PDA

View Full Version : Festool ETS 150/3 T-Loc + CT 36 combo update

keith denbesten
05-05-2012, 1:46 PM
I have just unpacked and setup everything that came from uncle Bob earlier this week. Did just a little sanding. I just have to say I hate this setup. How dare they make such a well thought out system. Why do I have to send my money overseas to get a tool that performs? Now I know that if another tool purchase is needed (ya right, "if") Festool will have to be looked at first. I mean, the koolaid is good. The ETS 150 3 is smooth running and the dust collection is spectacular. The 150 did get a little warm after 5 min. It wasn't a problem, just wondering if it is a problem after and hour or so of steady sanding for those of you using this setup. For anyone on the fence, I have to say, jump in. Did I say, the koolaid is GOOD!

Mike Metz
05-05-2012, 2:00 PM
my 150/5 gets hot just as your does. i have used it for over 2 -3 hours and it never really gets any hotter than it does after the first 10 min.

keith denbesten
05-05-2012, 2:49 PM
Thanks Mike. I suspected that might be the case.

Alan Lightstone
05-05-2012, 7:40 PM
Never noted it to be an issue.

Will Blick
05-05-2012, 8:21 PM
try turning up the vac speed a bit more... .just enough so it does not create suction.... mine rarely gets hot...warm, but not hot....

keith denbesten
05-05-2012, 8:25 PM
I'll try that Will. I was running on the lowest speed. What speed do you run your vac?
try turning up the vac speed a bit more... .just enough so it does not create suction.... mine rarely gets hot...warm, but not hot....

Will Blick
05-05-2012, 8:36 PM
I run it on max, but have long 27mm hose which reduces CFM at the sander.... so it can take max. vac speed. The shorter the hose, the less hose friction losses, therefore, sometimes the vac can create suction between sandpaper and wood...you will feel slight resistance when moving the sander, experiment, so you get the feel for the resistance with your set up. CFM even varies based on how full the bag is.... more air flow = less heat build up. But as another poster mentioned, these things run forever, regardless.

Next, Green Track Saws, Green drills (CXS!), Green Domino, Green 90RX.... argggg... I drank the kookaid too, don't feel bad..some of their tools are so superior, you forget the price once you start using them. It's a slippery slope :-(

Not to be an Enabler....but the logical "next step" for you, assuming you desire a more aggressive sander, as the 150/3 is ultra fine stroke, is get the 150 Rotex, as you can share the sand paper, so the savings justify the cost :-). The Rotex, even in fine mode, is NOT a finish sander like the ETS. My ETS is my most used sander. The Rotex is for rougher woods, or ripping off finishes, etc., so you might not have a need for it.

keith denbesten
05-05-2012, 8:41 PM
I'm hoping my 22-44 will handle the heavy lifting.

Will Blick
05-06-2012, 12:46 AM
till ya try stuff like sanding box joints, dowels, etc. In other words, when you are past the flat stock stage, and have 3d components :-)
All Festoolians are Enablers, it's a disease....

Richard Dragin
05-06-2012, 1:55 AM
A shop vac is just a shop vac and why on earth would you spend all that extra money on a fancy shop vac? Until you use one for a while and realize what you were missing and don't miss what you were hearing and breathing. But still, haters gonna hate.

keith denbesten
05-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes, the vac is quiet and with the hepa filter is seems like my nose is much happier. It just dawned on me, I don't know why I didn't turn on the Dylos before I sanded yesterday. Well in the next week or so I should be firing things up for a marathon wainscoat and trim sanding project. That's when I'll really get the chance to dial things in. For now, I'm as happy as can be.
A shop vac is just a shop vac and why on earth would you spend all that extra money on a fancy shop vac? Until you use one for a while and realize what you were missing and don't miss what you were hearing and breathing. But still, haters gonna hate.

Alan Lightstone
05-06-2012, 1:15 PM
All Festoolians are Enablers, it's a disease....

True, dat...

Will Blick
05-06-2012, 9:51 PM
Kieth, ran the 150/3 for about 4 hours continuous today... full vac speed.... during the end, the base got a bit warm... I consider it warm, cause I can touch it and hold my fingers on it without pulling them off. So if you really push the sander, and use lots of pressure, I guess mine warms up too...but I really pushed it hard today.

was using some 50 grit paper with the 150/3 to rough sand scratches out of bamboo end grain cutting boards.... too loooong... had to jump over to the Rotex 150, huge difference... the 150/3 really is a fine sander, as grit size is only part of the equation. I have a 150mm Fein as well, it has a 8mm stroke, which is even more aggressive. I have the 22-44 as well, but for small projects, I find it a PITA to change the paper when I want to run up the grit scale.... I normally leave 120 grit on the 22-44. What do you leave on?

I first ran the boards through PM20 Planar with Byrd head, however, end grain is harsh even on carbide shelix cutters, the boards flattened well, but very rough, comes out feeling like sand paper :-) Hence the use of the Festool sanders..

Rick Fisher
05-07-2012, 3:24 AM
I have a 150/5 and a 150/3 .. Both get a bit warm when run for long periods.. I ran the 150/5 for about an hour the other night and it was " warm " but no big deal.. I agree with the poster who said it gets as warm as it is in 10 minutes..

I agree that the 150/3 is a really fine sander .. I use it for really fine grits and sanding finishes.. The 150/5 is more efficient for speed. Its a good reason to have 2 .. lol

keith denbesten
05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Will, I'm trimming the house with flat Mahogany. So I'm starting with a 15hh planer, followed by (and here I haven't started yet) the 22-44 with 150 followed by 180. Then moving to the 150/3 with 180 followed by 220. What do you (all) think. Any ideas to improve the flow and finish will be greatly appreciated. I've got a lot of this to do, and I'm a newby! Also, when I was asking about the warming, I was more thinking about holding the 150/3 more than the pad location. If that makes a difference. It's not hot, just warm.

Will Blick
05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Kieth, what is the trim for? What finish on the trim? If it will receive poly, anything over 150 is prob. overkill, many only go to 120 with poly, so a lot depends on the finish, and where the trim will be. Sounds like a big project...how many lin. feet?

Mark Rakestraw
05-07-2012, 2:58 PM
I second Will's comment about grit. Especially with an open pore wood the return on time investment drops off rapidly after 120. It's been a while since I looked, but some conversion varnishes specifically tell you not sand past 120 grit. Now if you're filling the pores and using an hand-rubbed varnish or oil then the finer grits are well worth the effort.

keith denbesten
05-07-2012, 4:08 PM
Will, the trim is 18 windows and 6 double doors , also a few built in book cases, etc. I'll have to talk with my painter / finisher about the finish and sanding. If this is true, you guys have saved me a ton of work. Hey, if you guys are still checking this thread what clear finish would you recommend especially in areas with full afternoon sun ? I should probably post this question in the finishing section.

Gary Max
05-07-2012, 4:17 PM
Keith you wil also be upset to find out that your Festool is going to last you many years. Just think of all the fun you are going to miss out on hunting around for a replacement.

Shane Holland
05-09-2012, 9:55 PM
The 150 did get a little warm after 5 min. It wasn't a problem, just wondering if it is a problem after and hour or so of steady sanding for those of you using this setup.

Keith, congrats on the new sander and for taking the time to share your positive experiences. I just wanted to comment on the sander being warm. When the sanders are shipped, the brushes are brand new and squared off on the ends. Over the first 5 hours of use, give or take, the brushes will seat against and conform to the armature in the motor. During that time, you will not be getting the full power from the motor and there will be increased heat produced. After this break-in period, you should notice the heat subside and the motor to run at its full potential. This is normal and expected.

As for the dust extraction, you should be able to run it wide open on the 6" sanders without a problem.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or need assistance. sho@festoolusa.com

Thanks,
Shane Holland
Festool USA

keith denbesten
05-10-2012, 2:18 PM
Thanks Shane. You understood my question. That is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for responding. So, good news on 2 fronts, no problem with the heat and I can look forward to MORE sanding power!

Keith, congrats on the new sander and for taking the time to share your positive experiences. I just wanted to comment on the sander being warm. When the sanders are shipped, the brushes are brand new and squared off on the ends. Over the first 5 hours of use, give or take, the brushes will seat against and conform to the armature in the motor. During that time, you will not be getting the full power from the motor and there will be increased heat produced. After this break-in period, you should notice the heat subside and the motor to run at its full potential. This is normal and expected.

As for the dust extraction, you should be able to run it wide open on the 6" sanders without a problem.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or need assistance. sho@festoolusa.com

Thanks,
Shane Holland
Festool USA