PDA

View Full Version : About ready to purchase my first chuck - In need of help

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2012, 1:11 PM
I am not far from buying a chuck for my new 46-460, but as a neophyte in the world of turning, I am unsure what to get or even what to look for. My plans are to use it for bowls, boxes, plates, vases and finials. Is it possible to have one chuck serve all those needs? I need some advice.

Thanks.

Prashun Patel
05-02-2012, 1:17 PM
Yes. A decent chuck for that lathe is the nova g3. Any chuck will require An insert that allows it to thread onto yr spindle. It will also contain a generalized set of removable jaws thAt will allow you to hold most bowls plates and larger spindles. You can later buy addl jaws for the chuck that hold smaller or larger items respectively.

Normally, bowls are roughed out using a faceplate. If you google Jerry mercantel chuck plate, you can make a device at allows you to use the chucked from the start.

John Keeton
05-02-2012, 1:21 PM
I agree on the G3, it will do all the Delta can do! I would recommend the reconditioned one for best value - http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-G3-Wood-Turning-Chuck-48202-R.htm

It comes with the 2" (50mm) jaws, and that really is large enough for the 12.5" swing, though you may want smaller ones for specific tasks.

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2012, 2:02 PM
Thanks guys.

John - If I am reading this right, the reconditioned chuck does not come with an insert, which I think is approx. $35 on Nova's website.

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/Chuck-Accessories_c6.htm

It looks like this one from Amazon includes the insert for the same (total) money. Is that right?

http://www.amazon.com/WOODLATHE-CHUCK-WOODWORM-SCREW-INSERT/dp/B003CECDZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1335981173&sr=1-1

How do I know if that (Amazon's) insert will fit the 46-460?

Mike Peace
05-02-2012, 2:25 PM
Glen, I concur that the G3 is a great chuck for the 46-460. The Amazon one you referenced is a great buy. The 1" X 8 tpi adapter fits your lathe. I think you are confusing a spindle adapter with the chuck insert. The Nova chuck inserts are about $20 depending on vendor. A spindle adapter is more expensive as it is a bigger chuck of steel with more machining. It allows a chuck sized for a specific spindle to adapt to a different sized spindle. In other words you could use a chuck that fits a 1" x 8 tpi to fit a larger lathe with a 1 1/4" x 8" tipi. Some chuck do not have a removeable insert so that is why you would use an adapter. After you turn a while you can decide if you need a smaller set of jaws for some of your turning.

Jim Burr
05-02-2012, 2:27 PM
Lot's of threads on chucks in the past few weeks that can answer all those questions. The insert doesn't fit your particular lathe, rather the diameter and TPI of the spindle; Jet 1642 1-1/4x8...lots of other lathes do to. Refer to your manual and you can get your dimensions of your spindle. I got the insert for both Jets.

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2012, 3:11 PM
Lot's of threads on chucks in the past few weeks that can answer all those questions.

Hey Jim. I, in fact, did a "chuck" search of this forum. None of the threads I saw directly answered my question.

This is the second time (in the last few days) you have basically told me that there was no need to ask my question as it has already been answered in other threads or elsewhere on the Internet . Are you heading up the thread police for SMC or something? Perhaps it would be best if you simply ignored threads started by me, as there appears to be a pattern developing . I'm not sure how much you hang out on the 'General Woodworking' forum, but I can't tell you how often I see questions related to "What table saw should I buy" or "I need help deciding on a bandsaw". These questions, more often than not asked by a newcomer to the forum, typically generate responses that have been made many times in the past, and could have been accessed in a search. In spite of this, the newcomer gets multiple welcomes to the forum as well as helpful opinions regarding the question at hand, with little or no mention that someone else asked a similar question last week. I have been told that wood turners are the warmest and most welcoming group of folks one could want to meet. Do you turn, Jim?

BTW, I have been and will continue to pray for a successful surgery for you later this month.

Jim Burr
05-02-2012, 3:42 PM
I do turn Glen...had you done a search, you would have seen that. My point was and is that there was tons of information out there on that. Knowing that your question wasn't answered completely, I brought up the point about spindle sizes in an attempt to help you out with what I have learned...obviously it failed. Hope you did find some good answers never the less.

John Keeton
05-02-2012, 4:03 PM
Glen, the Amazon buy is a good one, and with free shipping, probably the better move!

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2012, 4:29 PM
There's a guy on e-bay that sells the G3 with insert of your choice for the same price and also ships free. Sometimes, if the item is not shipped and sold by Amazon themselves, the "free shipping" doesn't apply. Be sure that shipping is indeed free before you click.

Glen Blanchard
05-02-2012, 5:13 PM
John, Kyle - Thanks. I ordered from Amazon earlier this afternoon. As a Prime member, shipping is free and I will receive it in 2 days. This item is fulfilled by Amazon although sold by 'Woodworker Specialties". There is a guaranteed Friday delivery, which is what I was hoping for as I may chuck something up this weekend. I was fearful that y'all would have suggested one of those $300 + chucks I have seen, so this price makes me happy.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

paul vechart
05-02-2012, 7:03 PM
Glen,

I bought the Delta 46-460 and the Nova G3 a few months ago...this is a good match. You will be happy with your choice!

Kyle Iwamoto
05-02-2012, 8:52 PM
You didn't say you could afford a $300 chuck :)

Just kidding! I have 4 Novas, I think they are great for the price. Yes, I'd much rather have a Oneway, but I cannot afford them. I've used my G3 on the Delta, it's a nice lathe for sure. You'll love them both. Hurry up, turn something and post a pic!

Mike Goetzke
05-02-2012, 8:54 PM
Glen - I too just recently purchased a Delta 46-460, although, I bought a Supernova2. Maybe we can share notes. I have done flat-work for almost 40 years and decided to try out turning. Hopefully I get hooked because I already spent about half my lathe value on accessories. Don't worry about the responses you get from some users. Many are so experienced and been around so much they have seen us newbies ask the same thing over and over, but, that's how we learn. Also, the search engine on this forum isn't the greatest.

Good Luck,

Mike

Glen Blanchard
05-03-2012, 8:15 AM
I have done flat-work for almost 40 years

Hey Mike. Yeah, I have been strictly a flatwork guy for a decade now (I was in my early 40's by the time I developed an interest in woodworking). I have always done smaller stuff - boxes and such, and there have been an occasion or two over the last year that I really needed a finial. I had resorted to very simple finials. These I "turned" by chucking up a dowel in my portable drill and holding it against the belt sander. Crude, no doubt, but it got me to completion for a couple of projects that otherwise would have been sitting on my bench. I finally decided that I'd like to have the option of some more elaborate and refined finials. Thus the 46-460 purchase. However, now that I am learning what all is possible with this little lathe, my areas of interest are broadening. It should be a fun learning curve.