PDA

View Full Version : The One That Got Away

Deane Allinson
05-02-2012, 1:48 PM
I turned a green holly bowl a few weeks ago and was happy with the out come except that the wood was slightly spalted. I wanted to try another so I bought a 6 1/2" x 4 1/4", $7.00 blank from the auction site ($11.50 to ship). The blank had heavy wax but pretty clear and not as white as I expected. It was cut near the pith. I wanted it to warp into an oval and it looked just right. To make a long story shorter. I caught a snag with a round end scraper on the side and it tore off the glue block (super glue ultra gel), hit the floor and broke. You can see the snag in one of the photos. As it turned out, it warped as I had suspected. I am going to keep it as a reminder and try again. It would have been a nice one for me if it hadn't gotten away.
Deane

Bill Hensley
05-02-2012, 2:11 PM
Sad, just sad. Sometimes you wonder about the scraper, friend or foe? This time not so friendly...

Roger Chandler
05-02-2012, 3:05 PM
Bummer! It always seems to happen just as you have done all the work just about to completion..............seems like the grimlins are not happy until your work is almost done so they can inflict the maximum amount of frustration and disappointment! Looks like you had a nice one going, Deane.

Reed Gray
05-02-2012, 8:28 PM
Dean,
Been there and done that with a scraper. On the inside of a bowl, I NEVER use a scraper, flat on the tool rest for anything other than roughing cuts. From the pattern, going all the way around the bowl, that is what happened. It starts to vibrate/oscillate, and the vibration increases to the point where it finally digs in. This is usually accompanied by some screeching and howling sounds. Only shear cuts, with the scraper at a 45 or higher degree angle on the tool rest. I had a bowl similar to that, with the same oscillation marks in it that I would pass around during a bowl turning demo. Other than the catch, I love warping.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
05-02-2012, 8:58 PM
That's a pretty bowl, I really like the foot and the shape of it, and it's a shame it got away. Looks like a good excuse to make another one to me :)

Jim Burr
05-02-2012, 9:46 PM
Are you sure you can't save it Deane? Jamb the bowl side, true the foot and chuck or glue again. Maybe toss some contrasted stuff in the crack...espresso powder, oxide, maybe red coral? Looks like you can make a save. Or just jamb it and fix the split from there? Hang on to it for a while...you may get an inspiration and find a fix...put it on a shelf and move on. The stuff you've been turning is great!