PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic tablesaw plus workbench

Lewis Ehrhardt
05-01-2012, 1:42 PM
Anyone who's got the PM tablesaw plus the workbench care to share with us your likes and dislikes? Seems like a good idea, just curious how it works out. Thanks Lewis

frank shic
05-01-2012, 2:16 PM
very clever:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2061082/22081/PM2000-10-Tablesaw-3HP-1Ph-230V-50-AccuFence-System-and-Workbench.aspx

Mike Heidrick
05-01-2012, 2:32 PM
Looks lik ethey went cheap on it. It used to be an end grain glued up bench.

Jeff Heath
05-01-2012, 2:41 PM
I think the quality of your woodworking will go up immensely if you are working on a proper bench with proper workholding capabilities. It doesn't need to be expensive or huge or named after a french guy. It does need to be flat and big enough to hold the parts of the furniture you want to build. Make it out of plywood and MDF if you like, and nail it all together, but make sure the top is flat, and you can hold your work well on it.

I don't think that saw-bench-combo gets the job done. At least, it would never work for me. Terrible vise, no dog holes, no clamping capabilities, etc....

Jeff

Chris Padilla
05-01-2012, 2:50 PM
I see dog holes, Jeff. Click on the pic to enlarge it a bit. :)

Jeff Monson
05-01-2012, 4:40 PM
Looks lik ethey went cheap on it. It used to be an end grain glued up bench.

You are correct Mike, when I looked at them a year or so ago the table was a butcher block design.

IMO I cant see the advantage of having a workbench on the end of my tablesaw. I'm all for combo units...but for a workbench, I prefer a standalone unit.

Jon Middleton
05-01-2012, 4:52 PM
I agree, it looks like a terrible idea. My PM has the extension table with the Jessum router lift, which actually works pretty well. My workbench is stand alone, with two vices, and makes much more sense. The extension table on my PM looks the same as the photo, and is just melamine. I can't imagine using a bench dog in it.

Dave Anthony
05-01-2012, 5:46 PM
Looks like a workbench that's ready to rack & rock.

Brian Kincaid
05-02-2012, 9:54 AM
I always shudder to think about hammering (vibration) on a precision tool. For carving, assembly, glue-ups, chisel, mortise, I do a lot of mallet work on my workbench. I wouldn't want any of my machines to take that stress.

-Brian

Dave Anderson NH
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I normally don't trash products, but in this case I'll make an exception. This bears about as much resemblance to a workbench as a Yugo did to an automobile. You can't pound on it as Brian noted without knocking the saw and the saw end of the table out of whack. The vise is simply awful and poorly placed. I could go on, but you get the general drift. The only positive thing I can say about it is that the saw is a good one.