PDA

View Full Version : Oiling an electric motor

Bob Weisner
03-30-2005, 6:04 PM
Hi:

I was looking at my tablesaw today as I was getting ready to do some spring woodworking. As I was cleaning the dust off the motor, I noticed that it has a spot on the motor where it says " OIL" The tablesaw is a Sears Craftsman about 8 years old. It has a 1 1/2 hp motor. Any idea as to how much oil I should use and how often?

Thanks,

Bob

Harry Goodwin
03-30-2005, 6:40 PM
Most older motors have a wick type oil port. I was always told not to let it go dry but likewise allow it to absorb electric motor oil. Too much will get where you don't want it. Oil will be drawn to heat anyway.

Jerry Clark
03-30-2005, 7:37 PM
Just put a couple drops every couple month or so-- The wick will retain the oil. Use 30 OR 40 WT not multi-viscosity.

Hoa Dinh
03-30-2005, 7:41 PM
I don't know if it is the same spot. But I once had a 25 yr. old Craftsman with the original 1 HP motor with a spot saying "OIL."

Once a month, I gave it 1 drop of non-detergent 30W motor oil. This is per recommendation of a local machinist. I'm still not sure why the oil needed to be non-detergent.

Bill Turpin
03-30-2005, 8:28 PM
The detergents and additives in automotive oil are anywhere from 30 to 50 % by volume. They are there to get rid of and protect from the products of combustion. They are not needed in electric motors. ND oil will last longer in an electric motor. An old rule of thumb is ten drops of 10 or 20 weight ND in each bearing every 6 to 12 months. Thirty weight sometimes will not penetrate through porous bronze bushings. Increase frequency with elevated use or temperature.

It is best to use the manufacturers instructions. Too much oil will cause many problems, as will too much grease in ball bearings.

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Mac McAtee
03-31-2005, 9:41 AM
You can buy a nice little 4 oz or so rectangular can of 20w machine oil at most home stores. Has a little red spout that you pull up, squeeze the can and can control how much comes out by how hard you squeeze. It is made for this kind of application and perfect for the job. Puts the little red spout back down and it seals the can so sawdust doesn't get in the can.

Same oil can be used on whet stones and any other application that needs just a drop or two of oil. I bought a can about 10 years ago just for this kind of application, still using the same can today.