PDA

View Full Version : If you could design your own lathe, what would you want?

Bill Wyko
05-03-2012, 1:03 PM
As we all know, there are many quality lathes out there. Some have features different than others. But if you could say to a Mfg, I'd like to see a lathe with these features, what would they be?

Jamie Donaldson
05-03-2012, 1:04 PM
My Stubby, Studly!

Roger Chandler
05-03-2012, 1:42 PM
Enough weight to make it stable, a premium continuous duty, 3 hp, fan cooled motor, premium electronics and variable speed, reversing capability, stainless steel ways, wide belts for full transfer of power on finely machined pulleys, a full array of toolrests, a well engineered dust collection attachment, tailstock swing away, sliding and pivoting headstock that will allow outboard turning anywhere along the bed, a tailstock and toolrest lock up that will not slip, a steady rest made as an accessory that comes with the lathe [of premium quality] a large 24 to 28 inch swing, about 55 inches between centers, premium machining on the quill, ways, spindle, pulleys, and a 10 year warranty! And a remote power switch.

Nathan Hawkes
05-03-2012, 1:58 PM
For me, I'd want a minimum of 20" of swing, preferably 24", 3HP, STAINLESS bed ways, a minimum of 1000 lbs of cast iron, 3HP (2HP is definitely not enough for my style of roughing large bowls), and user-adjustable settings on the VFD. I HATE that Powermatic locks out the user from adjusting the parameters of the VFD. They said I could "mail back" my VFD for lockout removal, but who can afford to mail back the controller for their lathe and be without your lathe for any extended period of time????? I want my lathe to start at ZERO when on the lowest speed pulleys. Sanding warped bowls is a pain to do when you have to spin it by hand; 50 rpm is NOT slow enough. It would also be nice to be able to change the deceleration and acceleration times when working with small pieces of wood--when you stop and start boxes probably 10-15 times minimum to check progress and lid fit during turning, the several seconds to start, and re-start the lathe adds up to lots of lost time working on more pieces. Obviously this would need to be adjusted for larger work. A large bowl might fly apart if you try and start it too quickly, and the lathe may trip the breaker if the VFD had to stop it too suddenly. Additionally, I would want a quill diameter of 2" or better on the tailstock, and 6" of travel. When turning larger pieces on my PM, I have to extend the tailstock quill out almost to the maximum to keep the toolrest banjo from contacting the spinning hunk of wood. This puts a lot of force on a fairly skinny hollow tube, which most definitely flexes when turning large or out of balance hunks of wood. I haven't noticed any flex in the spindle, but I wonder what kind of wear I'm putting on the headstock bearings if the tailstock quill flexes as much as it does. A sliding headstock is a must, as being able to work from the end of the lathe without leaning over the bed ways can really save your back. Furthermore, the weight ballast box castings in the PM were absolutely a necessity for my turning style. Other manufacturers should follow their lead. The lathe would be impossible to move, transport, or assemble if it weighed 500-600lbs more than it already does without my ballast box. I still had to bolt it to the slab to make it more rigid. More mass=less vibration.

Edit: I forgot to include the remote power controls! Leaning across the line of fire to adjust speed creates a serious pucker factor. :eek:

Tim Rinehart
05-03-2012, 2:11 PM
A cupholder would be nice...but I'm told purists frown on that sort of thing!:p

Roger Chandler
05-03-2012, 2:14 PM

Too many curlees flyin' to use one of those!

Wally Dickerman
05-03-2012, 3:27 PM
I've had 9 lathes in 75 years, each one bigger and better than the last one. So what do I want on my next lathe?

At least 700 lb. 24 inch swing. A hardened spindle with a groove for locking on faceplates and chucks. Electronic speed control starting at near zero rpm's. A 4-second deceleration and a change to 11 seconds for heavy pieces. A remote switch. An outboard bed with a banjo, for turning HF's, and bowls. Reverse turning at all speeds. A swing-away for the tailstock. Indexer. Easy to use spindle lock. Quiet running. A 10-inch handwheel. Secure locking banjos and tailstock.

Ummm, wait a minute...I already have all of those things in my Oneway lathe.

So what would I want in addition? An attached lighting system. A better way to handle dust. A self-cleaning system.

Jim Underwood
05-03-2012, 3:49 PM
First, I'd like the precision of a machinist lathe....

I have a very low opinion of those who say +-1/16" is "good enough for a wood lathe". No it ain't, ya knothead. :mad:

curtis rosche
05-03-2012, 4:28 PM
similar to what i have now, but. a 3 hp motor with vfd. ill keep my 9 speed gear box (somethin about shifting gears is cool!)
i would change to chain and sprocket drive for really hard woods and big blanks. 26 inch swing. a 6ft bed incase i need it, but it dettaches for just doing bowls and hfs.

Pete Jordan
05-03-2012, 4:38 PM
Lets get serious! Serious

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2012, 4:49 PM

And so it begins....:D

Jon McElwain
05-03-2012, 4:54 PM
I've had 9 lathes in 75 years, each one bigger and better than the last one. So what do I want on my next lathe?

At least 700 lb. 24 inch swing. A hardened spindle with a groove for locking on faceplates and chucks. Electronic speed control starting at near zero rpm's. A 4-second deceleration and a change to 11 seconds for heavy pieces. A remote switch. An outboard bed with a banjo, for turning HF's, and bowls. Reverse turning at all speeds. A swing-away for the tailstock. Indexer. Easy to use spindle lock. Quiet running. A 10-inch handwheel. Secure locking banjos and tailstock.

Ummm, wait a minute...I already have all of those things in my Oneway lathe.

So what would I want in addition? An attached lighting system. A better way to handle dust. A self-cleaning system.

I kept thinking that your description sounded a lot like my Oneway! The Oneway lighting system is top notch albeit pricey. I considered the dust hood, but it doesn't move down the ways nor to the outboard side, and I didn't feel like paying a premium price for a stationary hood.

How would you describe a self cleaning system? Is that a theoretical catch-every-curly system so that you can turn without ever having to clean?

How about a lathe mounted random orbital power sander attachment that could fit through a 1" hole in the top of a hollow form and sand the inside of the form? How about a chip extraction system for hollow forms that removes shavings from the inside of a hollow form while you turn? Also an infinitely variable decelerator that ranges from 2-4 seconds to free spinning. A wireless remote would be nice too.

Reed Gray
05-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Well, I would want a 5 hp motor, short bed or sliding headstock, main pulley shaft about 3 inch diameter, and the spindle turned down 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch. I would want the headstock spindle attachment to be able to unbolt, and the spindle not to protrude more than about 1 1/2 inch away from the headstock housing, so there would be no vibration when turning larger bowls without the tailstock. Most of the large lathes that can unbolt for removing the headstock housing have a bell type housing over the end of the spindle to house the bearings. This puts the bowl mounting another 2 to 3 inches away from the headstock. Variable speed from 0 to 3000. It is a crime what PM/Jet/WMH (or what ever) tool have done to the controllers on their lathes. My PM 3520A went down to 0, and if I wanted to change the settings on the lathe, all it took was a call to PM. Weight wise, maybe 1000 lb. and the bed extension on the end to cantilever out 18 or so inches so I don't have to straddle a let to turn the curves on the bowls. I guess, kind of like a VB36, only more. Insert Tim the Tool Man protosimian grunts here.....

robo hippy

Eric Holmquist
05-04-2012, 7:20 AM
3HP Inverter Duty Motor
Stainless Steel Ways
Sliding Headstock
Decent Mass (600 lbs+)
20"+ Swing over bed
34"+ between centers
Excellent construction with matching warranty
Unlocked VFD with excellent electronics
Hardened spindle with groove
Easy to use indexing (48 position+)
4"+ tailstock travel with builtin ruler
Movable controls or secondary remote control
Rock solid clamping mechanisms on banjo / tailstock
Tailstock swing mechanism

Reed Gray
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Eric,
Sounds like a Robust to me.
robo hippy

Rick Markham
05-04-2012, 1:06 PM
If we are shooting for the stars, I'd want a custom one! I'd want one of those ones that they turn drive shafts for aircraft carriers on, and large turbines for powerplants. Think I can get Al to make me a Kobra for that? :D I'd settle for a Serious, Robust, or a stubby... :rolleyes:

Prashun Patel
05-04-2012, 2:05 PM
Bill, the responses you are getting seem to suggest people just want bigger, better lathes with features that already exists. I too lust for a Robust, but if I could design *features* here's what I'd want:

A new type of ways that allows tail stocks/articulating arms/steadys/tool rests to be quickly mounted and dismounted without having to play Tower of Hanoi.

A counterbalancing mechanism that somehow corrects for vibration when turning items that are out of round and mitigates the need for a huge/weighted stand. This would allow lathes to be placed more reliably on mobile stands.

Integrated dust hoods

curtis rosche
05-04-2012, 3:09 PM
Well, I would want a 5 hp motor, short bed or sliding headstock, main pulley shaft about 3 inch diameter, and the spindle turned down 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch. I would want the headstock spindle attachment to be able to unbolt, and the spindle not to protrude more than about 1 1/2 inch away from the headstock housing, so there would be no vibration when turning larger bowls without the tailstock. Most of the large lathes that can unbolt for removing the headstock housing have a bell type housing over the end of the spindle to house the bearings. This puts the bowl mounting another 2 to 3 inches away from the headstock. Variable speed from 0 to 3000. It is a crime what PM/Jet/WMH (or what ever) tool have done to the controllers on their lathes. My PM 3520A went down to 0, and if I wanted to change the settings on the lathe, all it took was a call to PM. Weight wise, maybe 1000 lb. and the bed extension on the end to cantilever out 18 or so inches so I don't have to straddle a let to turn the curves on the bowls. I guess, kind of like a VB36, only more. Insert Tim the Tool Man protosimian grunts here.....

robo hippy

5 hp?! that sounds dangerous,,, but i quess just about the same as me wanting a gear drive intead of a pulley

Reed Gray
05-04-2012, 3:54 PM
Curtis,
I mentioned to Bill Grumbine that I had no problem bogging down my Robust. He commented that he could bog down a VB36. Turning a 16 inch bowl, that is a long lever off the center of rotation, and when using a 1 1/4 inch scraper with the full cutting edge engaged for serious hogging, the 3 hp motor, even in low gear can't keep up with me. For sure, not for rookies who don't realize what they are getting into, but in the hands of some one more experienced, and if you keep the tool rest close enough, not a problem.

Like Pat's Fan on Woodnet says, "When sphincter tightening exceeds chuck tightening, you have a problem." That does assume that we are smart enough to know when our sphincters should be tightening.

robo hippy

Nate Davey
05-04-2012, 4:18 PM
After talking with Anatoly Tsiris:

5hp DC motor with heavy duty potentiometer
Big heavy solid spindle
Pillow Block bearing at the top of a sand filled pedestal
Long ways with provisions for weight coming off at 90 degrees to the center line
I-Beam crane over the works.

Lee Alkureishi
05-04-2012, 4:34 PM
Um...

If any of you actually get your wishes on this, can I maybe have one of your current lathes?

My wants are a little more modest...

:)

Chris Studley
05-04-2012, 4:42 PM
First start with currently available features:

24" Swing
Sliding headstock
4" total length, (not a spindle guy)
Small as practical Headstock with flat top (just big enough to hold Spindle and bearings) Similar to robust but maybe a little smaller
SS ways.
area under ways that doen't collect debris (like Robust/Oneway)
Long Travel tailstock quill.
Hardend steel tool Rests

Now some item that I'd like to see.

Secure, but quick disconnecting Banjo and tailstock (1/4 turn and securement would slip between ways)
3hp, Forward/rev EVS, motor with adjustable overcurrent/chucking feature to lessen blowout when you have a catch. Also adjustable speed ramp up/and deceleration.
Integrated "Smart" Vacuum Pump(internal hosing) which will ensure vacuum is not released while spinning and with leak detection/alert and/or compensation. This could feedback to motor to reduce available speed(or require specific override) while in Vac mode.
Strain Gauge that can measure weight of turning from the spindle while mounted, could have feedback to motor to eliminate unsafe speeds on large weighted items at least at start up.
IPod/MP3 player dock (or record player for those, who haven't yet updated.:))
logging of "motor on" hours and total spindle rotations, via encoder, and means to keep that info from you wife.

And Finally,

A Flux Capacitor (because who coudn't use more time turning) eh McFly?

curtis rosche
05-04-2012, 4:44 PM
Curtis,
I mentioned to Bill Grumbine that I had no problem bogging down my Robust. He commented that he could bog down a VB36. Turning a 16 inch bowl, that is a long lever off the center of rotation, and when using a 1 1/4 inch scraper with the full cutting edge engaged for serious hogging, the 3 hp motor, even in low gear can't keep up with me. For sure, not for rookies who don't realize what they are getting into, but in the hands of some one more experienced, and if you keep the tool rest close enough, not a problem.

Like Pat's Fan on Woodnet says, "When sphincter tightening exceeds chuck tightening, you have a problem." That does assume that we are smart enough to know when our sphincters should be tightening.

robo hippy

im kinda suprised no one uses a higher rpm motor and just gear it down more

Thom Sturgill
05-04-2012, 4:45 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1921713#post1921713)

Too many curlees flyin' to use one of those!

You've never heard of travel mugs?

Chris Studley
05-04-2012, 4:48 PM
I hope the folks over at Rubust are taking notes...

Roy Turbett
05-15-2012, 12:20 AM

When are you going to post pictures of the Serious you stole?

Rick Markham
05-15-2012, 2:31 AM
Um...

If any of you actually get your wishes on this, can I maybe have one of your current lathes?

My wants are a little more modest...

:)

I'm happy with my PM 3520B... but there is always room for a second Bigger one :D... I'll make room, even if means throwing the couch out by the curb :D (I can stop whenever I want:rolleyes:)

By the way, if the US Naval Shipyard in Norfolk ever decides to drop that monster off at my doorstep, I will gladly ship you my PM3520B :D

Kevin W Johnson
05-15-2012, 2:35 AM

Cupholder? Isn't that the thing that slides out on the front of a computer when you push the little rectangular button? :eek:

Kevin W Johnson
05-15-2012, 2:37 AM
Enough weight to make it stable, a premium continuous duty, 3 hp, fan cooled motor, premium electronics and variable speed, reversing capability, stainless steel ways, wide belts for full transfer of power on finely machined pulleys, a full array of toolrests, a well engineered dust collection attachment, tailstock swing away, sliding and pivoting headstock that will allow outboard turning anywhere along the bed, a tailstock and toolrest lock up that will not slip, a steady rest made as an accessory that comes with the lathe [of premium quality] a large 24 to 28 inch swing, about 55 inches between centers, premium machining on the quill, ways, spindle, pulleys, and a 10 year warranty! And a remote power switch.

I doubt they'd sell too many $20k lathes. You might have to make that one yourself. It's fun to dream though...

Bill Wyko
05-15-2012, 4:20 AM
I'd like to see a tool rest that locks like a router bit does on a router. It would have to have the ability to move the handle position like the current style does though.

Roger Chandler
05-15-2012, 6:49 AM
I doubt they'd sell too many $20k lathes. You might have to make that one yourself. It's fun to dream though...

Hey Kev,

If we don't dream, nothing improves! I like to think about what "can be" and not just about "what is!" ;):)

J.D.Redwine
05-15-2012, 8:43 AM
One that prints money.

Steve Schlumpf
05-15-2012, 8:59 AM
Lots of great ideas!! I really like the lathe I have but can understand Reed's request for a 5 hp motor! The one thing that I would like to add to my lathe... which is pure fantasy - is some sort of electric or hydraulic means to raise/lower the lathe. I have my lathe setup for hollow forms - which means the spindle height is 2.5" above my elbow. Works great for me when hollowing but when I want to do any spindle turning - the extra height makes for some uncomfortable positions. It would also be nice if the lathe had one of those auto-leveling features like the higher end RVs/travel trailers do!!

Reed Gray
05-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Steve,
That sounds exactly like what I wanted for a raising and lowering system for a platform to accommodate different sized students so I don't have to have 5 or more lathes to teach with. Hmmmm..........

robo hippy

Eric Holmquist
05-15-2012, 1:58 PM
Well if the sky is the limit, I would switch lathes to D1-4 Camlock mounts for chucks with a spindle bore big enough fr 5C collets.

I would add sensing for over speed on an unbalanced load that would roll back speed to a safe point.

This would allow raising spindle speed for small turnings

James Boster
05-18-2012, 7:13 PM
I would just like to get time to use the one I have! Already have one with 7 1/2hp, 3" spindle, wide belts, VFD for variable speed. Plenty of capacity just dont have the time to use it. Too much flat work to pay for all the bills. I did like the idea of one that prints money, maybe then I could do some turning.

Rick Markham
05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Steve,
That sounds exactly like what I wanted for a raising and lowering system for a platform to accommodate different sized students so I don't have to have 5 or more lathes to teach with. Hmmmm..........

robo hippy

I was about to say Reed, it sounds like Steve needs a platform that goes up and down. I could use one too.

Steve, you could just get some deeper shag carpet in front of the lathe! It would be softer too :D:p;)

Steve Schlumpf
05-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Rick - the problem with a platform is storage and also the possibility of falling off the thing! That's why it would be best to have that as a feature on the lathe - constant height no matter which side of the lathe you are working from. Plus - I do like the idea of having the lathe do an auto-balance!

Roger Chandler
05-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Rick - the problem with a platform is storage and also the possibility of falling off the thing! That's why it would be best to have that as a feature on the lathe - constant height no matter which side of the lathe you are working from. Plus - I do like the idea of having the lathe do an auto-balance!

I like that idea Steve........Brent needs to be working on that one! :D

Rick Markham
05-19-2012, 2:14 AM
Oooo good thinking, I never thought of that aspect. That would be nice!

Bill Wyko
05-20-2012, 1:48 PM
Another little thing I'd like. A place to attach the basic tools the lathe comes with. The rod to knock out the morris taper, the wrench for the spindle and possibly additional small attachments to hold chuck keys or pins for easy access.