PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Trimmer Recommendations

Joe Unni
03-30-2005, 6:19 PM
Hey all,

I've been contracted to build four mobile, medical equipment test tables. They're all the same size and they're all to be covered with laminate - all parts - the top, legs, stretchers etc. I'd like for this to go as quickly and painlessly as possible. I didn't really even want the job - priced the junk out of it - and got it anyway. I've got a 1/2" trim bit for my router, but it's my guess that a "trimmer" will do a better job.

The laminate is to be delivered tomorrow and I'm hoping to get started on this project at the beginning of next week.

I'd really like a "no kidding" recommendation.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Hoa Dinh
03-30-2005, 6:54 PM
PC310

Beware of the design in which the motor is attached to the base with just one screw (e.g. PC7310). It will drive you nuts if you use it for precision work. That design does not guarantee the motor (thus the bit) is perpendicular to the base all around. For example, if you use it for a roundover operation, you have to make sure one particular edge of the base is always against the workpiece. Otherwise you may have a perfect roundover on one side and a ridge on another side of the workpiece.

The problem with the PC310, beside the high price (worth it, however), is that you can't buy it from the local BORG.

Check out the new Ridgid. I've never used it myself, but it looks very good to me.

Russ Massery
03-30-2005, 6:59 PM
Joe, I have the Porter Cable 7310 it's served me well over the years. I find Myself using it more for rounding over 1/8" to be exacted. hope it helps.....

Doug Shepard
03-30-2005, 7:04 PM
It would be easier from a muscle fatigue standpoint with a trimmer, but no reason you couldn't use your router. I've been pretty happy with the DeWalt trimmer kit.

Cecil Arnold
03-30-2005, 7:22 PM
I agree on the 310, it's just better. After the job you will find yourself using it insted of your larger router wherever you can. The one fault I can find with it is the collett will stick if you overtighten the nut.

Jerry Clark
03-30-2005, 7:29 PM
I recommend the trimmer router-- The work will go much faster and easier to handle. I have the PC (With the one screw holdown) and it works very well for trimming laminate and 1/8 ply. That is all I use it for! You will not be sorry-- but get a good carbide bit!

Steve Clardy
03-30-2005, 9:17 PM
I have five of the pc7310's. Nice hard working little trimmers.

Dave Falkenstein
03-31-2005, 12:34 AM
I have two PC laminate trim routers - 7310 and 310. Both are good motors. The 310 is WAY easier to adjust for bit height, and somewhat better at viewing what you are cutting at the bit. It is next to impossible to adjust the 7310 accurately - it's a trial and error process. The 310 can be accurately adjusted and quickly too. I now use my 7310 in a jig for one purpose, where the bit height never changes. I would strongly recommend the 310 over the 7310.

Steve Cox
03-31-2005, 1:01 AM
I like the PC310, hate the 7310 or anything like them. I find it impossible to adjust bits to depth because tightening the base causes the depth to change. I bought the new Ridgid a couple of months ago and have been fairly pleased with it. I don't like it as well as the PC310 but it is a lot cheaper. Three areas of difference:

1. PC is flat on top which means you can set it down upside down to change bits or to rest while you adjust your work. Ridgid is sloped on top which means you can't.

2. PC is a physically larger router (diameter wise). Larger is better for my hands but you might be different. The Ridgid is not bad in this area but for me the PC is better.

3. In use I fibd that the Ridgid gets quite a bit warmer than the PC. Not uncomfortably so, but noticeable. I don't know yet if this will be of concern for longevity.

On the plus side for the Ridgid, I think the depth adjustment works as well or better than the PC, the soft start is nice, and the fences that come with it are useful in certain applications.

Bill Arnold
03-31-2005, 6:19 AM
Like others who posted here, I also have a PC7310. It's a good, tough machine and probably worth the $100 or so the borg charges for it. However, I also have two of the HF trim routers -- the one that is always on sale for $20 -- that seem every bit as tough as the PC and are easier to adjust. I first saw the HF in operation when I worked in a cabinet shop a couple of years ago. I used it a little and went to HF and bought one. After using mine a while, I went back and bought another one. Now, my PC sits in the drawer most of the time while I use the HF's for flushing or small roundover jobs.

Regards,

Dennis McDonaugh
03-31-2005, 9:31 AM
Joe, There have been two issues with the PC 7310, sticking bits in the collet and the bit not perpendicular to the base. Do a search of the archives here and look at tool reviews on Amazon. The PC production trim router has gotten rave reviews although its more expensive. The Dewalt has also gotten got some good reviews and I remeber a few people bought the new Rigid. Maybe they can chime in with their thoughts.