PDA

View Full Version : Do I Really Have Select Soft Maple?

Ruth Ferguson
05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Have read a lot on wood grades but Schaller's description is little confusing to read. We ordered Select 2 face red leaf soft maple and as my last post read, 'wood looks dirty". Anyway this is the description on the invoice define BFT 1" RWX9'-10' S&B. SAP 1 FACE&BTR RED LEAF SOFT MA AMRL08SWB S2S 13/16" SLRIE. If anyone can advise us if this is indeed suppose to be select which we understand has no blemishes, i.e. stricker stain, knots, would appreciate another opinion.

Thanks, Ruth

Scott Holmes
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I think you are miss interperting the "select" designation... Select means ~ 83% is clear of defects. There are minimum "clear" sizes within the grades. First and Seconds (FAS) and First and Seconds one face (F1F) are both higher grades than SELECT. All three of these grades have 83.33% clear and the higher the grade the larger the defect free piece that can be cut from the board.

National Hardwood Lumber Association (NHLA: www.natlhardwood.org (http://www.natlhardwood.org/)).

Danny Hamsley
05-03-2012, 9:47 PM
Select is FAS grade (83% clear cuttings) on the best face and #1 common on the worst face (66% clear cuttings). So, there can be some knots and blemishes, just not many.