PDA

View Full Version : Subtle router risk (to your fingers) to watch out for...

ian maybury
05-04-2012, 5:01 AM
:rolleyes: I had an 'educational experience' a few weeks ago while routing a very fine chamfer on the edge of the rip table I built for my saw with a 45 deg cutter, and was lucky not to do real harm to a finger. It's maybe worth pointing out the risk.

Because the cut was light the cutter was pulled right back up inside the machine so that quite a lot of the upper and largest diameter part of it was showing above the base plate. I was concerned that the router might tip over as it negotiated a corner, and so was holding it by the guide posts down near the base and concentrating on the cut.

The exposed cutter was covered on one side by the dust connection, but open on the other. It never crossed my mind that there was a risk (cutters somehow seem to belong below the base) until next thing there was a bump and I had a sore and bleeding index finger tip.

I was actually quite lucky, in that it could very easily have removed the whole tip of my finger in successive cuts. Some combination of reflexes and the impact of the cutter meant instead that I ended up with a couple of deep cuts (one probably hit bone and kicked the finger out) and blood everywhere - with only minimal nail and cosmetic damage. It's all healed up just fine with no treatment beyond sticky tape.

All's well that ends well, but I'll be taking care in future and using those prissy little plastic bits that seemed to be only for dust guarding if I can in future...

ian

Mikail Khan
05-04-2012, 5:49 AM
Thanks for the warning. Glad you're OK.

MK

Paul McGaha
05-04-2012, 8:18 AM
Thanks for posting Ian.

We have to watch it every second of everything we do don't we?

Glad it's not too bad of a cut.

PHM

Ryan Hellmer
05-04-2012, 3:39 PM
Wow, that's one I never would have thought of. I think this is one of many reasons I can't figure out why D-handled routers aren't more popular. I almost exclusively use mine for edge routing because the hold is so much more stable.

Ryan

ian maybury
05-04-2012, 4:46 PM
Ta guys. It really caught me out...

ian

Peter Quinn
05-04-2012, 6:47 PM
I've always wondered why that other side is wide open? I've come pretty close to danger using a trim router, one of those little pc R2D2's, and it has only one side open. It's so easy to focus on the work and lose track of the hands. Glad you're ok.

Larry Edgerton
05-04-2012, 8:15 PM
I had Nordic make me a 2" radius cove bit with a 1" bearing. That is one that scares me when I fire it up.

I was a little intimidated the first time I used it and in my nervousness I flipped the speed switch the wrong way. Maybe it is me bad eyes? Anyway, flipped that sucker on at 21,000 rpm and freaked me out! Sounded like a air raid siren was going off.

I have a bunch of those little Porter Cables that Peter is talking about, and it would be easy to do that on them as the base is so small a circle. I commonly hold a finger on the base plate to feel what is going on but keep that short distance in mind.

I don't like the ones with the plastic guards, can't see what I am doing so I will just have to be careful.

Glad you are all right, close calls are just good warnings though. May have saved you from a bad one down the road.

Larry

glenn bradley
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Glad you're OK. Constant vigilance is the order of the day; every day ;-)

Myk Rian
05-04-2012, 10:08 PM
You had your finger INSIDE the router base?

ian maybury
05-05-2012, 4:45 AM
:) Not intentionally.....

ian

Brian Kent
05-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I really appreciate this warning. The three tools that have nicked my finger tips the most are the router, the belt sander, and the japanese pull saw. All have been small, but irritating.

Jim Matthews
05-05-2012, 1:35 PM
I really appreciate this warning. The three tools that have nicked my finger tips the most are the router, the belt sander, and the japanese pull saw. All have been small, but irritating.

Only one of those has a feedback mechanism to shut down.