PDA

View Full Version : Wooden squares

John Edwards
03-31-2005, 7:57 AM
Would like to add a couple of wooden handled squares to the collection.
How square are they? Can they be readjusted (asssuming it is a "fixed blade" model) if one decides to take a trip to the floor ?

Anyone have a favorite brand, supplier ? What sizes are you finding to be the most useful ?

I enjoy getting tools from small one man operations. Chester Toolworks, Blue Spruce etc. Perhaps someone knows of such a craftsman doing squares ?
Thanks much.

Steve Wargo
03-31-2005, 8:19 AM
Colen Clenton is supposed to make a great square and he ones that are adjustable. I like my Gilted Sorby square though. I've use dropped it on more than one occasion and have been able to correct it with a few taps from a nail set in the proper area. toolsforworkingwood.com carries the Colen Clenton Squares. Hope this helps.

Doug Shepard
03-31-2005, 8:33 AM
I don't have one of their fixed blade types but Bridge City makes some that are adjustable. A little pricey, but they they make really fine tools. I've one of their 6" combo squares that's not only sweet to look at, but very accurate. I've got a couple of their marking/layout tools that are very nice too.

Mark Singer
03-31-2005, 8:49 AM
I have a few fixed blade...one is an old Stanley....they are great! To check for squareness, put it on a board draw a thin line and flip the square over...the line should be parallel to the square blade. If you drop it it will probably not be the same.

Dave Brandt
03-31-2005, 9:00 AM
On the Bridge City topic, while they are indeed pricey, all of their tools are guaranteed. If you drop it, run over it with your car, or cut it with your saw :eek: , they'll fix or replace it for $5! Can't beat that service.

David Fried
03-31-2005, 9:52 AM
I have a few fixed blade...one is an old Stanley....they are great! To check for squareness, put it on a board draw a thin line and flip the square over...the line should be parallel to the square blade. If you drop it it will probably not be the same.

The Better Homes and Gardens "Woodworking Tools You Can Make" book has instructions for making a six inch square from Walnut and brass. They adjusted them using your suggested method. They state that they made seven squares and sent them to the College of Technology at Bowling Grenn State University for testing. "All the squares measured to within .008" of perfect square ...".

Sounds like a pretty good method for adjusting a square!