PDA

View Full Version : Found Stanley 62

Mike Hutchison
05-05-2012, 2:18 PM
Picked up a Stanley No. 62 yesterday for $10
It needs what I understand to be the usual parts;
the whole knob/tightening assembly for adjustable mouth
and it could use a tote also.
Any info on a source for parts for the 62 appreciated.
What was this plane designed to do?
Thanks, Mike H.

Dwight Beebe
05-05-2012, 2:24 PM
Hi Mike,

You got a nice plane there. Get thee to Patrick's Blood and Gore site (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html) for the full Stanley info. In brief the 62 is a low-angle plane, highly sought after. LV makes one, I think L-N might, too. Bill Rittner (http://hardwarecitytools.com/) would be the go-to for a new knob. He makes really lovely replacement knobs and totes. What do you mean "the whole knob/tightening assembly"? I see the knob in you pic. Could you be more specific?

Regards,

Dwight

Jim Koepke
05-05-2012, 2:34 PM
What was this plane designed to do?

At $10, it could be designed to make you some extra money.

I use my LN #62 for end grain and cross grain work.

Have you read the write up at Patrick Leach's site, Blood & Gore?

Start here:

http://www.supertool.com/

And then book mark the main page once you have read the entry proclamations.

jtk

Chris Vandiver
05-05-2012, 2:36 PM
If the casting on your plane is free of any cracks you got one heck of a deal on that plane. Your plane is quite valuable so if you plan on restoring it, do it very carefully, so as not to diminish it's value. Don't do anything until your sure of what your doing. It's probably worth several hundred dollars( if it's crack free ) just the way it is.

Mark Dorman
05-05-2012, 2:59 PM
Might look here (http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/stanley%20by%20numbers/Stanley%2062.htm) for some info too. I wonder how that would work for a chuting plane?

Silas Smith
05-06-2012, 9:22 AM
It looks complete from what I can tell. That is an exceptional find to come up with. Clean that thing up (but not too much), sharpen that blade and put her back to work.

Mike Hutchison
05-06-2012, 9:56 AM
Guys, first off thanks for input
I went to Leach's B&G before making the first post.
Having some time with the plane since then I am little clearer on the parts
referred to in B&G.
By the knob tightening assembly, I am talking about the knob itself, the disk that sits right under knob and the eccentric lever. All of these have damage and need replaced.
Knob has large chip out of it's base and has a circular groove cut into the bottom of the knob base, the disk has about 1/4 to 1/3 broken off and the eccentric lever is bent and is marked up on one side of the oval or kidney shaped slot from where some one tried to tighten the knob while moved clear over to the end of the slot's adjustment range. The eccentric lever has a patent date of 2-20-94 stamped in it. Was life of a patent 25 yrs. back then? That number is floating to the surface of memory for some reason.
Also, by way of full disclosure/report of damage to the plane, it has small cracks at each of the two corners of mouth running towards the toe. The adjustment or sliding section of the plane in front of the mouth seems frozen up and when gently tapped with wood block and wood mallet is more prone to pivoting down with toe as pivot point than sliding forward (or back). The "boss" on top of the sliding section seems in good shape from I can see and the knob threads into it smoothly. I am soaking the front end of the plane with Blaster and WD-40 in an attempt to free it up; this will be followed with some compressed air to see if I can blow enough resin encrusted shavings and dust out to free it up.
With all of above being said, I have already made shavings with the plane after
cleaning the iron and a few freehand strokes on some 220/300 sandpaper.
I have nothing against turning a buck on a CL plane find; But claim to be a user not
a dealer/collector and have used most if not all of the planes I have come across in the last few years. The total now is 30+, not counting cabinet scrapers, spokeshaves and Stanley Shur-Form "planes"
Am going to wrap this up so I can go back out to shop but my hope was to find vintage or same period parts for repair. I don't really claim to do restores. Just clean 'em up
enough for my use. I am putting in a couple more pictures for the heck of it.

James Taglienti
05-06-2012, 10:09 AM
The knob is almost always scored from the little spur on the disc thats supposed to hold it in place. If you got it for $10 bucks and then spend $150 on parts thats your choice - but the things you are describing are pretty much par for the course on this model of plane. At least its still got the eccentric. The knob, disc, eccentric, and tote are all proprietary to the 62 and bring big bucks.

Jeff Bartley
05-06-2012, 10:34 AM
since no one else has said it-----You Suck!! nice score!

Jim Koepke
05-06-2012, 1:37 PM
The eccentric lever has a patent date of 2-20-94 stamped in it. Was life of a patent 25 yrs. back then?

My recollection is the life of a patent was 15 years at the time. That never kept makers from ordering large lots of parts with a date on them before a patent ran its course and then using the parts after the patent expired.

The mark on the blade is usually attributed to roughly 1907 to 1910.

It looks like a nice candidate for a rehab if you can do it without much cost.

As for a user, you might be able to sell it and buy one of the LV or LN modern replacements as a better user candidate. As I recall, my LN #62 was about the same price as what the Stanley #62 was fetching at the time of my purchase. My decision was to opt for the more modern plane with a body that is less prone to all the problems common to the original.

jtk

Derek Cohen
05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Mike, you did extremely well ... far, far better than I did. Mine cost about $90 a good few years ago.

It looks like this today ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Restoration/Stanley%2062/Stanley62completed.jpg

... but it started like this ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Restoration/Stanley%2062/image001.jpg

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/Stanley%2062%20Low%20Angle%20Jack%20renovation.htm l

I must caution you when using the #62 to keep in on softer woods. The thin cast iron around the mouth is fragile and apt to chip. Or, better still, get a LV LA Jack.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff L Miller
05-07-2012, 9:46 PM
Mike, great deal on that plane. I've had two of these, now I own one. The mouth cracks are very common as these are large planes and an operator can generate a lot of force with it. The front knob can be repaired, as can the tote, depending on the damage. As was mentioned, the tote is unique to only two Stanley planes and with the ability to pivot, the bottom is concave. You may PM me and I'll tell you all I know about repairing a tote, FWIW.

Again, great find, we all love stories like yours, keeps us out of the house looking for similar scores.

Jeff

James Taglienti
05-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Mike, great deal on that plane. I've had two of these, now I own one. The mouth cracks are very common as these are large planes and an operator can generate a lot of force with it. The front knob can be repaired, as can the tote, depending on the damage. As was mentioned, the tote is unique to only two Stanley planes and with the ability to pivot, the bottom is concave. You may PM me and I'll tell you all I know about repairing a tote, FWIW.

Again, great find, we all love stories like yours, keeps us out of the house looking for similar scores.

Jeff
Jeff i think youre confusing it with the 10 1/4 the handle doesnt move and it is unique to only the 62. A normal tote can be used if the toe of the tote is cut off or the cutter is short though. You can make a convincing replacement from a 4 size tote.

Jeff L Miller
05-07-2012, 11:48 PM
James, you're 100% correct, I had the two confused. This tote has the short heel to allow for the depth adjuster. Good catch.

Jeff

James Taglienti
05-08-2012, 12:06 AM
I knew for sure they didnt have a pivot handle but for some reason i went back and looked at dereks pictures ! :o