PDA

View Full Version : Multiplying backsaws

Cody Cantrell
05-04-2012, 3:15 PM
I have a late model Disston backsaw that is sized for a mitre box. I dont have a mitre box for this saw and was going to cut this saw in half and make two smaller backsaws out it. Is this feasible? Any thing I need to take into consideration? Thanks for the help.

Cody

Jim Koepke
05-04-2012, 3:37 PM
How long is the saw? I find my 16" Disston back saw very useful with a bench hook for trimming various things.

It would be difficult to cut.

You could make a simple mitre box from scrap wood. Of course if you do not have a use for a mitre saw that is a different story.

jtk

Cody Cantrell
05-04-2012, 3:55 PM
It is 24" I already have a Langdon Acme 74C that serves me well. I was thinking about making two saws for my boys.

george wilson
05-04-2012, 6:07 PM
The teeth on miter box saws is generally quite fine. You will end up with saws that have very fine teeth. Try sawing something with the saw and see if it cuts fast enough to suit you as back saws before you chop it up.

Chris Vandiver
05-04-2012, 7:04 PM
Also note that the saw plate on a miter saw is usually pretty thick, certainly thicker than what is commonly seen on a back saw.

David Turner
05-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Yep, I cut a miter box saw in half including the the spine. My experience is that the saw plate is too thick and the saw blade width makes the saw unstable/unwieldy in use. Sold it but still have the other half. Haven't finished it because of the lack of holes for a handle.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Cody Cantrell
05-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the responses. You guys have talked me out of it.