PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade tracking with wider carbide blades - A question

Glen Blanchard
04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
I just received my first carbide (-like) bandsaw blade today, Laguna's Resaw King. It is now installed on my MM16, but I have a question about tracking. Is there an ideal spot on the tire for a carbide (or carbide-like) blade to track? Should it be on the crown and thus centered on the tire or should it be offset some? Does it even matter? I have my 1" RK tracking in such a way that everything behind the gullet tracks on the tire while the gullet and carbide tips hang off the edge of the tire. I'd sure like to know if I need to change this configuration before I damage an expensive blade.

Thanks.

David Hawxhurst
04-30-2012, 11:07 PM
it should track were ever it gives you a straight cut. i have my fence parallel with the miter slot and adjust the blade tracking so that i get a straight cut and don't adjust my fence. blade tracking is easier to adjust then my fence.

Van Huskey
04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
On a flat tire track the gullet/tips of a wide carbide blade off the front of the tire. Sounds like you have it correct.

jerry cousins
05-01-2012, 10:02 AM
on my mm16 the tires are flat - teeth just hanging proud of the edge.
jerry

Mike Wilkins
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
On my LT18 my Resaw King has its teeth just off the front of the wheel using a 1" blade. If I remember correctly, the instructions that came with my saw states that wider blades may hang ten, which is normal. Good luck and watch those fingers. Count to ten.

Van Huskey
05-01-2012, 8:34 PM
Thinking more about it today I really just hang the tips off, maybe some of the gullet but not all of it on wider blades with deep gullets. The main thing is with flat tires the teeth set of the teeth (carbide teeth don't have set but you know what I mean) need to be off the tire or it will eat the tire up.