PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw X6 Acquire Image Greyed Out

Greg Bednar
05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I tried to acquire an image from my Epson scanner directly into CorelDraw and found X6 has it greyed out. It seems to be a 64 bit driver issue since I have a 64 bit system. Epson says they have a 64 bit driver, I tried to install it to no avail. Some forums say Epson's drivers aren't true 64 bit even though they say they are.

Just another layer of work around to complete before getting an image into Corel. X5 did it on this same computer, X6; no way ....YET.

Anyone else with a 64 bit system notice this?

Jeff Aichinger
05-05-2012, 2:03 PM
I have a Canon injet that does work as a scanner in Win7, X6 and a Brother laser printer that does not work. Both worked fine w/ Win7 & X5 on my older computer.

Greg Bednar
05-05-2012, 4:08 PM
I recently purchased somewhat of a workaround here http://www.softbotz.com/wia/ . It will do for now, and at least beats the unknown of wondering when Corel or the scanner people will come out with their own 64 bit drivers. Perhaps it will help you too.

Frank Corker
05-05-2012, 8:37 PM
I've heard that you need to have a 64bit scanner in order to use it with Corel 6 but not too sure if the information is correct.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
05-28-2012, 4:35 PM
The 64 bit version of CorelDRAW X6 only works with 64 bit TWAIN drivers, not WIA drivers. More information is available here:
http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/33056.aspx
and here
http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.com/2012/03/coreldraw-x6-64-bits-scanning-twain.html
T.

Greg Bednar
05-28-2012, 7:07 PM
@Tony - Yes, I am aware NOW that the 64 bit version of CorelDraw X6 does not work with WIA drivers and that 64 bit TWAIN drivers are not available. It would have been nice to be aware of this BEFORE I laid out the money for the X6 and it would have been nice for Corel to release X6 AFTER it had addressed this issue. I purchased the Softbotz work around. After all is said and done, IMHO it is bogus for a company like Corel to rush this product to market on the heals of X5 with this glaring issue.

If is sounds like I'm upset, it's because I am. You purchase a program like Corel with all its "street cred" with the expectation that it will work with at least the same functionality as the previous release(s) - and not a buggy, "we'll fix this in the future" attitude. It hurts the product, it hurts the little guy like me who expects it to work flawlessly from the start, and it hurts Corel in toto to let something like this, not slip through their fingers mistakenly, but KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY allow a product to be released with this kind of hole. Not to mention Epilog laser who endorses this product as a kind of defacto standard for all of their engravers.

So Tony, please accept this post as Bednar's epistle to the Corelians. I hope someone at Corel corrects this issue soon. If Softbotz had a work around for $9.00, surely some licensing venture through Softbotz could have been incorporated into X6 until the 64 bit issue had been resolved.

With this response in mind - I hope Corel throws all the X6 owners a bone!