PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful mesquite bowl from Kathy Marshall

Curt Fuller
05-01-2012, 9:02 AM
Over on WTA there has been a bowl swap going on. I was fortunate enough go draw Kathy Marshall to swap with (unfortunate for her though). I really love the things she turns from her Arizona mesquite and the bowl she sent is a real beauty. One of the rules on the swap was that you had to take a pic of yourself holding the bowl so you have to look at my mug shot too. But this bowl is so nice I thought I should show it off here.

I wish the pic showed this better, but there's a really cool spiral textured band on the bottom that looks so sharp. And she even burned a personal inscription. Thanks Kathy!

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2012, 9:07 AM
Congrats on your bowl Curt! Great photos!! Looks like spring has hit your neck of the woods! Still waiting here!

Ken Glass
05-01-2012, 9:42 AM
Curt,
You couldn't have gotten a better draw. A beautiful bowl indeed. I would bet that Kathy got a piece just as nice. I hope she posts it here, too.

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Beautiful bowl Curt and nice pictures.

Dave Mura
05-01-2012, 2:34 PM
Nice pictures and a beautiful bowl!
http://chdsolutions.com/img/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/cabad3b9bc0afe08cd9ec861638ed1d9.gif

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-01-2012, 8:28 PM
Curt,
Talk about luck of the draw!! Beautiful bowl Kathy sent but doing a personal inscription makes me sure she is the great lady I suspected she is.
By the way, we've seen your work and someone out there is lucky to have a piece of it.
faust

John Keeton
05-01-2012, 9:22 PM
Nice bowl, Curt, and great pics!! I am betting it was a pretty even trade, though, as both you folks are superb turners.

Really nice landscaping in the background - is that your making or Ms. Fuller?

Kathy Marshall
05-02-2012, 1:36 AM
I'm just glad Curt is happy with the bowl, because I think I got the best end of the deal!
Curt turned a beautiful bowl from Osage Orange. It's got some great details, excellent finish and I just love the form and color! My crappy pics don't even begin to do this bowl justice and it now proudly resides on the shelf reserved for my collection of turnings from other turners.

Michelle Rich
05-02-2012, 7:14 AM
she swapped you a beauty! lucky you!

Roger Chandler
05-02-2012, 8:25 AM
Two very nice bowls! ........Great work both of you! For form, I like the ogee because it has a "fancy" feel to it, and that osage orange is just really pretty.........I like the rim treatment, the burn line on it as well, and the bottom is finished off nicely!

Kathy's mesquite is more utilitarian in form, and is nicely turned. I like the wood, the beading treatment of the rim and the bottom is finished off nicely as well, with the textured ring and the inscription.

Either of these turnings would be a prize to own...............nice work you two!!! Thanks for sharing with the SMC family!

Curt Fuller
05-02-2012, 8:38 PM
There were a lot of nice bowls exchanged and I think everyone was pretty happy and had a good time with the swap. Robin Costelle organized it and it's the first real substantial turning I have from another woodturner. So I'm looking forward to future swaps to add to my collection.

Really nice landscaping in the background - is that your making or Ms. Fuller?

John, the blooming of my snowball bush (viburnum) and the leafing out of a japanese maple just happened to coincide with the day I got the bowl. But actually that's just one small corner of my yard. The rest is landscaped by my 15 month old labradoodle. So you can about guess what's left of it.

Nick Stagg
05-03-2012, 1:11 AM
It is a beautiful bowl!

Kathy Marshall has to be one of the most productive turners I've seen, and her turnings are all top notch. I'm not sure her lathe is ever turned off!