PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Porter Cable 14" band saw--- need backordered part.

Kevin W Johnson
05-02-2012, 2:42 AM
So I decided to start cutting an ambrosia silver maple bowl blank tonight. I noticed that my blade was way out of adjustment, no where close to the thrust bearings. I open the top door, and the blade is on the front edge of the wheel. I also noticed the back edge of the wheel was rubbing the back cover to the upper wheel. I knew at that moment something was broken, and upon disassembly and inspection I confirmed my suspicion. The hinge assmebly for the top wheel is cracked/broken. I thought to myself, well poo, but then I remembered it's still under warranty.

So I go to Porter Cable's website, only to discover the part I need is backordered and no indication is given on estimated re-stock status. I've looked around online a bit, and a few palces "claim" to sell it, however I get the feeling based on the 1-2 week shipping time, that they are not stocking them, but rather ordering it from PC as needed.

This brings to my question here, knowing that these machines are clones sold under many different names. Does anyone have first hand knowledge what other brand would be a sure fit for this part? I'd willing to buy one, and get my warranty part from PC when they get it in stock. I know can go tomorrow and look at a Jet band saw (maybe a steel city also) and see if it's made the same. But in my area that's about it. It's a 100 mile one-way trip to look at anything else.

The PC part number that I'm looking for is 5140101-03 hinge assembly.

david brum
05-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't know for sure that this will work, but there are remarkable similarities in basic design with the newer Grizzly 14" saws (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0555_pl.pdf). The way that the lower wheel is driven is unique, and perhaps indicates that the saws come from the same manufacturer? Grizzly is usually good about replacement parts, and prices are reasonable.

Kevin W Johnson
05-02-2012, 8:54 PM
Well I stopped in at Lowes today, where it came from. I talked to the guy working the tool section, and explained what was going on. Long story short, they didn't have any in stock so they told me to bring it back and they would refund it even though it had been a year and a half. The only down side is that it came in the form of a merchandise card rather than original form of payment due to the length of time.

The upside is that I can use the opportunity to get a different band saw, or jst go to another Lowes and get the same one. I'm leaning towards looking for a used Powermatic, I'm just not sure I can be without a band saw that long as they don't show up for sale that often around me.

Curt Harms
05-03-2012, 8:10 AM
It's great that someone at Lowes was willing to make it right for you. I seem to recall that Jet had an similar issue with upper wheel castings a few years ago. People that ordered a replacement received a redesigned or beefed up part. FWIW I've not heard of Grizzly or Rikon having an issue with their 14" saws ;-).