PDA

View Full Version : Will this photo laser very well?

mike klein
05-03-2012, 7:31 AM
A customer emailed over a photo of their pet and want it engraved on Durablack for an out door sign. I don't do many photos so will admit I'm not an expert on this. The photo has a lot of white in it so my concern is if its going to engrave very well and has anyone ever done photos on Durablack material

Mike

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2012, 8:22 AM
Sure, it can do very nice. Not sure what durablack is, but there's no reason that photo can't do well. You'll need to work on it some to get it to do really well, but it can be done fairly easily.

mike klein
05-03-2012, 9:01 AM
Thanks Scott,

Durablack is made by the same company that makes Alumamark. Its rated for continous outdoor use and I've been testing it here at the shop for over a year now and it has held up perfectly, not a bit of fading and the adheasive is as strong as the day I applied the test plate.

I'll have to play around with that photo in Photograv and see what I can come up with.

Mike

Scott Shepherd
05-03-2012, 9:14 AM
Start with something like this....

Tim Bateson
05-03-2012, 9:15 AM
Drop the background out, increase the contrast beyond what looks reasonable and throw your PhotoGrav in the trash. Then just use the Epilog dithering and you'll get a great photo.