PDA

View Full Version : Lombary Poplar

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Anyone have experience with turning this wood? I've got a couple of these trees that are dead/dieing along my driveway. A few years ago, I trimmed some small branches off some of them, and seem to remember the wood being red... Not sure if I dreamed that, or if it really happened. Anyway, just curious to know what I might be finding before I even get into it, or whether it is even worth trying to turn any of it.

Also, I'm not 100% sure it is Lombardi Poplar, though that is what it looks to be from my tree books. It has a great sweet smell this time of year, the leaves look kinda like Aspens, and the leaves start to drop in late summer when it gets hot and dry...

Thanks for any info you may have...

Roger Chandler
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Mike,

I am not sure about the particular variety you inquire about, but we have a number of turners in our area who turn poplar on a fairly regular basis.........they are able to get some very nice bowls, etc from them.........one of which was that huge Monticello Poplar that some of our club turn.

there have been others as well, and even though the wood is generally softer than hardwoods, nice things can still be made from them, and they make good glue blocks and jigs, etc.

Rick Markham
05-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Mike,

we have a number of turners in our area who turn poplar on a fairly regular basis...

So you're saying Poplar is Popular? :D (sorry couldn't resist)

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 1:36 PM
Rick....:rolleyes: :D

Roger, I'm not talking about Tulip Poplar...the variety that grows naturally in the woods around here. Lombardi Poplar is a tree that grows very fast, and is usually planted in rows as a wind break...

Roger Chandler
05-03-2012, 1:51 PM
Rick....:rolleyes: :D

Roger, I'm not talking about Tulip Poplar...the variety that grows naturally in the woods around here. Lombardi Poplar is a tree that grows very fast, and is usually planted in rows as a wind break...

Thanks Mike........I am not familiar with Lombari poplar, so if it is fast growing, then it might not be a real stable wood.....I was just saying that a number of turners in our area bring poplar bowls, etc to our meetings, and they look pretty good. I think most of those are tulip poplar..........

..........and for Rick.........I guess the more popular poplar is more popular than the poplar that Mike was speaking about, and what makes it a more popular poplar must be that it has more popularity than the less popular poplar that is lacking the more popular status among popular woodturners who turn poplar! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 2:01 PM
Ha! :D Showed him...

Rick Markham
05-03-2012, 6:23 PM
..........and for Rick.........I guess the more popular poplar is more popular than the poplar that Mike was speaking about, and what makes it a more popular poplar must be that it has more popularity than the less popular poplar that is lacking the more popular status among popular woodturners who turn poplar! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

I bow down to you sir! That was hard to read, I can't imagine trying to type it!

Ted Calver
05-03-2012, 6:32 PM
That particular poplar is a soft wood... not great for turning, but turn-able. Lombardy poplar used to be widely planted as wind breaks but it inevitably gets hit by a fungus/canker (can't remember which one- hypoxalon maybe??) when it gets about the 6" diameter size and then dies. Another one of those species that served a purpose back in the day and now have been relegated to the trash heap because of some environmental issue.

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 6:49 PM
Ted, I'm not 100% sure it is Lombardy Poplar. It looks like it, but not positive. I have a couple that are easily 12-14" at the base. So, if LPs tend to die at 6", they may not be. Also, do you know if LP are particularly fragrant, Ted? These are...

John Keeton
05-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Mike, I have never turned it, but as to the canker, I think the onset of that is rather regional. We have lombardy poplars in this area that are easily the size of yours, though I do agree they are susceptible to the canker. In addition, I think the tree is really short lived, anyway, and most consider it a trash tree.

Hilel Salomon
05-03-2012, 7:09 PM
Long before I started turning, I planted a few lombardy poplars which grew like weeds. They're pretty, but, as John said, they are extremely short lived. As I recall, they were also quite leggy.

Mike Cruz
05-03-2012, 7:32 PM
Anyone know what color the wood is inside? Is it a blah white/cream?

Eric Holmquist
05-04-2012, 6:42 AM
I've turned one piece of Lombardy Poplar, also known as Mormon Poplar

Mike Cruz
05-04-2012, 8:01 AM
Thanks, Eric! That bark looks a bit diffferent than on my trees, but it is a small sample and could just be deceiving. I'm gonna have to go cut one down and check out what the wood looks like...

Eric Holmquist
05-04-2012, 8:06 AM
Got this piece of wood from Kirk DeHeer of CSUSA for correctly identifying the wood when he came to do a demo. He brought some chunks from Utah with him when he came out east.

Mike Cruz
05-04-2012, 8:12 AM
Sorry, wasn't questioning your wood as being Lombardy Poplar...questioning mine. ;) I really do remember that when I trimmed a branch, the wood was kinda red. Now, that could have been a wierd "branch" thing. Not sure. But I'll take the smallest one down and see what I find. If it isn't anything spectacular, I'll likely just trash it...

I was trying to find out beforehand what the wood (if indeed I have a Lombardy Poplar) looks like because if it were spectacular wood, I could easily find a couple of turning buddies to help take them down. If it isn't, I don't want to bother them. For now, I'm going to assume it is Lombardy Poplar, and not ask them to come over. Thanks for all your help, fellas.

Pat Scott
05-04-2012, 9:08 AM
"Mormon poplar" is what Mike Mahoney calls Cottonwood. Mike lives in Utah, hence the Morman reference. Tongue in cheek if you will. Never heard of Lombary poplar before.

Eric Holmquist
05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
From the state of Utah website

When it comes to trees and the Utah landscape, one tree dominates the memory, the Lombardy poplar. Rows of these tall, columnar trees planted as windbreaks provide one of the most evocative images of Utah. Wallace Stegner observed:

Wherever you go in the Mormon country...you see the characteristic trees, long lines of them along ditches, along streets, as boundaries between fields and farms.... These are the ‘Mormon trees,’ Lombardy poplars.

Rick Markham
05-04-2012, 1:20 PM
You're welcome for all my help! :rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
05-04-2012, 3:49 PM
What would I do without you, Rick?

Rick Markham
05-04-2012, 5:53 PM
You'd probably already have those trees cut down...