PDA

View Full Version : Smocks and curlies.

Ted Evans
05-04-2012, 6:13 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how an AAW smock can be convinced to turn a loose of the curlies that get on it from turning? I have a 175 PSI compressor that will not budge them and I refuse to pick them off one at a time. Why can they not use a material that things do not adhere to so strongly? Thanks for any suggests......that work.

Jim Burr
05-04-2012, 7:21 PM
I'd go with Crisco...but I'm funny like that ;->

Ted Evans
05-04-2012, 7:38 PM
Thanks Jim, I did not have any Crisco but I tried some lard......that did not work either. And now my wife says that I smell.

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2012, 7:43 PM
I thought the AAW smocks were made out of nylon and nothing would stick to them! I wear a camo duck hunting jacket that I have had for many years and when it gets dusty - I just step out back and wrap it around a tree a few times! Works pretty good so far!

Jim Burr
05-04-2012, 9:08 PM
Thanks Jim, I did not have any Crisco but I tried some lard......that did not work either. And now my wife says that I smell.

Ha;):D!! Thanks Ted!! In a week filled with disaster, you really made me laugh, bless you for that one sir!:D:D;)

John Keeton
05-04-2012, 9:10 PM
I turn in my standard daily wardrobe - pocketless henleys, with the tail out. Long sleeve in winter, short sleeve in summer. The air hose gets it all off the shirt and me.

Harry Robinette
05-04-2012, 9:25 PM
I were a AAW smock and just shake it a couple times and wash it about every two weeks with my other work clothes.I don't have any problem with chips sticking. My smock is about 8 years old if that would make a differents. I also use the apron that Packard sales in the summer and nothing sticks to it except super glue.

Jon Nuckles
05-04-2012, 9:33 PM
I have the anniversary edition and the nylon sheds well. The collar collects dust, but not shavings. Forgot to shake the shavings out of the back pockets before the last washing, but that's a different story!

Brian Kent
05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
I thought the AAW smocks were made out of nylon and nothing would stick to them! I wear a camo duck hunting jacket that I have had for many years and when it gets dusty - I just step out back and wrap it around a tree a few times! Works pretty good so far!

But when you take it off, how can you find it, Steve?

Ted Evans
05-05-2012, 3:05 PM
Steve, I thought they would be made from some material that would shed chips since it is a turning organization but not so in my case. It is more like Velcro than nylon.

JK, do the henley shirts keep it out of the neck area? That is the location that causes more trouble for me.

Harry, Don't know if the age makes a difference, mine is about two years old. Perhaps it needs more washings.

Jon, I would think rip-stop nylon would be ideal but I did not see that option when I ordered mine.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Bill Wyko
05-05-2012, 3:09 PM
John & Steve, I figured you guys to use an umbrella the way you guys make chips fly. I use a leather apron I traded some mesquite for from a member here. You might try using a pet comb for removing shedding hair on pets.

Chris Colman
05-05-2012, 3:51 PM
It is hot enough out in the shop already that what I need to watch out for is the black walnut dust accumulating on my sweaty forearms too long. Gives you an instant suntan. Kinda splotchy, though.

Scott Hackler
05-05-2012, 4:35 PM
Might be time for a new smock. I bought one of the AAW's anniversary smocks while in St Paul and nothing sticks to it. Don't know if it was really worth the $50 I paid for it though!

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-05-2012, 6:49 PM
I have a different problem. My smock is 100% cotton twill. It is cool comfortable and it easily sheds chips with a bit of a shake. However, that area where wet chips hit is so badly discolored from sappy wood it now looks like I imagine Steve's camo to look.

Richard Thelen
05-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I had some of the same problems with smocks and then I bought an Army Combat Uniform (digital camo) top at the Army/Navy store for $40. It is made of a fabric that chips will not stick to, nor will sanding dust. The collar has a velcro closure as do the sleeves at the wrists. There are pockets on both sleeves and two on the chest. All pockets are covered with velcro flaps. The front zipper has a velcro flap sealing it off. Nothing gets through it and it is cool in summer. Go Army!

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Nothing sticks to my AAW smock. I shake the dust off and wash it every 2 to 3 weeks.

Jim Underwood
05-06-2012, 9:00 AM
I've got a smock made by the same folks that make the AAW smock, and the only thing sticking to it is super-glue...

But dang the thing is hot!:(

It'd be nice to have something that covered well enough, shed the dust, AND would breathe, and not be so hot.

CW McClellan
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Bill Wyko Glad you like my horse hide apron you can put just a little car polish on it when new -As we say in South Carolina "slicker than snot" C.W

Baxter Smith
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
2$ ventilated windbreaker from Goodwill with the sleeves cut off. Zip up collar and side pockets. After a couple years of roughing green wood it probably could use a washing.... but I would only mess it up again.:)

Stephen Walker
05-07-2012, 7:31 AM
I'm with Faust... bought two 100% cotton twill work shirts, one short sleeve and one long sleeve. Granted, they don't have the pockets in the back, but the two on the front do have flaps. A good shake and they're reletively clean.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2012, 8:03 AM
2$ ventilated windbreaker from Goodwill with the sleeves cut off. Zip up collar and side pockets. After a couple years of roughing green wood it probably could use a washing.... but I would only mess it up again.:)

Baxter, you wouldn't want to mess up that nice patina you have accumulated over those two years anyway! :eek:

Thomas Canfield
05-07-2012, 8:11 PM
I have a nylon (flag material) smock made by Kay Leonard, kayl99417@gmail.com, wife of John. I also have a pair of shoe covers out of same material to keep shavings out of shoe laces. I recommend both. She had a booth at SWAT last year and I expect she will be there agian. Smock is $25 and shoe covers are $10 to best of my memory.