PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on gold

Joe Hillmann
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I was doing some searching when I came across this http://www.picturesongold.com/web/Color-Laser-Photo-Engraving.html (hope its ok to post a link). Does anyone know how this might be done? I am thinking that they are doing some type of sublimation and using a laser printer and calling it laser engraving, but if it really is engraved I would love to know how they do it.

Ross Moshinsky
05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
It's most likely some sort of transfer process. Anything full color like that essentially has to be.

Martin Boekers
05-03-2012, 10:55 AM
I tried tracking down the patent to see the process, but couldn't find it.
It seems a few years back I called them up to ask about the process and durability
they didn't want to confirm that a laser engraver actually did this. If you read
closely they say "Color Laser" or permanantly engraved. I'm guessing a lser transfer
with a protective coat. Let us know if you find out any more.

Joe Hillmann
05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I figure they are being misleading when they call it "full color laser engraving" and it is more likely some type of decal or sublimation that uses a laser printer and they assume no one will know the difference. If that is the case it seems like false advertising.

Joe Hillmann
05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Just did a search for dye sub on gold and by the looks of what they offer they are using jewelry from conde systems and it has nothing at all to do with lasers.

Martin Boekers
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
They get a pretty good price for it!

Chuck Stone
05-03-2012, 3:11 PM
I figure they are being misleading when they call it "full color laser engraving" and it is more likely some type of decal or sublimation that uses a laser printer and they assume no one will know the difference. If that is the case it seems like false advertising.

I would tend to agree, especially where they list a registration number for a trademark on
the pendant itself. You don't trademark a product, you trademark a word, phrase or symbol.
Anyone who has gone through the process of obtaining a trademark would know this.

Reminds me of the stickers they sell saying you have an alarm system in your house
when you don't. It probably deters some people but is essentially meaningless.
Couldn't find anything on the patent, either.

Joe Hillmann
05-03-2012, 3:28 PM
The funny thing is if you do a search for color laser engraving there are companies appear to be doing hotstamping and pad printing and calling it colored etching although with the pictures it is kind of hard to tell

Gary Hair
05-03-2012, 4:53 PM
I tried tracking down the patent to see the process, but couldn't find it.

Here is a link to the patent that they claim to have. Looks like a different process to me...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2224273.pdf

Martin Boekers
05-03-2012, 5:00 PM
Here is a link to the patent that they claim to have. Looks like a different process to me...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2224273.pdf

Yep...Unless setting posts into concrete has anything to do with it. :)
Plus that was patented in the 40's. HeHeHe!

Michael Kowalczyk
05-03-2012, 7:46 PM
OK Guys. Here is the link I found http://trademarks.justia.com/754/23/photograve-75423011.html
I can only assume that they trademarked the phrase "Photograve" because I don't believe you can trademark a process.

Kim Vellore
05-03-2012, 8:26 PM
What if you CE mark an image then gold plate it, I wonder if it will turn out like the picture in the laser engraving.

Kim

Martin Boekers
05-04-2012, 9:24 AM
The more I read the funnier it sounded! Here is a quote from their webpage,

"All photo pendants come with a Numbered Certificate of Authenticity revealing the trademark number."

The "magic" number will appear! :p Like the people who are buying these pieces really care about Trademarks
and Patents??!!

It sort of sounds like "Name a Star after Someone" where they type up all the names into a book volume and
send it to the Library of Congress. :rolleyes:

Very deceptive marketing to say the least.