Nothing new. Been getting those for the last 3 decades.

Scott Shepherd
05-06-2012, 9:15 AM
They aren't alone. If you have your own domain name for a website, you can be certain you'll see a bill sooner or later from someone you've never heard of before, for money. I just threw one out the other day. It was a bill that listed our domain name and said we owed $85, due immediately. I can see how someone that just pays the bills would see it and just pay it. It had nothing to do with the company we are registered with. Dirtbags.....

Taking it a step further, we constantly get calls from Verizon telling us we need to change our rate plan. Unfortunately for them, we don't have Verizon and never have. I actually had 1 or 2 sales people walk into the office one day a couple years ago, and tell us how we were paying too much to them because of the plan we had and they were there to help us get the right plan for us so we could save money. They had paperwork and everything. I explained we didn't have Verizon and never did, and he proceeded to tell me that we did have it, or have had it at some point, or they wouldn't have the information. I explained that I was the person that set the phone account up from day one, and I was the person that handled it every day since then, and not 1 day have we ever had Verizon. It's really sad to see how low some people will go to get business.

Greg Portland
05-08-2012, 1:41 PM
Scott, you should have them beat your current Verizon price... $0.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-08-2012, 2:15 PM
I blieve that my wife did something similar for me as a gift for American Woodworker some time back. They called to renew initially and were talking about how the rates were going to go up and similar. Oddly, the cut rate they offered me was higher than the standard rate. Based on this, I said no. When I received the bill, I wrote cancel with a note. I received two more bills. The last bill said something about they would not send out the magazine until I paid my bill.

I have not subscribed directly because I wanted to make sure that things had cleared up (so to speak).

Jim Matthews
05-08-2012, 5:53 PM
Whenever I order something, I include "Apt. 1B" under my address.

The mail comes to my door.
If it's addressed to "Apt. 1B" it goes directly there; Apt. 1B is my garbage can.

I don't know if this irritates me more, or the barrage of calls to my cellphone after I register for something that requires telephone contact.
Sometimes, I suspect they don't even wait until after the primary sales pitch, before the phone number is sold off...

Myk Rian
05-09-2012, 2:27 PM
If I want a magazine, I'll use a card in a current issue to order it.

Myk Rian
05-09-2012, 2:29 PM
Whenever I order something, I include "Apt. 1B" under my address.

The mail comes to my door.
If it's addressed to "Apt. 1B" it goes directly there; Apt. 1B is my garbage can.

So, you order something, only to have it thrown in the trash?
Am I missing something?

Kevin W Johnson
05-09-2012, 4:29 PM
So, you order something, only to have it thrown in the trash?
Am I missing something?

Jims neighbors should start digging thru his trash.....