PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Pops

Stephen Tashiro
05-04-2012, 9:53 AM
I like the freezer pops that are available locally, which are Fun Pops from Alamance Foods - all the way across the country in Burlington NC. What are some other brands?

I wonder if you could create homemade freezer pops with Koolaid. I suppose they would need an ingredient to keep them from freezing rock hard. Fun Pops have "vegetable gum".

David G Baker
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I grew up with Koolaid freezer pops.

Ryan Mooney
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
I wonder if you could create homemade freezer pops with Koolaid. I suppose they would need an ingredient to keep them from freezing rock hard. Fun Pops have "vegetable gum".

Fruit juice works as well. For regular pops the sugar generally stops them from freezing to hard.

Michael Weber
05-04-2012, 4:34 PM
there is a syndicated column in the local paper called "Everyday Cheapskate" or something like that. They had a receipe for "healthy" freezer pops a few days ago. Didn't pay much attention to it but remember the main ingredient was yogurt with fruit. I think the idea was to eliminate the sugar.

John Lohmann
05-04-2012, 4:37 PM
Tupperware made holders that you could pour KoolAid into, but that was 15 years ago, papercups & popsicle sticks work

Belinda Barfield
05-04-2012, 5:26 PM
Tupperware still makes the molds. There are thousands of recipes out there for freezer pops, fudge pops, etc. Most are made with jello pudding, jello, or fruit juice and unflavored gelatin. The gelatin keeps it from freezing rock hard.

Ryan Mooney
05-05-2012, 6:31 PM
When I was a kid we always used ice cube trays for molds... Not quite as handy as the purpose made ones but still worked.

Dang now I want to make some pops!

John Lohmann
05-05-2012, 8:45 PM
Reminds me that we used to eat Junket too, sucks being poor

Paul Gallian
05-05-2012, 9:46 PM
My freezer pops but I assumed it was in a defrost mode..

curtis rosche
05-05-2012, 10:06 PM
i used to make the freezer pops with koolaide. then i discovered frozen peaches in light syrup. not the quite the same as freeze pops, but i think they taste better. let them freeze and then they become frozen like ice, or you can let them slushy. very tasty

Stephen Smith Sr
05-06-2012, 7:34 PM
Ok, so in the last month or so, I just heard about pickle pops! You take the left over juice from the jar of pickles and freeze them in Popsicle molds. Apparently some ball fields sell them at concession stands. I like pickles, but I'm not thinking pickle juice pops sound appealing.

paul cottingham
05-06-2012, 8:25 PM
We make me with pineapple juice. Daughter loves them.

Jim Underwood
05-07-2012, 5:01 PM
I like the fruit pops made by Edys.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
I used to eat the frozen lemonade strait from the can with a spoon.

Sure feels good when you have a soar throat.

jtk

Kevin Gregoire
05-09-2012, 12:03 AM
yeah freezer pops rock in the summer time, would have a garbage can full of empty plastic tubes.

we used to have some plastic thing that looked like a deep well ice cube tray and you would pour in koolaid or whatever
and then set the plastic sticks in and after they freeze you just pull them out but they did take a long time to suck as
they were frozen solid. need to find a solution to pour in that doesnt freeze solid.
i ended up giving the thing to an ex-girlfriend for her kids but i would think someone still has to make it.