PDA

View Full Version : New Tool I Made

Jason Ritchie
05-03-2012, 9:23 PM
I have been wanting one of these for a long time after seeing it demo'd on several youtube videos but could not afford it so I made my own version. I have not yet tried it but I'm looking forward to it. I hope it works ok. I used 1/2" bar steel from Lowes and round carbide cutter bit from Easy Wood Tools. The handle is beech that has been stained with minwax red mahogany stain then several coats of minwax water based poly.

The steel bar stock was pretty rough with lots of pits and rust so after grinding out the recess I chucked it up in the drill chuck on my lathe and sanded through grits: 220, 320, 400, 600. The Klingspor sandpaper is the only paper that I have found that works without clogging up on this metal and it leaves a very fine finish. I also gave it a quick buff with white diamond which brought up the shine even more.

Roger Chandler
05-03-2012, 9:44 PM
That is a nice tool! Let us know how it works! One note of caution.......that is a finish tool..........in other words, use it to do a couple of finish passes.........light cuts, with the angle at about 40-45 degrees...........other wise it will be very grabby and you will not like the results! Also, it is for pull cuts.....center out to the rim...........never do a push cut with it!!!

I did not know what your experience is as far as this type of tool.........just trying to save you some heartache!

Bernie Weishapl
05-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Looks like it will work fine. I do have the Ci0 with the square bar. I run it at center and you can use both a pull and push cuts with ease. I do love mine.

Bruce Lundgren
05-03-2012, 10:27 PM
+1 with what Roger's comment about using it for finish . Be careful about catches.

Ted Evans
05-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Looks like you did a great job on the tool Jason. I made one of the same ones and one with the square bit when I first started turning and they worked great. About the only time that I use them now is to take bark off when needed. I think you will enjoy yours.

Jason Ritchie
05-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! I made it to try and get cleaner finish cuts on the inside of my bowls. I'm not sure if its the wood or my technique but I get the two patches of rough grain/tear out on the inside that sanding doesn't cure. Probably a little of both, wood and technique. I'll let you know how it works out.