PDA

View Full Version : Paw Paw grove

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
For the last few years, I've notices this little grove of maybe 7 small trees/saplings in my woods. The leaves are quite large, and they bear kiwi sized fruit! I'd never seen that type of tree before, and a week or so ago, when walking through the woods, I pointed them out (with their cool little dark purple blossoms) to my wife. We looked them up, and apparently they are Paw Paw trees. The fruit is actually edible. Kinda cool! I have NO idea where this grove came from...there are no adult Paw Paw trees anywhere else in my woods...

Belinda Barfield
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
From someone pickin' up Paw Paws and puttin' them in their pocket? :D

Belinda Barfield
05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Here's a Paw Paw recipe for you, Paw Paw Pudding.

http://www.ncfolk.org/ncfood/pawpawpudding.aspx

David Weaver
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I wish we had paw paw trees around here, I've never seen one. Apparently they were very common before apples became the orchard tree of choice (and more hearty than a lot of of fruit trees that are non-natives).

Bill Edwards(2)
05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
I believe they have some in Paw Paw Michigan.:D

Almost forgot:

Way down yonder in the paw paw patch.

Michael Weber
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Saw my first in bloom a few weeks ago along the Ozark Trail in the forest in Arkansas. Pretty little dark red flower. Didnt know what it was but ask an arborist late and found out that's what it was. Didn't notice a patch of them but understand they normally grow in groups which makes sense actually.

Art Mulder
05-03-2012, 1:01 PM
I wish we had paw paw trees around here, I've never seen one.

Check around your area, I bet you can find one if you have any nurseries in the area that specialize in native species.

For the last few years, I've notices this little grove of maybe 7 small trees/saplings in my woods. The leaves are quite large, and they bear kiwi sized fruit! I'd never seen that type of tree before, and a week or so ago, when walking through the woods, I pointed them out (with their cool little dark purple blossoms) to my wife. We looked them up, and apparently they are Paw Paw trees. The fruit is actually edible. Kinda cool! I have NO idea where this grove came from...there are no adult Paw Paw trees anywhere else in my woods...

We've been growing a couple in our city backyard for the past .. oh I forget how many years, 8-10 I think. We are at the extreme northern edge of the Carolinian Forest range, so I'm only barely in their growing area. They leaf out last, and lose them first, in our yard. You folks down south will have an easier time with them. Last year we finally got one, yes one, fruit off of it. (partly the squirrels fault.) It really did have a very interesting peach/custard sort of texture. They've got quite large pits -- nearly the size of a penny and twice as thick.

I forget what the botanical word is, but you need two trees for them to fruit, like many apple trees.
They're an understory tree, and like moist conditions. (My backyard is too dry!) Oh yeah, if you have seven trees now, Mike, you'll probably have more next year, as they spread via suckers also.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-03-2012, 1:07 PM
I can remember eating them as a kid in southern Illinois. Paw Paws and persimmons....you want those rascals ripe!

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 1:45 PM
Ken, I stupidly ate an unripe persimmon once...couldn't get that bitter taste out of my mouth to save my life!

Art, I had a bunch of fruit on them last year...didn't know what they were. Hope we have as many this year!

Bill, we have a Paw Paw, WV about an hour from me...

David, apparently, they were cultivated a while back. But didn't seem to make it big...kinda like the Betamax...

Belinda, thanks! I'll check that out...

David Weaver
05-03-2012, 2:00 PM
I remember reading on a permaculture forum that they're native, but you have to eat them at the right time and they don't keep like apples. I don't have the space to grow a tree, but I'd like to eat one sometime.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-03-2012, 2:27 PM
IIRC.....a properly ripened PawPaw tastes a little like a banana. An unripened one or green was hard and had little taste.

Now a persimmon on the other hand.....As Mike can testify......biting into an unripened persimmon will leave a lasting impression on your tastebuds and in your memory. Ripened they make a great pudding and taste a little like a date.

Danny Hamsley
05-03-2012, 9:43 PM
They taste like a cross between a banana and a mango to me. Delish! Here is a pic of some that I picked in a swamp in North Carolina. I disseminate a lot of paw paw seed on the highway between Plymouth and New Bern, NC that day :D.

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Yup, those look like the fruit that my trees are bearing... Of course, it looks like you like yours with a touch of salt. ;)

ray hampton
05-04-2012, 3:44 PM
They taste like a cross between a banana and a mango to me. Delish! Here is a pic of some that I picked in a swamp in North Carolina. I disseminate a lot of paw paw seed on the highway between Plymouth and New Bern, NC that day :D.

Mango is another name for a green or sweet pepper but not similar to paw-paw taste

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2012, 4:27 PM
Ray....mango is also a fruit..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango to which he is referring.....

ray hampton
05-04-2012, 5:09 PM
Ray....mango is also a fruit..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango to which he is referring.....

thank Ken, I know that but forgot to include the info.

Michael Weber
05-04-2012, 6:47 PM
Yup, those look like the fruit that my trees are bearing... Of course, it looks like you like yours with a touch of salt. ;)
Finally got it

Van Huskey
05-07-2012, 3:40 PM
Mike, was it you or one of your dogs that actually found them...

Mike Cruz
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Believe it or not, it was me! My little Hoover never paid them any mind... Go figure, something she actually COULD have eaten, but didn't. :confused:

Ryan Mooney
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
I tried to get some started at the last house we had. Finicky little buggers to get going, I moved before they really had a chance. I've never actually had the pleasure of trying them, but they _sound_ really cool :D

Looking at the picture from Dan I'd swear those were cucumbers!

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 2:26 AM
I tried to get some started at the last house we had. Finicky little buggers to get going, I moved before they really had a chance. I've never actually had the pleasure of trying them, but they _sound_ really cool :D

Looking at the picture from Dan I'd swear those were cucumbers!

cucumbers never taste so good as a ripe paw paw, almost like bananas

Jim Creech
05-08-2012, 7:46 AM
You guys are getting me interested. I am going to the nursery for some raspberry bushes so I think I will look into a few Paw Paw trees.

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 8:15 AM
You guys are getting me interested. I am going to the nursery for some raspberry bushes so I think I will look into a few Paw Paw trees.

red or black raspberry

Jim Creech
05-08-2012, 8:56 AM
I prefer red but will probably mix them up for variety. I also plan on seeing what else good to eat is there.

Mike Cruz
05-08-2012, 9:03 AM
Jim, you missed your Monty Python opportunity! Your answer should have been:

"Red...No! Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccckkkkkkk......... .."

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I not sure about raspberries, but blackberries briars seems to do better if they are in partial shade and fertilize might help too

Belinda Barfield
05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Mike, was it you or one of your dogs that actually found them...

Funny! "paw paw" Cracked me up!

Mike Cruz
05-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Belinda (and Van), I can't believe that slipped right by me! :o I didn't see the pun... That is likely because Van has met my dogs, and whenever I've spoken to him, he (along with pretty much any person I speak with) has heard me say "LEAVE IT!" to my garbage disposal 6 year old puppy (she still thinks she's a puppy...). That dog constantly grazes on grass (no not a stomach ache...just likes to eat grass in the Spring), and will eat any kind of poop she can find. Yeah, remember that any of you that might swing by here when she gives you a big smooooooch!

Jim Creech
05-08-2012, 1:18 PM

Dang! That one went right past me! I guess my mind ain't tarp as a shack anymore.

Ray,
A co-worker is bringing me some blackberry brambles this week. I've never grown any so I guess research is in order. Thanks for the tip.

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 1:54 PM
if I am not mistaken , they sell a version of blackberry that do not have any thorns , if you got enough land then why not plant a various of fruit berries,blackberry, raspberry, dewberry, gooseberry ,dewberry grow close to the ground

daniel lane
05-08-2012, 2:09 PM

Heh, I and I was thinking that the answer to how they got there in the first place was a migrating swallow, probably African. :p

daniel

Jim Creech
05-08-2012, 2:24 PM
if I am not mistaken , they sell a version of blackberry that do not have any thorns , if you got enough land then why not plant a various of fruit berries,blackberry, raspberry, dewberry, gooseberry ,dewberry grow close to the ground

I was told they are the thorn less variety. I have about 3/4 acre back yard that is mostly grass (weeds) and pine trees. I have decided this year to start growing something useful to myself and the local critters. I want to eventually make a sort of habitat with all sorts of interesting greenery, water feature, etc. I am tired of mowing weeds.
Unfortunately I must have a shrubbery before I may proceed!:)

Mike Cruz
05-08-2012, 2:25 PM
Yeah, if you wanted to cross the bridge, you had to answer these questions three: What is your name? What is your quest? And the third one is the one that would throw everyone but the first guy off. The first knight simple answered what his favorite color was, and was allowed to pass. The second knight, when asked his favorite color, chose one color, then switched his answer because he wasn't sure if he should answer with his actual favorite or what the other knight said. Then when King Arthur was asked the third question, it was not "What is your favorite color?", it was, "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" To which the King answered, "What do you mean? An African or European swallow?" To which the bridge keeper replied, "Well, I don't knoooooooooowwwww...." as he was tossed into the depths of dispare. Which, kinda brought the whole movie around since the opening act discussed the curiousities of how a coconut could have been brought to a temperate zone. One castle guard suggested that it could have been carried by a swallow. The other guard guard curiously asked, "What by grabbing it by the husk?" and adding that there is no way a 6 oz bird could carry a 1 lb coconut. And one of the nutcase guards suggested that it could have been carried by two swallows, joined by a string, under the guided dorsel feathers. AND FINALLY, the one says that Euopean swallows are much too small, but may African swallows could have pulled it off...

Okay, that was a little rusty, but I haven't seen the movie in about 10 years. That being said, I don't want to know how many times I've watched it...at least 30-40...:o

Larry Browning
05-08-2012, 2:25 PM
We had a paw paw tree that grew right next to the house when I was a kid. My dad said he had eaten one right by there and had spit out the seed. That tree produced lots and lots of paw paws. We ate some of them, but most just fell to the ground and made a big mess.

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 2:26 PM
Heh, I and I was thinking that the answer to how they got there in the first place was a migrating swallow, probably African. :p

daniel

because the swallow are black do not means that he migrating from Africa, the yellow canary are from Africa

Mike Cruz
05-08-2012, 2:27 PM
But after you get that shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest WITH.....a herring!!!!!

BTW, Jim. I'm all for what you are planning, but know that it will be a haven for ALL sorts of creatures...mice, snakes, spiders, ants...things you probably don't want in your house. Not saying don't do it, just be prepared.

Jim Creech
05-08-2012, 3:08 PM
But after you get that shrubbery, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest WITH.....a herring!!!!!

BTW, Jim. I'm all for what you are planning, but know that it will be a haven for ALL sorts of creatures...mice, snakes, spiders, ants...things you probably don't want in your house. Not saying don't do it, just be prepared.

Would that be salted, pickled or smoked Herring? Atlantic or Red?
I haven't considered the unwanted critters probably because there currently aren't any to speak of. Once a summer I do see a black snake passing through. Have also seen an owl and eagle in the area which may account for the absence of field mice and other such things. I am still early in the planning stage researching native plants so hopefully I can accomplish something worth while without going overboard. I do want to get a few Paw Paw trees though and go from there.

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 4:06 PM
Would that be salted, pickled or smoked Herring? Atlantic or Red?
I haven't considered the unwanted critters probably because there currently aren't any to speak of. Once a summer I do see a black snake passing through. Have also seen an owl and eagle in the area which may account for the absence of field mice and other such things. I am still early in the planning stage researching native plants so hopefully I can accomplish something worth while without going overboard. I do want to get a few Paw Paw trees though and go from there.

one important question, will the neighhood children be picking your paw paw when they ripen ?

Mike Cruz
05-08-2012, 5:14 PM
Isn't that what they made slingshots for...? Snap those little buggers in the butt when their fingers do the walkin'?

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 5:25 PM
Isn't that what they made slingshots for...? Snap those little buggers in the butt when their fingers do the walkin'?

Mike, what if the little buggers turn around and sit down , the result could be a shot in the FACE

Mike Cruz
05-08-2012, 5:39 PM
I would say that would be bad timing... Personally, I would have gotten a well deserved butt whoopin' for taking something that wasn't mine. But parents don't seem to do a great job of conveying that sort of thing anymore... Consequences for actions, I don't believe kids understand that these days...

daniel lane
05-08-2012, 6:16 PM
because the swallow are black do not means that he migrating from Africa, the yellow canary are from Africa

I simply meant to differentiate from the European swallow, the latter not as well known as being able to carry coconuts.

daniel

ray hampton
05-08-2012, 8:03 PM
I simply meant to differentiate from the European swallow, the latter not as well known as being able to carry coconuts.

daniel

No problem, if the swallow got a dose of coco, he could carry a coconut with each foot

Kevin W Johnson
05-09-2012, 3:56 AM
Bill, we have a Paw Paw, WV about an hour from me...

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. The neighbor across the street had a farm in PAW PAW till they retired, sold the farm and moved here.

Dan Hintz
05-09-2012, 6:26 AM
Mike,

Save a Paw Paw fruit or two... I'm in need of some small replacement trees in the backyard after that storm two years ago. The Dogwood in the corner looks positively pathetic.

Jim Creech
05-09-2012, 7:28 AM
one important question, will the neighborhood children be picking your paw paw when they ripen ?

Not likely as all the neighborhood children have all grown. My neighborhood is all empty nesters.

Mike Cruz
05-09-2012, 8:09 AM
Will do, Dan.

Mike Cruz
05-09-2012, 8:11 AM
Kevin, I've got friends with a cabin in Paw Paw, WV. We used to go there for long weekends and "get away". Love that place. Haven't been there in 15 years, at least. Might be going this year though...

Kevin W Johnson
05-09-2012, 8:14 AM
Kevin, I've got friends with a cabin in Paw Paw, WV. We used to go there for long weekends and "get away". Love that place. Haven't been there in 15 years, at least. Might be going this year though...

That cabin isn't at the nudist colony up there is it? :eek:

Mike Cruz
05-09-2012, 8:19 AM
And here I've been going to therapy for all these years... And you just solved it all! Maybe I should send you a big check for saving me all that money trying to figure things out with my shrink.

Didn't realize there was a nudist colony in Paw Paw. Knowing what I do about the area, not really sure I'd want to go...:eek:

ray hampton
05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
And here I've been going to therapy for all these years... And you just solved it all! Maybe I should send you a big check for saving me all that money trying to figure things out with my shrink.

Didn't realize there was a nudist colony in Paw Paw. Knowing what I do about the area, not really sure I'd want to go...:eek:

do any body in the nudist colony pack a concealed weapon ?

Mike Cruz
09-07-2012, 9:40 AM
UPDATE:

The Paw Paw fruit is ripening!!!! Two fell to the ground this morning. I've been walking past them everyday (twice a day) on my walks with the dogs. Every once in a while, I give 'em a little squeeze to see how they're doing. But today was the big day! I picked 'em up and brought them inside. Cut off the skin and dug in! Hmmm, interesting. I would say it is like a cross between a mango and a banana. Consistency of a ripe banana, taste is kinda mangoy but not as...sweet. Still, pretty cool. The seeds are PLENTIFUL in these fruit. They are large black seeds that look like lima beans. You just have to "filter" through those. Looking forward to the rest of the "crop". I'd say I've easily got another 30+ fruit on the trees. :)

ray hampton
09-07-2012, 2:41 PM
UPDATE:

The Paw Paw fruit is ripening!!!! Two fell to the ground this morning. I've been walking past them everyday (twice a day) on my walks with the dogs. Every once in a while, I give 'em a little squeeze to see how they're doing. But today was the big day! I picked 'em up and brought them inside. Cut off the skin and dug in! Hmmm, interesting. I would say it is like a cross between a mango and a banana. Consistency of a ripe banana, taste is kinda mangoy but not as...sweet. Still, pretty cool. The seeds are PLENTIFUL in these fruit. They are large black seeds that look like lima beans. You just have to "filter" through those. Looking forward to the rest of the "crop". I'd say I've easily got another 30+ fruit on the trees. :)

GOOD thing that I live so for away or the count would be 000
and they do not taste like sweet peppers but they will fool a banana eater

Ryan Mooney
09-07-2012, 3:33 PM
Nice - My favorite when I had access to good fresh mangos was mango Margaritas; I wonder how these do for that :D

Mike Cruz
09-07-2012, 3:46 PM
ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh. Might have to try that. Of course, I'd have to sift through all the seeds...:rolleyes:

Ryan Mooney
09-07-2012, 4:03 PM
For the mangos we'd freeze them and then blend with some lime / lemon juice and the appropriate additions :D
I'm wondering if you could just press these through a sieve and then freeze in cubes for something similar (I say having never actually seen a paw paw in real life :rolleyes:)

Mike Cruz
09-07-2012, 5:08 PM
Ryan, the fruit is a little smaller than a kiwi. The seeds are about 50% the size (but almost the exact shape) of lima beans. Each one contains about 8 seeds. And the "meat" sticks to the seeds... Doesn't sound like it'd be easy. But then again, the meat sticks to mango pits, too... Eating Paw Paw fruit (if that's what you call them) is...involved and active. Not a passive munching, like a banana.

Ryan Mooney
09-07-2012, 5:52 PM
Yeah mangos only have one seed though and there is a trick where you can cut up alongside the pit to remove it from each half pretty easily. When I had access to a tree two of us could pretty easily process a couple hundred pounds in a day or so.

These look somewhat harder/slower.. Here is a link to someone who did something roughly akin to what I was thinking of (googled "deseeding pawpaws") http://foodunderfoot.com/paw-paw-slushie Might not be worth doing in bulk but I'd be tempted to make one .. you know for science :D

ray hampton
09-07-2012, 7:38 PM
Yeah mangos only have one seed though and there is a trick where you can cut up alongside the pit to remove it from each half pretty easily. When I had access to a tree two of us could pretty easily process a couple hundred pounds in a day or so.

These look somewhat harder/slower.. Here is a link to someone who did something roughly akin to what I was thinking of (googled "deseeding pawpaws") http://foodunderfoot.com/paw-paw-slushie Might not be worth doing in bulk but I'd be tempted to make one .. you know for science :D

do people green pawpaw or wait until it turn mushy[like a ripe bananas, you can spit the seeds out unless you are a wimp or in a restaurant

Mike Cruz
09-07-2012, 7:54 PM
Ryan, you may be on to something there! I might try that if I get a bunch ready at the same time. Had two more fall off the tree today! I might have them for dessert. The other two didn't disagree with me. :)

Ray, I don't know. I'm waiting for them to fall from the tree so I know they are ripe. I don't want a green one!

Danny Hamsley
09-07-2012, 9:10 PM
Paw paws are delicious! Isn't Fall great?!

Brian Tymchak
09-09-2012, 9:44 AM
Eat up!! Paw Paws are considered a super food, like avocados. And if you are in Ohio (near Athens), they even have a Paw Paw festival! (http://www.ohiopawpawfest.com/) Disclaimer - I haven't been to it.

ray hampton
09-09-2012, 2:34 PM
Eat up!! Paw Paws are considered a super food, like avocados. And if you are in Ohio (near Athens), they even have a Paw Paw festival! (http://www.ohiopawpawfest.com/) Disclaimer - I haven't been to it.

a super food , how many meats are a super food ?

Mike Cruz
09-09-2012, 4:52 PM
Ray....not Paw Paw as in Grandfather. Paw Paw as in the FRUIT! :D

ray hampton
09-09-2012, 5:01 PM
Ray....not Paw Paw as in Grandfather. Paw Paw as in the FRUIT! :D

I bet that you will tell me that Bear Paw Paw are also a fruit when you get one to the head, will you eat a green persimmon and tell me how it taste a second after you eat it

Mike Cruz
09-09-2012, 6:30 PM
Nope, Ray, I will not tell you how a green persimmon tastes right after I eat it... Your mouth can't form words after eating a green persimmon! :D DAMHIK :o

Don't know about Bear Paw Paws...

ray hampton
09-09-2012, 8:55 PM
Nope, Ray, I will not tell you how a green persimmon tastes right after I eat it... Your mouth can't form words after eating a green persimmon! :D DAMHIK :o

Don't know about Bear Paw Paws...

WYSINWYG do not apply in this case, after you eat a ripe persimmon you will think that a green one will taste good AND IT do taste good and it do taste good and it do taste good

Mike Cruz
09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Sorry, Ray, I don't know this one...

ray hampton
09-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Sorry, Ray, I don't know this one...

are you talking about this, WYSIWYG, I put a N in by mistake
What You See Is What You Get

Mike Cruz
09-10-2012, 1:22 AM
Ray, I have to admit that I'm not sure if we're going around in circles here, or what... Honestly, I think you might be talking in metaphors. I have, however, taken a bite out of an unripe persimmon and I puckered like I've never puckered before...and I like "sour".

ray hampton
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Ray, I have to admit that I'm not sure if we're going around in circles here, or what... Honestly, I think you might be talking in metaphors. I have, however, taken a bite out of an unripe persimmon and I puckered like I've never puckered before...and I like "sour".

I may talk in metaphors but not on purpose,
I like sour foods too , why don't you sit down and get off of the merry-go-round

Mike Cruz
10-06-2012, 6:14 PM
NEWEST UPDATE:

Well, the Paw Paw trees are done baring fruit. All the fruit has fallen and all have been consumed. Here are my thoughts:

*Eating a Paw Paw one its own seems to be an acquired taste. It isn't bad, has a mangoy-bananay flavor, but a little pungent/gamy. So, I think that is a love it/hate it thing...
*I made Paw Paw pudding. Came out of the oven smelling devine. Didn't get to eat it until the next day (yes refrigerated), again, it was neat, but I don't think I would do that again.
*Best use (for me) was PawdaiquiPaws...Paw Paw daiquiris. Tasty drinks, I must say. But the labor involved in de-seeding them, um, made it not as good as other fruit and rum.

My brother and his son REALLY like them right off the tree. So, they won't go to waste next year. I'll just bag 'em up, and keep them 'til I see 'em.

ray hampton
10-06-2012, 6:29 PM
NEWEST UPDATE:

Well, the Paw Paw trees are done baring fruit. All the fruit has fallen and all have been consumed. Here are my thoughts:

*Eating a Paw Paw one its own seems to be an acquired taste. It isn't bad, has a mangoy-bananay flavor, but a little pungent/gamy. So, I think that is a love it/hate it thing...
*I made Paw Paw pudding. Came out of the oven smelling devine. Didn't get to eat it until the next day (yes refrigerated), again, it was neat, but I don't think I would do that again.
*Best use (for me) was PawdaiquiPaws...Paw Paw daiquiris. Tasty drinks, I must say. But the labor involved in de-seeding them, um, made it not as good as other fruit and rum.

My brother and his son REALLY like them right off the tree. So, they won't go to waste next year. I'll just bag 'em up, and keep them 'til I see 'em.

tell you what to try and this is to bag bananas and see how well they keep, the 2 ways to keep fruit are canning or drying , GOOD LUCK

did you get a killing frost ?

Mike Cruz
10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Ray, I read this "tell you what to try and this is to bag bananas" 5 times and can't make heads or tails of it. Yes, however, I do know that bagging bananas ripens them uber quickly. Actually, I misspoke. I put them in the fridge until they need transporting. Then I put them into a plastic bag. The recipient will have them within an hour.

No, no frost yet. Just all the fruit has ripened. No more fruit on the tree...

ray hampton
10-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Ray, I read this "tell you what to try and this is to bag bananas" 5 times and can't make heads or tails of it. Yes, however, I do know that bagging bananas ripens them uber quickly. Actually, I misspoke. I put them in the fridge until they need transporting. Then I put them into a plastic bag. The recipient will have them within an hour.

No, no frost yet. Just all the fruit has ripened. No more fruit on the tree...

I not surprise that you could not make head or tails out of my statements, bananas do not have heads or tails, bananas and paw-paw are similar so if bananas will keep by a certain method then paw-paw should keep too by using a similar method, dry fruit /canned fruit keep the best, waxed fruit keep good too but do not try to eat the wax fruit

Homer Faucett
10-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I will agree that ripe paw-paws do not keep very long. I used to get a few every year from the woods. I actually liked the flavor, but the texture takes some getting used to. I've never liked particularly ripe bananas, so that's probably the problem there. I had never eaten a mango until well after I had been eating paw-paws, so I'm going to have to try to go out hunting for paw-paws again. They don't last long in the woods, that's for sure. The critters get to them almost as soon as they fall.

ray hampton
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I will agree that ripe paw-paws do not keep very long. I used to get a few every year from the woods. I actually liked the flavor, but the texture takes some getting used to. I've never liked particularly ripe bananas, so that's probably the problem there. I had never eaten a mango until well after I had been eating paw-paws, so I'm going to have to try to go out hunting for paw-paws again. They don't last long in the woods, that's for sure. The critters get to them almost as soon as they fall.

are you sure that they fall to the ground ?

Mike Cruz
10-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Homer, I walked by my "grove" every morning and every evening while walking my dogs. So, I was sure to get them before there was too much damage to them. Though, occasionally, slugs and ants were on them quite quickly!

I would say I got about 50 paw paws this go around...

ray hampton
10-13-2012, 9:06 PM
pawpaw got a cousin in the tropical, papaya

Robert Nease
10-14-2012, 8:22 AM
I planted three on my seven acre mini-farm a couple of years ago. Still nurturing them, so I don't when they'll bear. But I do remember picking them up down in S. Ga as a young boy, and eating them on the spot. Never tried to make pudding, as Mama did all the cooking in the house. But now I am an older man, and I do all the cooking for my wife, me, and several times a week, all the kids and grandchildren. Can't wait for them to try paw paws. My other passions are woodworking and gardening, so I was pleasantly surprised to read all the posts in this thread. I am also very fond of ripe persimmons!

ray hampton
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
I planted three on my seven acre mini-farm a couple of years ago. Still nurturing them, so I don't when they'll bear. But I do remember picking them up down in S. Ga as a young boy, and eating them on the spot. Never tried to make pudding, as Mama did all the cooking in the house. But now I am an older man, and I do all the cooking for my wife, me, and several times a week, all the kids and grandchildren. Can't wait for them to try paw paws. My other passions are woodworking and gardening, so I was pleasantly surprised to read all the posts in this thread. I am also very fond of ripe persimmons!

are you talking about the persimmons that you buy in the store or the wild ones ?

Robert Nease
10-14-2012, 2:44 PM
Wild ones. I don't believe I have noticed any in the stores around here.

ray hampton
10-14-2012, 5:30 PM
Wild ones. I don't believe I have noticed any in the stores around here.

I bought persimmons in one store,the wild ones taste a good deal better

Jim Adkins
10-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Mike, any seeds left?? stick some in an envelope and mail them to me. I'll try to start some from seed.
Thanks.....Jim

Mike Cruz
10-15-2012, 7:40 AM
Awe, shucks, Jim. You're about two weeks too late. I most certainly would have sent them to you... But they are all gone by now. If you (or anyone else) reminds me next year, I'd be happy to send you some!