PDA

View Full Version : MJ Gripper

Tom Blank
05-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Peachtree had a special a couple of weeks back on the MJ GRR-Ripper (200 with add ons for the price of the 200). I got one and have used it a couple of times. Should have gotten two.

If anyone sees that special pop up again please post a notice.

Thanks,

Tom

Bill Huber
05-05-2012, 12:55 PM
That was some kind of a special, $200 for a $100 item??????

I had the Grr-Ripper for about 2 days and sold it, just to many parts and to much time spend setting it up for each different cut I wanted to use it on. Now I am sure I will be shot for saying that, there are a lot of people on the Creek that love them.

glenn bradley
05-05-2012, 1:20 PM
I believe he means the model 200 with extras for the price of the model 200 alone. There are a few people who do not like the Grr-Ripper. I have two and love them. On my earlier one the parts did not slide easily and I had to dismantle it and sand the profiles a bit. They may have gotten some complaints about that as the one I bought later works fine out of the box. Different strokes for different folks ;-)

Chris Padilla
05-05-2012, 1:33 PM
The Grrrrriper is pretty cool and yeah, it can take just a wee bit o' time to set it up but it certainly has its uses...especially on narrow stuff.

Tom Blank
05-05-2012, 2:28 PM
Sorry that was not clear. The special was for the Gripper 200 plus three add-ons for the price of the 200 alone, about a $40 saving. Have not had any problem adjusting the center leg - for the short time I have used it.

Jim Rimmer
05-07-2012, 1:54 PM
That was some kind of a special, $200 for a $100 item??????

I had the Grr-Ripper for about 2 days and sold it, just to many parts and to much time spend setting it up for each different cut I wanted to use it on. Now I am sure I will be shot for saying that, there are a lot of people on the Creek that love them.

I looked at the Gripper when they had the sale on. I guess it goes back to the "to guard or not to guard" question. From everything I've seen, you have to remove the blade guard to use the gripper. But then the Gripper serves as a blade guard itself but my riving knife is integral to my guard. So, what's a guy to do :confused:

Erik France
05-07-2012, 2:47 PM
Having a pair is nice when needed. I bought a second one not too long after I got my first one, as well as an 1/8" leg. I don't use them both togeather as much as I thought I would.

but my riving knife is integral to my guard. So, what's a guy to do :confused:
Get a shark guard. My shark will let me remove the guard and keep the riving knife in place.

Brian Tymchak
05-07-2012, 3:37 PM
I looked at the Gripper when they had the sale on. I guess it goes back to the "to guard or not to guard" question. From everything I've seen, you have to remove the blade guard to use the gripper. But then the Gripper serves as a blade guard itself but my riving knife is integral to my guard. So, what's a guy to do :confused:

My stock guard had the splitter integrated with it. When I put the Incra rails/postioner on my TS, the guard would not fit around the rear rail, and I wasn't about to cut a big chunk out of my expensive rail. The same company that makes Gripper (Micro Jig) markets a splitter (called the MJ Splitter) that is installed into the TS blade insert. I installed that and am pretty happy with the whole arrangement.

Van Huskey
05-07-2012, 3:42 PM
I am a fan of the Gripper BUT there are plenty of uses I find other things work better for. In the end they are great if you understand their limitations.

Rich Engelhardt
05-07-2012, 4:35 PM
+1 on the MJ splitter.
My Ridgid TS3660 had the splitter/guard & it never worked right. It never seemd to hold it's alignment & I was forever having cuts bind in mid cut & tripping the reset buton when the motor stalled.
I feel a lot safer running the saw w/out the guard and using the MJ splitter.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-07-2012, 7:52 PM
I have grippers. Saved my fingers from a pretty nasty kickback routing raised panels. Routed the gripper pretty good...... I think they're a worthy investment. YMMV

Lori Kleinberg
05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I am with Kyle. Saved my fingers too, but now I need to order a couple of replacement parts for one of my grippers.
As far as the time needed to set them up, I use that to go over my cutting process.

Alan Lightstone
05-08-2012, 1:56 AM
Love mine. Use them all the time on the table saw, jointer, router table. They shine with ripping thin stock.

JoAnn Duggan
08-22-2012, 2:52 PM
I have two grippers and really like them. I have a Rigid 4512 TS with a riving knife and my question is can you use the grippers with the riving knife or do I have to get another 0 clearance insert and get the MJ Splitter? I bought the grippers before I had my Rigid and haven't used them since. I really miss using them.

Myk Rian
08-22-2012, 5:59 PM
You can use them with a riving knife.

I have 2 of them and they are used all the time. Table saw, jointer, router table. Great tool.
Sure, they have lots of parts to them, but you don't have to mount them all.

JoAnn Duggan
08-23-2012, 6:54 AM
Myk:

How do you use them when you have the riving knife on? The knife is too high to clear the Gripper.

paul cottingham
08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Sure, they have lots of parts to them, but you don't have to mount them all.
What? I knew I was doing something wrong....
I don't use my power tools much, but when I do, my grippers are the first thing I reach for.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=JoAnn Duggan;1971523]Myk:

How do you use them when you have the riving knife on? The knife is too high to clear the Gripper.[/QUOTE

Lower your blade. I know that is a whole different argument on how the saw cuts better.....

Myk Rian
08-23-2012, 7:57 PM
Yep. Lower the blade. How high do you set the blade over the workpiece?
The Grrripper gives you just over 1" of clearance.

Rick Potter
08-23-2012, 9:27 PM
A year or so, on an earlier thread, I was one of the folks who saw no use for the Gripper. I had one that was given to me, and never used it. After watching their videos on you tube, I started using it for short narrow cuts, taking the Beis. splitter off, and also for router table and jointer cuts. I have since changed my mind, and actually bought a second one.

This from a guy with a Beis splitter and a whole box full of special push blocks.

PS: I really like the newer Bench Dog push blocks too. The rubber is much stickier than other models.

Rick Potter