PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the light up acrylic bases that Jim Good used to sell

nathan mcafee
05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Am an newbie that is spending every waking moment reading every post on this board. I love the light up acrylic light up bases that Jim Good used to sell but sent him a couple of messages with no response. Can anyone push me towards a different (but inexpensive) source. Am 2 weeks into my epilog laser and trying as many different things as I can to learn.

Thanks,

Nathan McAfee

nathan mcafee
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Bump, can anyone push me to a vendor. Haven't heard back from Jim so he must be putting his energy elsewhere. Am new and need ANY sales I can get. I think these would be great for my school contacts.

Thanks,

Nathan

Steven Cox
06-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I just ussually make my own from timber and aluminium angle. I use some 19mm thick timber about 50mm wide then using a router cut a 12mm wide slot about 10mm deep. Then drill a 4mm hole in one end to pass the wires through. Then use some 20mm x 20mm x 1.6mm Aluminium angle to form the clamp for the Acrylic, I cut the angle long enough to cover the routered slot.

The LED light is the easy part, I just buy a roll of 12 volt waterproof strip and cut it to the length I need and fit it in the slot and pass the wires through the end hole. Attached is a simple drawing to give you an idea. The LED is simple to wire up, you just need a soldering iron and some solder. The LED strip sells for less than $20 for a 5mt roll. So these bases cost me less than $5 to make and don't take long either. You can finish the wood with clear varnish or just paint them black. I fix the aluminium angle on with some decorative screws.233850

George Brown
06-06-2012, 1:52 PM
Steven, where do you get LED strips at that price? Ones I found were quite a bit more. You also need to get inexpensive 12 V power supplies.

Steven Cox
06-06-2012, 8:03 PM
Steven, where do you get LED strips at that price? Ones I found were quite a bit more. You also need to get inexpensive 12 V power supplies.

Firstly be warned there is some LED out there, the trick is finding the right supplier. I but mine on eBay from a store called Citipower Mall. So far I've found his stuff to be good quality and cheap price, I usually buy a min of 10 rolls each time but you can buy as little as 1, they also sell the power supplies, coloured LED and RGB LED. I've been buying from them for over 2 years now and never had a problem, and Yes they are in China!.

I've found the 3528 LED with 60 LEDs per mt (5mt = 300 LEDs) to be perfect for most applications. They also sell the 5050 type but I think they are too bright for edge lit signs.

Hope this helps
Regards Steve.

Bill Cunningham
06-06-2012, 9:24 PM
Firstly be warned there is some LED out there, the trick is finding the right supplier. I but mine on eBay from a store called Citipower Mall. So far I've found his stuff to be good quality and cheap price, I usually buy a min of 10 rolls each time but you can buy as little as 1, they also sell the power supplies, coloured LED and RGB LED. I've been buying from them for over 2 years now and never had a problem, and Yes they are in China!.

I've found the 3528 LED with 60 LEDs per mt (5mt = 300 LEDs) to be perfect for most applications. They also sell the 5050 type but I think they are too bright for edge lit signs.

Hope this helps
Regards Steve.

Now that's weird! They don't ship to Canada..It's on the excluded list for worldwide shipping..

Steven Cox
06-07-2012, 2:50 AM
I think you might be reading the wrong section Bill, Canada shows as 19 - 29 days delivery. Australia is listed as 14 to 24 days but most of our orders have averaged 10 days.
They are pretty responsive to emails so if you think there might be a problem email em first, I sure they'll sort it out for you.

walter hofmann
06-07-2012, 5:57 AM
Hi there
I bought the LED strips 300 pcs from here vere please and fast

greetings
walt

George Brown
06-07-2012, 9:42 AM
Thanks Steven, they also have 600 LED rolls, maybe giving a more even illumination. I will try those. Their power supplies are a little pricey, but found a source on ebay for $3.25 each, from livingchannel. Looks good, UL listed, will order some of those.

George

Jonathan Overlin
06-13-2012, 7:41 PM
Stephen & George- are you just hard wiring the power supplies, or are you also acquiring female connectors to solder onto the LEDs?

Steven Cox
06-13-2012, 8:21 PM
Stephen & George- are you just hard wiring the power supplies, or are you also acquiring female connectors to solder onto the LEDs?

You can do it either way, my preference is to add a female plug, that way if you have issues with a power supply it's easy to change. You can buy female plugs pre wired with about 300mm wire on them on various sites on ebay for a couple of bucks (or less). Just remember that unlike a 12 volt globe that can be wired either way, LED's must be wired correctly + to positive and - to negitive.

Hope this helps
Regards Steve.

Steven Cox
04-24-2014, 8:33 PM
I had a request recently for more info on how to put the timber LED Edge lit sign bases to gether so I've drawn this graphic, hope it helps. When I get my stuff out of storage (moving house & having a holiday so won't be any time soon) I'll try to remember to post some pics of actual products.

Regards st all Steve.287956

Rich Kruyer
05-01-2014, 5:34 PM
Here are some bases that I created out of Corian material.288520288521