PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet question...

David Rose
04-29-2003, 12:17 AM
I'm building a cabinet to house paint and glue that can't freeze inside the house. It is going to be walnut with raised panel doors. I kind of wanted to put raised panels on the sides to "complete" the look. However, since the cabinet is only 10" deep total, *if the panels align with the door panels horizontally* I will have a rail at the top 4 1/2" tall and about that long. In the drawing it looks really weird and not much better if I add a vein across the middle. Also the panels would be 15 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" wide. Really tall and skinny.

Should the panels align horizontally? Or should I just use a solid piece on the side (it will work structurally) and just forgo the side panels? I can't find anything quite like this in any of my cabinet books.

Thanks

David

Jason Roehl
04-29-2003, 7:35 AM
David,

My visualization of what you described probably jives with you initial impression--I'd go with your gut instinct on this one and skip the raised panel on the side of the cabinet.

Just my 2¢

Bob Boake
04-29-2003, 9:48 AM
In some cases (pardon the pun) the pc seems just too narrow and out of visual balance with long narrow raised panels. The raised center can become narrow and look odd.

One option to give visual interest is to do flat panels on the sides that match the horizontal lines of the raised panel front doors.

Steve Clardy
04-29-2003, 10:04 AM
narrow up the stiles for the end panel. That would widen out the skinny looking panel.

Paul Geer
04-29-2003, 10:21 AM
More 2¢

I would go R and S with flat panels on the sides, and align them vert.

David Rose
04-29-2003, 4:30 PM
I drew it with flat panels last night with a top rail the height of the rail above the doors. Being flat, I think maybe it will not look bad that the panel will not align horizontally with the door panels which are the door rail lower.

I still need a "better" cabinet design book. I've got two good ones and peruse most of the mags for design. I guess that is part of the fun of "starting out" though I've been at it two years. ;-) Design has never been my strong suit, but it is fun... sometimes. ;-)

Thanks so much for the input.

David