PDA

View Full Version : Paint for new bathroom cabinets

Larry Browning
05-03-2012, 2:34 PM
We are remodeling the bathroom in my rent house and we want to paint the new bare wood cabinets black. What is the recommended finish for this? I am planning on a spray finish. I am just not sure as to what would be my best choice for this.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Holmes
05-03-2012, 2:53 PM
Go to a local paint store and get a top quality 100% acrylic enamel in then final sheen you want on the cabinets. 2 coats light sand with320 then final coat. A primer first is always the best practice.

Jeff Monson
05-03-2012, 3:07 PM
Go to a local paint store and get a top quality 100% acrylic enamel in then final sheen you want on the cabinets. 2 coats light sand with320 then final coat. A primer first is always the best practice.

How about a tinted laquer? Just wondering what the advantages of acrylic enamel over a tinted laquer like EM6000.

Scott Holmes
05-03-2012, 3:35 PM
Jeff,

As I read you note I was thinking "no lacquer is not as durable unless it's a catalyzed lacquer". Then I see ou say EM6000.

Which isn't a lacquer, as in nitrocellulous lacquer. EM6000 is an excellent finish. I would say either will be fine...

Larry Browning
05-03-2012, 4:49 PM
I really like the EM6000. I use it on most of my projects as a clear finish. I did not know it could be tinted and used as a paint! However, with this project I need to get it done quickly and I can't wait on shipping. I think I will just go to Sherwin-Williams and pick out a good primer and top coat as you suggest. Thanks for your suggestions.

Scott, are you saying I should do a coat of primer, then 2 coats of the paint and not sand between coats. Then sand that with 320 before the final 3rd coat?

Larry Browning
05-03-2012, 5:12 PM
I was looking on Targets website and they have a EM6600 Deep Black WB lacquer that looks pretty interesting.
http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/catalog/EMTECH_EM6600_WB_Black_Lacquer-36-1.html

It seems to say that it can be used as a primer and a top coat. What do you think of this? I am wondering if I could tell them they might have to wait a couple more days on the cabinets so I can get a better finish on them.

Scott Holmes
05-03-2012, 5:36 PM
Raw wood I would prime then 2 coats then sand then final coat.

I suspect you could find something close to EM6000 Black @ a SWpaint store.

Jim Becker
05-04-2012, 10:11 AM
EM6xxx is available in black now...and that's what I would likely use.

Todd Burch
05-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Larry, I painted my bath cab interiors with oil based enamel. I rolled as much as I could with a mini roller and then brushed the corners. After it flowed and fried, after two coats, sanding after the first, and then waxing the final coats - it's awesome. Better than I would have hoped. Pretty fast to apply too with the mini roller. (Clean up was a snap too: mini roller = trash!)

Todd

Scott Holmes
05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Todd,

Does the oil finish still smell when you open the cabinet? I suspect it may. That's onedrawback to oil based finishesthey off gas for a long time. In closed spaces inside a project it seems like forever.

Todd Burch
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
No, the interior of the linen cabinet pretty much smells like bathroom paraphernalia at this point. I suspect the wax helps. It's been a few months too.