PDA

View Full Version : Maple

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Well it has been a long day and I am still not done. We had a tree trimmer take down a maple tree today that belonged to a friend of ours. She told us we could have it all if we wanted. With the coring on some blanks I think I have around 30 bowls and 8 vase blanks. We still aren't done. As you can see there is a big piece on the ground and the bigger trunk is still standing. It will be cut down tomorrow. I am figuring about 20 more bowl blanks and at least 12 or more vase blanks as that trunk is about 38" in diameter and measured 6 1/2 ft tall. The one on the ground is 7 ft long and around 33" in diameter. The tree trimmer told me if I would make him a big popcorn bowl I could come to his place to pick from walnut, maple, oak, hackberry, cottonwood, elm and cedar. Wooohoooo. I think I will throw in a really nice pen. Anyway it was a good, long day and this old man is sore and tired.

Jim Burr
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
What!?? All you did was have some one cut up a tree while you toss back an ice tea and you're tired!!!??? I'm pulling your leg! Looks like a great stash for the summer! Any curl or coloring that you've seen so far? Grab a cold one and put your feet up!

Ted Evans
05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice chunk of timber Bernie, that should keep you busy for a couple of weeks and best of all, you made friends with the trimmer.

Hayes Rutherford
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey Bernie that wood looks promising and should keep you out of trouble for awhile.

John Keeton
05-02-2012, 6:41 AM
Bernie, that is a bunch of maple!! The bark looks like silver maple, and I downloaded one of the pics so I could enlarge it enough to see the leaves. However, I couldn't get enough detail to tell. Love turning silver maple! In any event, congrats!!

Greg Just
05-02-2012, 6:59 AM
Nice haul Bernie - That's nearly a lifetime supply of maple. I'm with John - Silver maple is really nice to turn. About a year ago, I has a tree trimmer drop a large section in my driveway and I'm still using it. Can't wait to see what you make of all that wood.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2012, 9:35 AM
Thanks everyone. John yes it is silver maple. It does have some ambrosia and some curl in it along with some darker wood in the center. It was having problems for several years especially in the upper portion of the tree. Lots of internal rot but thankfully none from about the 20 ft mark down. The base of the tree is about 45" across. John the gentleman and lady said that they planted it some 40 yrs ago.

Jim the trimmer just took the tree down in 4 to 5 ft lengths and I took the cutting from there. 6 1/2 hrs straight cutting but the Stihl handled it well. So back today to get the 6 ft of trunk left. The old back and legs told me my age this morning when I got up.:eek::D

Tom Winship
05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Bernie, what is the name of your wood business going to be? Wholesale or retail? Nice haul and nicer promise.

Jamie Donaldson
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Good haul Bernie, and I hope you have a good supply of green wood sealer. There's enough wood to bury some for spalting!

Russell Eaton
05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Just think of the pile of shavings that are in your future.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2012, 6:54 PM
Thanks again. Jamie I just ordered 2 more gallons. I thought about doing some spalting.

Russell I just mulched out by our alley with about a years worth of shavings. I put black plastic down and then covered it with at least 4 to 5 inches of curlies.lol

Tom I am going to have to get to turning as I just got a load of walnut also. Don't have anymore room inside.:D

charlie knighton
05-02-2012, 8:05 PM
great gloat and find, great to have friends like that

Jim Burr
05-02-2012, 8:48 PM
That should keep you super happy for a while! Split'in that mess is gonna wear you out. See you in church on Sunday...bbq and sleep. Can't wait to see what you grab out of that stack!

Rich Aldrich
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice haul Bernie. I understand how that darn chainsaw can tire you out. I cut in the woods for my dad during summers in high school. That is why I went to college for engineering. Now I cut for turning and for feeding my outdoor wood boiler. Just got a load of firewood yesterday so I will be picking turning wood out of it. It is mostly beech.

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks. Yep Jim had BBQ and a couple of cold brews. I am a happy camper now.

Rich what I didn't cut for me was cut up into firewood. Not sure how many cords but I cut for two solid days.

Steve Schlumpf
05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Bernie - Congrats on all that Maple but more importantly - CONGRATS and your new contact in the tree trimming business! That - my friend - is gold! Be safe cutting all that wood up!

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks Steve. It is all cut up and stacked away. The trimmer is a nice guy and was tickled to death when I gave him a pen for cutting some of the larger pieces for me.

Pete Jordan
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Nice haul Bernie!!!

I know you will make the best of it!

Rick Markham
05-04-2012, 1:16 PM
Wow, what a haul! You're a lucky man indeed. Congrats Bernie, can't wait to see what it becomes.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks Pete and Rick. As soon as I get these 3 platters done and pryo'd I will be turning or coring.

Thom Sturgill
05-05-2012, 8:19 AM
Nice haul and a new friend. Take care of both, Bernie, and they will take care of you.

Scott Hackler
05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Awesome Bernie! I love turning silver maple. Almost too much fun spinning the curlies off the blank that I have to be careful not to "peel" the whole blank away! :)

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks again. Thom I will take care of him for sure. Scott funny you should mention flying curlies. I always kick the lathe up a notch to see if I can get them to hit the garage door or how long of a curly I can make.:D