PDA

View Full Version : "Genie in a bottle"

Ken Glass
05-04-2012, 3:10 PM
Hey All,
Here is a Thingy I completed that the wife says resembles a Genie in a bottle, so that's what I named it. It is Big Leaf Maple Burl and is 17" tall and 3-1/2" wide at its widest. I had a few narrow pieces of BLM laying around and decided to try something different. I put three coats of Tung Oil on it and then Beall buffed it with Ren Wax. Both sides were very different grain. I personally like the first view better with the flaring grain better than the second view, how about you? Comments are always welcome.

Ted Evans
05-04-2012, 3:45 PM
This is absolutely awesome in my view Ken. Beautiful wood and I love the form. I prefer the second view and not being the least bit artistic, cannot tell you why, only that it really appeals to me.

wes murphy
05-04-2012, 6:49 PM
Not that I'm a critic of art pieces, but this piece seem out of proportion. Looks rather top-heavy sitting on such a small base but, nonetheless, it's a beautiful work or art.

Steve Schlumpf
05-04-2012, 7:45 PM
Ken - have to agree with Wes in that the finial portion makes the piece appear top-heavy. Beautiful wood!

David DeCristoforo
05-04-2012, 8:18 PM
I have to agree with the comments about the piece looking top heavy. But all you have to do is block out the pedestal and suddenly it comes together into a very unusual but really cool looking form.

Eric Holmquist
05-04-2012, 8:46 PM
I expect to see Barbara Eden pop out when you take the top off. The bottle is great.

Jim Burr
05-04-2012, 8:52 PM
Wow Ken!!! Overall impression is amazing! I think, not being a turned art guy....if you broke up the finial with blackwood or something...maybe a different impression? Again, cool vision and good job on bringing it together!

Michelle Rich
05-05-2012, 7:01 AM
this is totally different & quite interesting.(elongated pear??) .cover with your finger, the black base, & it is very very interesting piece..I'm not too sure about the finial..something a tad off there, but the idea is cool. I'd be interested to see you make another & fine tune it...thanks for sharing

Ken Glass
05-05-2012, 8:48 AM
Thanks for your comments. It was an experiment with couple small pieces of BLM I had. It just kind of evolved as I turned with no planning. I do like the overall shape, but as mentioned the base adds nothing to it and the Finial needs much refining to look proportional. I will do another one, but with some of the suggested changes. Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Interesting piece Ken. I do like the shape and I agree about the finial.